HVAC Pollen / Cabin Filter

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Monday 1st Feb, 2016.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    When it comes to oil filters I always use Honda genuine ones, but usually just get a 3rd party pollen filter and often air filter also.

But just wondering, is the genuine Honda pollen filter worth the extra tenner over a Crossland one? Honda make claims about 3 layers etc and maybe I'm being pedantic here but it also says low airflow resistence which some may not consider all that important but for me I'm thinking about longetivity of the heating/ventilation system.

2. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Don't think it would make much difference as broadly speaking its only function is to stop pollen and other debris being blown into the cabin. If worried you could always change it more often than Honda recommends .

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When I used to work for Honda in the 90s the internal product training I recall the Honda genuine PF was far superior. On that day they had a lot of pollen filter on the table and they had test done on each to show how they worked and even simulated a live test to let the delegates to see how the competition stacked up when compared to the Honda one.

As Graham already pointed out the Honda filter is a 3 layer in comparison to all the other filter out there they are capable of trapping 2 microns and smaller particles, pollen or contaminants. The paper they use is some special proprietary filter paper with air holes which is a closely guarded secret, It does trap fine dirt and dust very very effectively you won't see a lot of dust particles ever coming out the A/C vents if you regularly change the filter with a genuine one. I have seen MANN filter letting in dust when they are brand new!!

I recall the training also mention it high efficiency is due to the minimal airflow resistance due to the pleating of the papers and it acoustically tuned to channel air without causing turbulence etc etc. The Japanese trainer was so confident even on a clogged Honda genuine filter they never found the A/C evaporator air gaps clogged it just limited air flow to make the owner realise there was an issue..

Always by the genuine filter no matter the Honda specification on any filter since the 90's is the best in my eyes.

4. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    On the accord 7th Generation and 8th Generation the honda OEM filter is made by fredeunberg. It is. Ery good quality and most likely better than most pollen filters in the market.

Anyway does anyone know is there a activated carbon version of this filter that can work on the accord?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also the honda OEM air filers are so much better quality than ones you get from eurocarparts or the aftermarket shops. my car was serviced properly by the main dealer but the air filter was missed out for some reason. I replaced the airfilter out after 65000 miles it was dirty but still did its job well. The Japanese build quality shone through again. If that was eurocarparts crossland filter it might be stuck in your exhaust!

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think the k&n paper filter is carbon activated

6. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Nothing wrong with cross land gear, its a very expensive piece of paper after all ! How many car owners have we ever known who can blame catastrophic failure on a cheap filter
    I've run cars in the seventies for thousands of miles without a filter at all with no problems.
    I guess its similar to bog roll, you pay pennies for some, pounds for others, basically they all do the same job, or should that be jobby lol.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Remind me never ever even consider buying any of your cars again :depressed::pickingnose:

vincemince and Denso23 like this.
  8. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Not that you'd ever by my old shed ! I'm sure you've seen the add for these super Dooper sports filter with the ping pong ball ? £45 for an air filter ! Mine was £4 odd with Ecs. I'm sure you can buy better but it does the job ( keeping large bits n bobs out of engine ) I often go mad and change it every year with oil service. ( again cheepo oil filter and £20 for 5 L of 10/40 )
    Don't forget a proper service would cost more than my cars worth lol.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I picked up a genuine one today, for the sake of £10 extra and taking into account the [lack of] mileage the CR-V will be doing now the pollen filter will probably outlive me.

Ichiban likes this.
  10. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Don't get me wrong sir, if money was no object I'm sure I'd do the same ! When I bought bump I knew it had been run into the ground. The blower fan made a terrible noise but no air came from the vents ! Unfortunately on 1st gens you have to dismantle half the dash to change filter ( which I did ) by the state of it , it looked like the original, full of leaves twigs the odd mouse etc. I think that was about the same as air filter money wise, now I have powerful fan, ICE cold aircon etc.Good for another 142k lol.

11. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It's best to change your pollen filters at least once per year. They pick up microbes etc that are generally not good for ventilation systems whether car is not used a lot.

12. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Thanks, now I know how its done and there so cheap I'll change it when I have aircon service which includes anti bac etc. Thanks again.