Guides PlastiDip Spray Chrome Emblems

Any Car Any Model

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    RogerH69 submitted a new guide:

PlastiDip Spray Chrome Emblems - Any Car Any Model

Check the full guide here.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

An interesting effect. The emblems will contrast well on your Civic. I like how you've peeled back the 'S' :Niceone:

Spraying is a tricky skill. I've been spraying things on and off for quite a while, but still consider myself a novice. You do get better though. It's just time and practice.
    Thank you for posting this up Roger:Smile:

RogerH69 likes this.
  3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @Nels I like the way they turned out on my first attempt with PlastiDip. I'll look into putting them back on my car this weekend (I was going for a badgeless bum on her due to my dislike for chrome) to see how they look. If they start peeling due to not enough coats of PlastiDip, I'm just peel and spray again :Smile: I may get some different colours as well for messing about with.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You may find it easier to coat the edges if the emblems are raised.
    I had a similar issue with the corner bumper protectors. This is just before they were painted. (The after shot was just all black!)

IMG_8373  D.

RogerH69 likes this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Great tip. Thanks

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Nice mate, look forward to seeing how it looks on your car

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I went to put them on my car today, and luckily, before I removed the backing plastic and exposed the adhesive backing, I saw that the chrome was shining through one of the corners on the Civic logo. I'm going to peel the PlastiDip off and try again tomorrow, this time using 4, maybe even 5 coats, and also ensure I get the side of the emblem properly as well..

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good work Roger, look forward to seeing the end result.

Top tip there @Nels :Thumbup:

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Cheers @SpeedyGee

I peel the PlastiDip off the 2 emblems and did a full respray of them today, using 4 coats on 1 and 5 on the other (which I think I messed up, but will see when it dries properly). I also sprayed a spare Honda H logo that I bought to go on the tailgate (practice makes perfect). I wanted to spray the one already on the tailgate, but it's way too windy outside today to spray something on the car (damn I need a garage). Maybe I'll have more luck with the weather tomorrow

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm impressed with how the H logo came out. Much easier to spray with it's basic' shape and no sharp corners and no multi levelled surfaces.

I think I may just put it on the car, and not spray the logo that's currently on there (which would need proper cleaning with thinners before spraying anyway) :Grin:

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I put the Type-S and Honda emblems on the car (the Civic emblem was very fragile, and broke :Sobbing:, so I'll need to get a new one), and I think that once the chrome tailgate trim has been sprayed, they will look pretty good.

You will notice that the Type-S logo is not matte black., That's because when peeling the backing plastic from the adhesive tape, I peeled a little bit of the PlastiDip off with it, and didn't notice until the emblem was stuck to the car
    IMG_20150412_115003.

I had a closer look at the Honda logo and noticed a small bit of the PlastiDip had peeled off the bottom (as you can see in the image below). Also, on the top right of the emblem, a small amount of the chrome emblem was showing through.
    IMG_20150412_115012.

For this reason (and because the tailgate trim has not been sprayed yet) I have peeled the PlastiDip off the Honda logo as well, as the black logo look out of place with all the chrome that is still there.

From my experience with spraying these emblems, I've decided that getting PlastiDip done perfectly is not as easy as it may seem at first, so more practice is needed. I also think that I'll have more success if I spray the emblems when they are already on the car.

12. Nighthawk Guest

Honestly Rog, I personally don't like the emblem like that now that it is on the car, but glad you are happy with it and good job with it.

RogerH69 likes this.
  13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I agree with you @Nighthawk :Smile:

Once the tailgate trim has been sprayed, I might have another go at PlastiDipping the emblems.

This was a learning experience for me, and another great thing about PlastiDip is that you just peel it off if you don't like it :Smile:

14. Nighthawk Guest

Weather is starting to look up now, we need to make a plan to get your trim sorted

RogerH69 likes this.
  15. harry22673 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is this a good method on painting the outline of the grill
    I was going to have red edging so is this practical

16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

You will need to tape to tape up the interior of the grill, or else take the outer part off (if you can) and plastidip it