Electrical & Lights Please help with battery drain problem

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by stueymalton, Saturday 21st Jun, 2014.

1. stueymalton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, really need some help with this please as driving me mad.

My accord is draining the battery when the car is not in use. Have replaced the battery and have tested the new battery under load with a multimeter so I know that isn't the problem.
    Alternator charges the battery fine and the car is fine when running or when it has been run within 24 hours or so.

Did some testing today with a multimeter, disconnected the starter motor and the alternator from the battery and the drain was still present.

I've narrowed it down to the cable shown in the picture, which goes from the battery to the fuse box in the engine bay. When I disconnect this cable from the fuse box bingo, no drain.

Any ideas ? I'm going to start pulling fuses tomorrow to see if I can narrow it down any further.

Thanks

IMG_20140621_115025.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 23rd Jun, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It will be the HFT module , just search for the similar threads matey

stueymalton likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Carefully pry off the upper vent panel above the head unit with some trim removal tools, you'll see the HFT module underneath with the loom connector coming out of the left hand side. Literally just disconnect it and reassemble. You'll lose your bluetooth/phone connectivity, but nothing else on the car will be affected. It's a common issue, and a replacement module isn't cheap - however a lot of us are living with it at the moment. Myself and @Ichiban above included.

stueymalton likes this.
  4. stueymalton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Guys I've unattached the HFT module using a kitchen knife to pry the dash open.

For what it's worth the hands free /Bluetooth has never worked since I've had the car.

Took the accord out for a good drive to.charge the battery. Tested with a multi and battery reading at 12.46 volts so going to leave it a few hours and then test again. Fingers crossed .

If this has worked I am going to owe u both a pint !! Can't tell u how much this has bugged me was almost going to sell the accord :0(

Ichiban likes this.
  5. stueymalton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Guys, voltage readings below. What do you think is it fixed ?
    15:30pm voltage was 12.46

18:30pm voltage was 12:41

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Mate, I'll give you a dose of irony - I was picking through the paperwork for my current Accord when I brought her and notice several battery related items just before the previous owner sold her - the battery itself, alternator belt etc. I was on the phone to CJ and popped up the vent I mentioned, viola, it was disconnected. Evidentially the owner couldn't fix it and sold the car to the garage, the garage found the problem then sold it on to me. I got a pretty immaculate car for a good price because someone couldn't solve the issue you've been struggling with.

I don't want to jinx anything, but judging by your readings, I'd say you're all sorted and fixed. It's unfortunately quite a common issue on the Facelift 7th by all accounts.

Ichiban and stueymalton like this.
  7. stueymalton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mate if I have fixed it I am gonna be over the moon !!

What do you guys think about getting a new battery ? This one is only 10months old but due to this issue has been getting drained loads in that time.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is nominal battey drain bud If you saw multiple of even one digit drain that is parasitic drain and that is point of concern. You will be fine now the HFT module has been disconnected . FOI even on working order HFT cars it draws current 15 minutes even after the door are locked. So this is for all FL owners if you unlock and unlock your car quickly the counter for the 15 minute draw is reset from start . Do that 4 or five times within the 15 minutes time frame you will lose 1.5 volts ..!!!!

stueymalton likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wait for a week before you take reading , don't replace the battery yet.

stueymalton likes this.
  10. stueymalton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys I'm chuffed to bits.
    Will keep you updated on it :0)

DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  11. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Hello m8 had exactly the same problem & posted on here, the guys advised me to do exactly the same as they have with you & it sorted the problem, happy days :Smile: !!!!!

DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @stueymalton any feedback fella, hope the car battery is fine?

stueymalton likes this.
  13. stueymalton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Funny you should ask mate was just coming on to give you news.

So I bought myself a cheap multimeter as my mates couldn't measure amps for some reason. It arrived today, disconnected negative on battery and plugged my multi in to terminal and earth wire...set it to 10a...it was reading between 0.01 and 0.02 drain. From what I've read that is well below acceptable drain readings.

I literally cannot thank you all enough. You've saved me so much Money and stopped me having to get rid of a car we all love !!!

I owe you guys !! Stu

Nels and Ichiban like this.
  14. stueymalton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neily, glad you got a fix as well mate as I can appreciate just how frustrating battery drains are :0).

What an awesoeme resource this forum is !!

SpeedyGee and Nels like this.
  15. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    That's just how I felt when the guys helped me with mine :Smile:

SpeedyGee and stueymalton like this.
  16. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Right, gonna do the same. Last week battery died. Had a spare one so fitted it. It runs so far, but every morning when turning on, the fuel gauge drops more and more. It never happened before, or I didn't notice, so pretty sure something is still wrong. HFT's been dead for months now.

I'm not that clued up on how to check the drain. Would reading voltage from the battery be enough indication?

Before the new battery I had:
    14.5 at 2000 RPM
    14.35 idling
    13.02 turned off

Is that all I need or are there any other measurements I can take?

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What you are measuring is voltage your multimeter is parallel to the battery. To measure current draw you need to be in series with the battery.

1) Disconnect the negative terminal on your cars battery
    2) On your multimeter move the red wire over the mA terminal and change the setting to read mA
    3) Place the multimeter in between the battery negative terminal and the negative wire.
    4) You should now get a reading on the multimeter, this is how much current draw there currently is on the battery.
    5) At this point if you want to diagnose further you can pull fuses to circuits that you think are causing current drain or switch off appliances/devices or disconnect known cables.

Nels likes this.
  18. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Juts a thought (I ahve a pre face lift so no HFT) Its a nice feature if it works the HFT. How difficult would it be to install a relay or manual switch to disconnect power to the HFT when the ignition is off?

seems a shame to disconnect it but obvioulsy you cannot live with the battery drain issue.

its one thing I wish I had on my pre face lift but if its such an issue I would try to find a work around so I could still use the HFT module.

Do you think its possible or is the wiring loom and power supply less straight forward than that?

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've not seen the wiring diagram for the HFT but I would imagine it is perfectly possible to do as you suggest. As they say "Where there is will, there is a way !"

Although I'd imagine it's wired up permanently to aid storing of contacts on the HFT perhaps ?

20. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    bijomaru is your HFT still connected ? If it's not working probably best to disconnect it as this should solve the battery drain problem :Smile:

It did with mine.

Nels likes this.