Aftermarket Kit Plasti-Dip For Front Grille?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by TheDarkKnight, Sunday 9th Dec, 2012.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    mate this would be ace for all LKAS owners who can't get the sporty grill. should we do a group buy if we approach the seller and see if we can strike a deal?

I would take off the grill from the car, that clip is just bad move, its good he masked it off but you will get better coverage and finish when you take it off.

3. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This looks immense. 7th Generation handles and grill and badges all matt black ??

4. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

P.S im in if theres a group buy.

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rarely speechless but the entire car in Plasti-dip finish?:Aghast:

1458-1.

1458-2.

1458-3.

Only a diesel owner can think of that

:lol::lol::lol:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Each to his own but to me that car looks like someone hasn't finished a paint job and just left it primered Lol

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry but car looks rank.

And those poverty-spec aftermarket wheels aint makin' it either.

Epic fail on many levels. Embarassment. :Blink:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Those are Honda 19 rages buddy which are diamond cut wheels now matt'd out :telloff:aint poverty spec they are expensive. The car does look different thou :Blink::Smile:

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As soon as someone defacates on alloy wheels with a chav paint job, OEM or not, it makes them look poverty spec. :Rolf:

Anyway, lets stick to the Plasti-Dip product :Thumbup:

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Considering how easily this stuff peels off exactly how often are you going to end up reapplying it. I can imagine this stuff peeling off every time you go near it with a sponge.

For me this stuff looks a little tacky, and if you do a bad job of spraying it it'll look like a cheap bit of plastic you've bought from Halfords. If you're going to go to the effort of spraying your grill why not just get a can of Honda paint so you get a colour match and make it look OEM.

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Considering that the Plastidip is easier to "clean up" if someone mucks up the paint job, thats not the case with a can of paint, which in turn could end up being a more expensive fix. Apparently, according to various reviews and YouTube vids I have seen, the Plastidip seems very robust and durable.

Each to their own, however.

13. black-hawk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Yeah it would be far easier to 'clean up' the plastidip if it got messed up. But if you get a can of plastidip you're not going to give it to someone to spray for you, it's a DIY job. Where as painting you're more likely to give it to someone if you can't do it yourself to make sure it looks right. If you was going to paint it you would strip the grill off and prep it to get the best result. But even paint is easy to remove and correct if you get it wrong first time. Either method I think if you lack experience with an aerosol it could look very bad very easily, but I suppose with the plastidip so easy to remove you could spend all day spraying and reapplying.

Personally for me I'd rather go to the extra effort of the prep and paint it. That way I'd only do the job once and it would look OEM. The plastidip looks a bit like fake vinyl wrap, which would be just as easy to do and be harder wearing.

The only real decision is what finish you 're after.

Maybe you should be the guinea pig and test it. I've seen it mentioned in posts a few times people referring to the youtube clips and raving about it but no one has ever followed through on it.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think thats the whole point - its a quick solution without a high cost attached to it. It does look fake, but then the clue is in the name, Plasti-Dip, as in plastic. IMHO, it is less risky than wrapping too. Lord, I have seen some truly atrocious wrapping - and to think people paid 4-figure sums as well. The mind boggles! Least if someone tries this, you can always remove and know that any damage will be minimal.

Yes I am happy to be the guinea pig. I've yet to order, however, I wouldn't bother to attempt doing it with this cold weather and the generous dousing on the roads of all types of salt/grit etc.

Definitely something to try out on a Saturday afternoon when the sun is out and warm.

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just found this.

- - - Updated - - -

Protect you headlights. I'm not sure how well this would work. Id love to do my bumper and bonnet if it stayed glossy.

17. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    seen a 530d BMW shed done fully like this up close and GIDDY GOD NO !
    It looked hideous .

That has ruined a perfectly good Honda and take the point on the wheels .. why??"!

Sorry prob just me showing my age here but damn !!!

18. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yuk, that red matte Accord looks awlful.

After a few months, a few stone chips, bird bombs and fly marks, that matt red will look a mess.

No resale value on that car now also, very limited resale market for it.

I've looked at various grille options for the Accord, the Acura TSX grille, various Ebay specials, carbon fibre etc. Also considered wrapping mine in carbon fibre wrap. I've come to the conclusion the Honda Modulo Sports grille is the best, its not cheap at £350 painted, but you could always take it back off the car when you change car, to sell it to get some money back.

19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As long as you have a non-ADAS Accord, there will always be good solutions for the grille. Irks me that Honda has not addressed this for those that pay extra for ADAS to then leave them lumbered with the stock grille.

Ah well, can't have all things I suppose...much rather forego a better grille for the ADAS functionality :Thumbup:

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Only in Bradford can someone think of such a hideous concept.

Brembo plastic caps on calipers :telloff: BRADFORD MASSIVE ..init

Doc and SpeedyGee like this.