General Pioneer AVH-X8700BT - Time for me to start saving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RogerH69, Monday 30th Mar, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I see that the Pioneer AVH-X8700BT is now available in Europe, and fully supports Android Auto (and for those that don't know better, Apple CarPlay)

Currently going for £550 to £700, depending on where you buy it

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Looks a good unit. I'd want to test out Android Auto before committing to a purchase though.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm hoping that I can find a unit to test with my phone in a shop.

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

WOOHOO !!!! I just placed an order for this baby. Should arrive sometime after Wednesday.

Did some more research, and at the moment, the apps that will work on in Android Auto mode are a few Google apps (music player, maps, Google Search). However, third party app developers can also convert their apps to work with Android Auto if they so desire. It also seems that this unit does not have the codec incompatibility issues that my current unit has (I struggle to get it to play any videos other than DVDs). I wanted to get the Pioneer satnav addon unit for this, but it seems it does not support one, probably because it will use Android Auto or Apple Carplay for this.

I'll see if I can do the install of the head unit myself (it SHOULD be a simple swap, as I already have a Pioneer double din head unit).

As this is probably the last head unit I will get (as it's the one I've been waiting for), I think it's also time to get an active sub put in the boot (removable obviously) and maybe also get some up-rated door speakers. I'll most likely get this done by Oxford Car Audio.

Bones126 likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Will be to see what you think of this new unit.

RogerH69 likes this.
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

LOL well, at the price I paid, I better love it !!! :Grin:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

:Grin:

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Congrats bud, I'm going to get my 4th head unit in just over 2 years now. No doubt yours is a lot better.

I know its a bit late but whenever shopping on Amazon for the past month I've pretty much used the french and spanish sites due to weak Euro. The headunit I wanted was £199.99 here but I got it from Amazon.es for £133 delivered. For what its worth, here's a link to amazon.de for your head unit:

Roughly £435.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @Chunkylover53 , I'll keep that in mind. That's about 10% cheaper than what I paid :-(

10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @RogerH69 - if you are wanting to find a home for any of your unused headunits, let me know. Want to upgrade the one in the EP2 for the missus as she is moaning about the stock radio and not being able to play MP3s etc.

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Sure. A mate has already called dibbs on my current one but if he doesn't want it I'll let you know. I still have the one I had before that but unless you connect a phone or iPod to it, its just a touch screen radio (and if using apple devices, it needs an older iOS)

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@Nighthawk sorry but my mate just confirmed he still wants it. Really sorry. You're welcome to the other one (SPH-DA110) for free but I don't think you'll like it

Nighthawk likes this.
  13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I just found out that this unit has an HDMI port on it as well. That indicates that it might support full AppRadio Mode (i.e. it will mirror my phone's screen and allow me to control the phone using the head unit's touchscreen.

Now to try and find the connectivity kit I purchased for the previous AppRadio headunit I had....

Only problem is that the AVH-X8700BT doesn;t come with a GPS antenna, so it will need to use the GPS sensor on the phone, so this means leaving the phone with clear line of sight to the sky. To be honest, this limitation also exists for using Android Auto, so no way around it. But at least till Android Auto gets more apps supporting it, I can use AppRadio Mode if I want to use any of my Android based navigation / in car apps.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I also saw a video on YouTube of a guy using an Android app called Car dashdroid, and it looks nice. Nothing fancy, but it looks nice a clean, simpel interface, which is what you want when driving, so it's easier and quicker to navigate through the app (and hence spend less time looking at the screen). Once I have the head unit installed, I'll give this app a go, once I get ARUnchained installed and working again on my phone (which should be simple, as there's a guide on this knocking about here somewhere :Smile: )

SpeedyGee likes this.
  14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks to advice from Ryan (I think it's Ryan and that he's @accordk24 ) at Oxford Car Audio, I cancelled my Amazon order for this head unit, as apparently Pioneer has issues with warranties for items purchased on Amazon (proof of purchase etc.). Oxford Car Audio was only able to get one in for me next week, but I was able to find one elsewhere and also got it installed (good thing as this model can be a little tricky apparently, as it 'installs at an angle').

I must say that so far, it has already surpassed my expectations and I am extremely satisfied with it. I haven't had a proper play with it yet, but so far it's played everything my old unit did, as well as play all the video files my old unit wouldn't play. It's much quicker to respond as well.

I had a quick try with Android Auto and it really is as simple to get working as the videos show. A bit limited at the moment, as developers need to update their apps to work with Android Auto (i.e. get it to work with the Android Auto interface), but it's definitely a good start. Only issue is that when using Android Auto, you can't play radio / CD / SDCard, and are restricted to the music on the phone or music streamed from the internet on the phone.

I'll have a bit of a play with the unit and then make a longer, more detailed write-up on the head unit.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

:Need Pics::video:

:Tongue: :Grin:

RogerH69 and Chunkylover53 like this.
  16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I agree.

I'm busy this evening rebuilding my PC at home (I suspect some malware has crept onto my PC - nothing that I can see in running tasks / registry etc. but I read a review of an app I installed suggesting it had malware in it,, so am doing a full rebuild, and using it as an excuse to upgrade some hardware too), so maybe tomorrow afternoon I can have a good run through of the head unit with some pictures and a video showing it in action.

@nick-b gave me the idea of installing a tilt down LED monitor onto the inside of my tailgate so that when I open the tailgate, I can press a button and the LED monitor tilts down and shows whatever's playing on the headunit :Smile: Sounds tempting, but expensive, so this will have to remain one of those "would be nice to have's"

17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

So like a real nana, I went and ordered the wrong M.2 drive for my new motherboard (it's PCIe and I ordered SATA). GRRRR So gotta wait till tomorrow for new drive to arrive.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share a picture of the startup screen of my new head unit
    IMG_20150507_162841.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That looks real posh !