Engine & Gearbox Pinking noise

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by sweep, Sunday 9th Sep, 2012.

1. sweep New Member Getting Started

i have a accord 2001 Y-reg 1.8S with engine code F18B2E.Recently it started making the chagning noises asscoiated with enging pink.I changed the plugs and that seemed to have cured it.But it has started again when needing to give it a bit of welly.

Can anyone help with waht else it might be,does it have a knock senser and can the timeing be adjusted as there is no Haynes manuel on the uk model. I spoke to haynes and they said there isnt one for the uk as not enough were sold to justify printing one..

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome to AOC

What of fuel are you using? Check the engine timing and see where the marker in on the pulley?

3. sweep New Member Getting Started

unleaded 95 RON as per the owners manuel,allthough it does say 95 minimum so i guess i can use 97.How can i check the timing and which pulley,these cars don't seem to be able adjust the distributer postion refrence timeing.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Sweep,

Are you using supermarket fuels I have loads of cars on my street who use Tesco and Morrison's fuel and their and they knock in high gears.

There is a difference in 95 RON from where you get it. The 6th Generation Honda Accord does have adjustable timing you have bolts which can advance and retard the ignition. if you know you can do this then i suggest you get hold of a timing gun .

The process to check the ignition timing is simple.

First ensure there are no load conditions i.e : headlights, blower fan, rear window defogger, and air conditioner are not operating.

Loosen the distributor mounting bolts (A), and turn the distributor ignition housing counterclockwise to advance the timing, or clockwise to retard the timing.

Shine your timing light on the main crankshaft pulley

6th gen Dizzy bolts AOCUK.JPG

6th gen Timing mark on crank pulley AOCUK.JPG

You timing setting for the above three engine is

12°±2°BTDC (RED) during idling in neutral

PeteMM likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    sweep any feedback on this ?

6. sweep New Member Getting Started

sorry but i don't habe a timing gun and for some reason it has happened for a while. I stoped useing supermarket petrol unless i have to but now allways use Esso fuel..

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Atleast you know now your Accord has an allergic reaction to supermarket fuel.:Wink:

8. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    CJ

Old thread I know but I too have occasional pinking in sixth on long Motorway hill climbs and hard acceleration in third, for as long as I have owned the car (at least 5 years) - 1.8LS manual. With high revs in other gears, and into V-Tec, the problem does not seem to occur. I use either BP or Shell 97 Octane only

Honda have checked it twice and found no fault - I have also had the Timing Belt renewed, again with Honda, last year, - who presumably would have reset the timing.

I was going to ask whether this Honda could be treated like older generation cars to fix timing problems by turning the distributor, and lo and behold I have found your diagram showing that it can be done:Niceone:

However, older generations did not have all the sensor gubbins that cars have today. Will a timing change make any of the sensors do something different, or could my problem be a sensor rather than timing?

Any advice appreciated

Thank you

Phil

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    All new gen Honda have knock sensors fella they will retard the ignition if poor quality is pumped through but it should not be pinking and fall back into place when its sense good fuel.I would first see the status of the fuel filter then use a few tanks of proper petrol from established petroleum companies.

Then look at ignition timing or clogged fuel filter fella.

10. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    BP and Shell not proper?:Blushing:

Thank you for the quick reply CJ. I'll have a look at the fuel filter first. I'm rather loath to touch the timing when everything else works so well (touch plastic door capping wood!)

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    BP and Shell would be the two most recommended, either BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power :Smile:

Phil P likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They are mate but without looking at the other factors its a guess to the source. Get a proper tech with a timing light to have a look for you and the fuel filter. There is a 6th Generation fuel filter DIY you can have a go if you want.

Phil P likes this.
  13. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Cheers lads.

I like this forum

Phil

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds