Detailing Polisher swirl marks

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Galgo, Tuesday 24th Mar, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think the person that owned my car before me (or the idiot dealer I bought it from) went nuts with a polisher at some point.

Not only did I have to spend hours removing dried polish residue on the INSIDE of most windows, there's still loads on the rubber door trims and in the door shuts.

The worst part is the exterior bodywork. The N/S doors have some swirl marks caused by a polisher at some point. They are clearly visible when the car is washed and dried :Frown:

Obviously I'd like to fix this problem. Trouble is; what's the best tool for the job? Should a DA polisher sort it out?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

wanner69 likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Galgo - depending on your budget and your experience there are a couple of options. A DA could sort it out, but you need to choose products carefully and use with care to avoid doing any (further) damage. If your budget allows, you may be better getting a professional to sort it out, then you can maintain going forward.

Otherwise, if you were working by hand you could use something like a pre-cleanser (Swissvax version enclosed, but there are loads around). This which will help reduce swirls and increase depth to the shine. You could also use a combined polish/wax (Autoglym Super Resin for example) as a finish which has some fillers to also reduce impact of swirls (although I've personally never been THAT impressed with it).

Swissvax UK

In terms of old wax on rubbers, if it has dried on over a number of years it may be a bit of a nightmare. I've never had that, so wouldn't like to comment on how to remove, but sure somebody on here has a trick or two to share! Also try looking on Detailing World, it's a mine of useful information!

SRP residue on black trim - Detailing World

Galgo and Nels like this.
  4. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Nels - I've not used a DA polisher before but I assume it's a case of not sticking to one area for too long to avoid damage?

@FirstHonda - I think I've got a bottle of Autoglym Paint Renovator and Super Resin Polish hanging around so could use one/both of them to start I guess. Was going to have a look at the panels in question today to double-check how bad they are, but I forgot that my car is caked in dirt and needs a wash :Laughing: Will have to take a look after I've given it a wash so I can determine just how bad the damage is.

From memory though, it looked like how a body panel is after you apply wax but don't buff it off if you see what I mean?

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Be careful with the paint renovator @Galgo - it can be quite severe if you aren't careful. I'd say if the panels aren't too bad, just try a small section at the bottom of the door (say) and see how it turns out before you commit too much!

You may find this useful if you haven't already seen it. It isn't very detailed (there are better ones) but it gives an idea of what to expect.

This one may be interesting too.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 28th Mar, 2015
    Galgo likes this.
  6. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Ed, I'll give it a go and see how I get on!

7. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    A Dual action machine polisher, polishing pad and meguiars 205 will yield you good results, but watch some videos first. Technique is quite important

8. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I used some Mer wax (applied by hand) on the swirl marks after I washed the car today and I'm pleased to report they have gone now.

Need to get some polish as I'm low on the stuff I already had, so will tackle that the next time I wash the car.

9. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    The swirls will just have been masked by the wax, they will reappear

10. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well when I get some polish I can sort them out. :Smile:

wanner69 likes this.