Engine & Gearbox Poor acceleration after EGR clean

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by cozezo, Tuesday 15th Jan, 2013.

1. cozezo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Had a mechanic friend come over and clean the EGR valve on my 04 2.2 I-CDTI accord. After putting it all back together it now won't rev cleanly. It will only move if I rev it over 2000rpm. If the EGR valve is disconnected it revs to 2000rpm cleanly (limp mode). Any ideas whats gone wrong?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Any fault codes stored when trying to run with the EGR connected ?

3. cozezo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    none and no warning light on either

Last edited: Tuesday 15th Jan, 2013
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Did the mechanic only clean the EGR ?

What about the inlet manifold, EGR pipe, MAP housing etc were all these cleared ?

5. cozezo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Pipe and housing were cleaned also

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hard to get to conclusions with above info:
    1) if the car runs fine with EGR disconnected: you would assume it stays wide open when connected and never shuts again (is the connector OK?)
    2) you say the car goes into limp mode? How do you know? Is in such case a DTC stored and MIL is on? You clear it afterwards?
    3) If you say 'it won't rev cleanly: does it rev clean till 2000 whith 0 load? How about half load and full load?
    4) EGR solenoid should receive on/off signals to come to a certain % of EGR. Isn't it possible the valve does not move free anymore after cleaning? It might move 'slow' and cause a more open situation than intented by the engine ECU.
    If anybody knows more about EGR: you're welcome to correct me.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Was the MAF cleaned by any chance and with what , being Bosch it as fragile as egg shells.

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    You would expect a DTC + MIL, no, in such case? And strange: different with/without EGR connected.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yes you would..but with OP's input to say if the ECU has been scanned then its hear say.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Is it possible to refit the EGR incorrectly ? Like 180 degrees to it actual postion and thereby cause its to operate incorrectly ?

11. cozezo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Sorry guys been a bit of a mad evening with household stuff...
    I'll get some answers to the questions posed from the mechanic and come back and let you know.
    Thanks for the input thus far.

12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    bit of a strange one this, could be a number of things causing the problem. did you have hesitation problems beforehand? disturbing the EGR valve itself may have made it stick in any position. i presume with you saying he took other pipes off he may have taken off the intake manifold runner controll valve? this allso cokes up and will cause the car to go into limp mode if faulty. remove the engine cover and ensure all vac pipes are connected and electrical connectors.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just to add to beefy comments also have a look at this thread

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 21st Mar, 2014
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Any luck getting this sorted Cozezo ?

15. cozezo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Right, after being messed about by my so called friend. I took charge of the situation. I surmised that the EGR valve was stuck open after his attempt to clean it. I assume he tried to remove the solenoid as there were witness marks on the spline bolts and not seated the valve correctly. I managed to get a S/H replacement unit in case my one was damaged. I fitted the S/H today after a good clean and after clearing the EGR fault code, everything is back to normal. The car does feel smoother but the initial problem of intermittent rough idling is still there. I had already fitted a genuine diesel filter which had no real effect so moved onto the EGR valve, any ideas where to go next? The car starts and runs fine but when I stop at a junction or lights and put it in neutral it starts to idle rough like its missing. This doesn't happen every time but when it does i just give it a rev and it clears. Car is a 54 plate 2.2 diesel tourer.

16. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Cozezo, well, well, sounds like Beefy and me were spot on: open EGR or not good functioning EGR. That one's solved. Over to the rough idling.
    1) rough idling is never caused by a fuel filter. As stuck fuel filter will result in a loss of top speed or top end power (on a petrol). In a diesel, it might be completely stuck (frozen diesel), but also that will not result in rough idling. Engine won't start at all.
    2) idling problems. General rule number one if you ask my advice: valve clearance. You would be surprised what a change you might experience once this is done.
    3) I assume you have no DTC's? Because a (intermittend) faulty sensor (rev or camshaft) might cause this kind of issues also.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds