Suspension, Steering and Brakes Please help a newbie

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by chinlou69, Monday 11th Mar, 2013.

1. chinlou69 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

First of all hello to you all. i just bought a 00 1.8 VTEC to use for work cause i "thought" honda's were bulletproof. there was a lot of noise coming from the rear. i gave the brakes a service as they were sticky but its no better. it gets much worse when pulling my small trailer and i just noticed both rear tyres are wearing on the inside. any ideas what has failed me

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Chinlou69, welcome to AOC.

From your description it sounds like you have a worn wheel bearing. Is it like a rumbling sound that increases as you increase speed ?

As for the tyres wearing out on the inner edge, you need to get some laser tracking done and see if the camber on the rear can be adjusted to within the manufacturers specification.

AccordInIpswich likes this.
  3. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I say wheel bearing aswell, As above is it like a drone noise that increases with speed?

4. chinlou69 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it sounds like really bad tyre roar. i checked for looseness last week and they seemed fine. i'll check again cause its worse now. any tips on cheap parts. best i found was 50 quid

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Actually if it bad tyre roar, getting new tyres put on will help eliminate the roar, however, you should still have the suspension checked out. Take it to a Hunter tracking place. The money you spend on getting the tracking corrected you will save in the long run as you won't be constant chewing through tyres.

Most places offer a free tracking check, you don`t have to pay if they don`t adjust anything.

6. chinlou69 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

its not tires as its gone from fine to really noisy my susipension is workin as it should but i see on ebay there are links and wishbones for the rear could they cause this problem

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think you need assistance with the car on the ground you cannot attempt to fix a car by talking about it as it doing nothing to take the symptoms away and which keep on changing.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There is plenty that could be wrong and still the suspension would work OK.

No point looking for cheap parts, when you don`t know exactly which part needs replacing.

9. chinlou69 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i know that i was just implying the suspension isnt the problem. and i won't be using a garage as they are all con artists. i can carry out any repair needed i was only asking on here as someone may have had the same problem and since i live on an island getting the wrong part is a hassle. i guess i'll just replace the lot

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ahh ok, missed that fact that you were on an Island and you didn't mention hating garages before LOL

No need to replace the whole lot unnecessarily, jack up the car, check all the suspension components for signs of wear and play.
    Rotate the wheels see if you hear any bearing noise.

Search youtube for some videos that can help you diagnose suspension noises

Here`s an example :-

Good luck and do report back with your findings or if need any more advise.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  11. chinlou69 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i worked in a garage for a few years and have been conned before. i'm pretty sure its a wheel bearing due to the noise and how badly the tyres have worn plus its gettin worse fast so i'll do both them and the calliper and see where we stand then. p.s can u believe i have been offered 4 sets of "used" wheel bearings. who the hell would be so stupid.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hallo mate we would love to help you but let start to bridge the distance gap since you don't trust garage let see if we can get in the middle by pictures.

Can you take pictures of the suspension from all direction , pictures of the tyre threads.

Lift the suspect wheel and feel the tyres with the palms of your hand to see if you have uneven wear. if you have first replace the worn tyres get a wheel alignment to see if the sound disappears before striping for new parts.

Look for worn bushes worn drop links and things out of place.

13. chinlou69 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

tell me if im bein thick but i was sat thinkin about it and if my brakes were sticking on slightly would that cause inside tyre wear cause when i ease off the throttle in gear it feels like im braking a little but out of gear it rolls quite freely. i just wondered as it all started when the handbrake went wrong. i can't investigate till im off at the weekend as i live in a dark cold rock and i don't want to freeze to death after a days work

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How can the brakes possibly cause tyres to wear on the inside edge ? Care to explain the technicalities of that ?

15. chinlou69 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cause the back end always sinks when i pull off so its always under load. and worse with the trailer so the top of the wheel is always pointin inwards when movin so more weights on the inside. seems more likely than both wheelbearings going in the same 10 minutes. plus if u don't ask you will never k now

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You've not mentioned a trailer before ! How often do you tow a trailer ? If your always towing a loaded trailer regularly, there's bound be some unusual wear on tyres and extra strain on the suspension which may in turn wear out components leading to further alignment issues.

If you are pulling a loaded trailer are you setting your tyre pressures to the correct pressures according to the Hondas suggested values ?

17. chinlou69 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i mentioned the trailer in the first post. i use it fairly regular it makes the noise worse but its very noticable without the trailer. i tried uploading a pic of the tyres but no luck it is only the inside 2 inches that are wearing badly on both sides of the car.

18. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, have you looked at your rear top suspension ball joints? grab one by the hands and see if tou can move the joint, if it moves it needs replacing, A little tip, if the later is the case you can buy ball joint inserts, but if you can get a replace ment part cheap enough go for that, they are easy to replace.

19. chinlou69 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks brian i wid never have thought of inserts. where would be the best place to find them. i looked them up on ebay but they look total different. i'll be going to town on it this weekend. and its got much worse today i'm thinking im going to need a caliper a wheel bearing and either both arms or both links. i noticed this morning that the wear on the inside is patchy and feathery. where would be the best place to order all these parts minus the caliper. and also a huge thanks to all who gave advice and put up with my stupidity. its much appreciated

20. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi chinlou69, Glad to be of help, thats what we are all here for, to help oneanother where ever possible with the knowledge that we pick up over the years, as for where you can by the parts, well for me to say is not easy, you see I live in Cyprus, but I get most of my bits from ebay get them sent to my friend in UK and he send them to me, so try ebay for ease of shopping, probably the largest store in the world, ha ha ha, be of good cheer.