Body, Paint & Styling Please can Someone Tell me my Eyes are Deceiving Me?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by John Dickson, Sunday 5th Jan, 2014.

1. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I admit I've been lazy on the car washing front over Christmas and New Year.

As three weeks have passed without cleaning the car I thought I'd do it today.

Now, bearing in mind this is a 3.5 month old, 4,500 mile straight out the box 2013 Accord, you can imagine my horror and surprise when I found this lurking under the off-side rain gutter trim, where it meets the drain gully at top/side of rear window........ :Aghast:

This was not there the last time I washed the car.

DSC01312.

Now this is a modern Accord not a 1974 Lancia Beta so should not rust within three weeks....... But it has!

I'm going to Newcastle Honda tomorrow again and I will try my best not to go in full of hell.

I have never had a problem with an Accord in 8 years of owning them this is the first major issue with this one but it will be the 4th or 5th time it has had to go back to the dealer needlessly.

My apologies if this has a bit of a ranting tone to it but I'm quite miffed about this. £29,000 cars do not rust in three months.

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is that rust or am i mad?
    Will be checking mine as soon as it stop raining.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That rust alright but that looks like a screwdriver has been wedged to lift the corner . Warranty will fix that but need to see how far that rust has gone in.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Going to check mine now John.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The tourer is different design to the saloon so not like for like ,but no rust on mine buddy.

all saloon owners need to check this.:Blink::Blink:

6. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad yours is OK CJ.

Hope yours hasn't got the same problem zoran mine's gone from nothing to like that in three weeks so would hate to see what damage could've been done if it had gone longer unnoticed.

Gonna ask they go over the car with a fine toothed comb as after finding this I've been ultra observant and the whole car has small brown speckles all over it.

If the rust has spread, I'll be coming away with another Accord off their forecourt tomorrow as they can have this one back.

What would they need to wedge a screwdriver in to lift it for? A bodged attempt to change the rear screen? I can't imagine it occurred in the factory. Some idiot in between the docks in Japan and the Dealer is my chief suspect. God only knows what happens to them after they've left Japan.

It's all falling into place now. The knackered battery, the loose reversing camera, the sticky cup holder, the reason I got such a good deal without any need for me to banter, the reason they fell over backwards to change the wheel upgrade back to standard Star alloys.... This is either someone else's reject or it's been sitting in a field for a long time and they've obviously thought "Here's a mug we can palm this duffer on to".

They'll find out who the mug is tomorrow....

Sorry I'm ranting but I'm livid.

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

don't blame you John for a second.
    Checked mine earlier when i was going out and no rust at all.On last service i specifically asked for car to be checked over and recorded for rust after my sunroof episode.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate I would be livid its a brand new car which has developed fault so soon...that won't sit well with me too. I would do the car snagging yourself as dealers will not be frank when they have an irate customer on their hands .. It's human nature to cover up until the storm dies . If you need assistance drop me a PM sure can help you.

9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad to hear yours is ok Zoran. I'm going to insist they check mine.

Thanks CJ, I'm going in tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens and what they say.

I've cooled down now was livid when I discovered it before but that's passed so I'm going to go in tomorrow nice and relaxed and polite and quiet. Yes I'm going to ask some probing questions and will expect answers but I'm going to keep it quiet and reasonable.

Unless of course polite and quiet and reasonable gets me nowhere...then they'll get both barrels so to speak.

Thanks for the offer of assistance mate.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Have checked mine, and thankfully all clear. Totally understand your frustration John, I'd be furious too. If the car had been kicking around for a while then you would expect dealership staff to treat it knowing that it would be sold as "new." Not good PR for them or Honda if they don't see such a loyal customer right.

I agree with CJ that it looks as though damaged by a third party rather than a manufacturing fault.

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello

A quick update for you and also to say I was furious yesterday and perhaps I said some things in haste that were unfair. The car did come from Honda UK group stock not Vertu's so they can't have known anything about it other than the details on Honda Logistics system.

I went to the dealer at 8 this morning to see what their thoughts were.

To be fair they were shocked at the rust. They have never seen this before on a Honda so that proves it's not a manufacturing defect and like everyone else I'm convinced it's third party damage at some stage between Honda Japan and Newcastle Honda.

They were really helpful and listened carefully to what I had to say. They said that this needs to be put right.

The Sales Manger took me into the office and made notes on all I had to say and also brought the Service Manager in to the conversation. Photographs have been taken and sent to Honda Warranty section to see if they will honour it as a warranty claim (a paperwork exercise really but the procedure must be followed correctly it's there for a reason) but the impression I got was there is no doubt they will honour it obviously the dealer staff cannot say categorically until the correct procedure has been followed and allowed to run its course.

They said it may take a few days to get a response back to me which is fine but they will keep me updated and get back to me as soon as they know something further.

Can't say fairer than that and lets see what Honda come back with.

AccordCU2 and FirstHonda like this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Fingers crossed for you. Sounds like they will do the right thing.

John Dickson likes this.
  13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers Ed. I'll keep you updated.

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good to hear that John.
    I am sure they will sort it for you.

John Dickson likes this.
  15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers zoran.

Yes they were genuinely concerned about the rust and I'm sure they will do all they can to fight my case.

16. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That really is a shocking thing on such a new car. Glad progress is being made though. Good luck in getting it sorted :Smile:

John Dickson likes this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda will approve the warranty repair , but John you would like to ask of the repair method.In an ideal world the whole rear windscreen will need to be removed and the affected area is cleaned and ready for treatment and paint.

The whole car needs to be masked for over spray prevention :Wink:

You should to go over all the repairs with a fine comb cheking the interior roof lining is tucked away no nasty hand prints the windscreen is aligned with no leaks , you see the seam sealer on the top joint.. etc etc