Off-Topic Plumbing guestion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AccordCU2, Tuesday 7th Apr, 2015.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Long shot but thought i will ask anyway.

Any plumbers in the house?

Got some weird knocking/banging noise (not sure how to describe it best) from heating pipes i think.

It usually comes after boiler has stopped for about 10 minutes or so.

I have bled all the radiators but noise is still there.
    Before i rip off the floorboard and hopefully will not have to rip off the tiles in bathroom (knowing my luck i will have to) does anyone have any idea what to look for?
    Word of warning i am useless when it comes to these things and i have done all that i feel comfortable to do(bleeding the radiators)
    I am ok to fix lose pipes if i discover any when i rip the floorboards up but that is where my capabilities end i am afraid.

Anybody have an idea or should i just admit defeat any pay the man to sort it for me?

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Air lock or two pipes (hot n cold) touching? I had two pipes touching and it drove me mad, in the end I lifted the floor and wedged something between them.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks @Duc de Pommfrit. I have thought about pipes being lose or touching and will rip off the floorboard to look for them if i can pinpoint where exactly is the noise coming from.I am partially deaf and it takes me a while to pinpoint noises.

How would one go about sorting the air lock?

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Its hard to advise you without knowing what type of heating system you have. If you have a hot water tank fed from a storage (fill and expansion) tank in the loft, then I suggest that there is an air lock in the primary heating loop between the boiler and the hot water tank. This 'air lock' (actually more likely to be corrosion gasses) will either clear itself by discharging into the F&E tank or you will need to find the bleed valve (if one was fitted!)... this is hopefully adjacent to the hot water tank.

It might help if you could narrow down the problem to when the boiler is heating the radiators, or heating the hot water.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks @Zebster . I have Vaillant combi boiler and i would say when is heating hot water.
    No idea on bleeding valve to be honest,never liked messing around boilers,gas etc.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    So you don't have a hot water tank? The hot water is 'instant'?

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Correct.

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Ok, in that case there is nothing to bleed... the water comes straight in from the mains, gets heated and goes straight to the hot tap... air will simply flow through.

I don't know your boiler... is there a pressure gauge on the boiler with a fixed pointer and a moving pointer? Is the moving pointer (normally black) above the fixed pointer (normally red)?

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You see bleeding valve here anywhere?Sorry if i sound stupid but i really don't know great deal about this.
    20150407_215821.

Picture of the boiler if it helps
    20150407_215801.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Pressure is fine and it does not drop or rise.
    - - - Updated - - -
    It does sound like lose pipes or like Duc suggested pipes touching each other.
    Will have to lift floorboard and look for it i think.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    OK, but it is odd that the pipes might have moved and are now touching. Good luck!

11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I am not saying that is the problem but most plausible i think anyway.
    I am open to suggestion and very much appreciate an advice from people who know more about it then me.