Engine & Gearbox Poor and Lumpy starting

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by BSR67, Tuesday 15th Apr, 2014.

1. BSR67 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chaps

Got back from London today. My trusty 2007 2.2 I-CDTI was parked at York station.

Turned the key and the motor didn't start up straight away as it always does. Turned the key again and it took a number of cranks and ran very lumpily for about 5 or so seconds. It then cleared its throat and ran OK. I turned it off, and re-started. Same thing.

Drove home, stopping for fuel, and it started fine. Left it 5 minutes and it started fine again.

Went out just now, three and a half hours later and it started but needed more cranking and the engine 'jumps' or 'shudders' as it starts. Almost as if its firing on three, not four.

Also, from leaving the house this morning (Harrogate) to York, and return, there is a wining noise from what one of the pulleys - a bearing on a pump of some sort? Related or not, I don't know.

I wonder whether the alternator is on its way out (a bearing) and its not charging the battery sufficiently causing glow plug woes? Could be clutching at straws.

Any ideas? Taking to the garage tomorrow ...... It's done 138,500 miles and still pulls like a train. Just done the oil and filter with fully synthetic 0w30 and genuine Honda Oil filter.

Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Initial thoughts would be check/clean EGR, change fuel filter for original Honda one, take it from there.

You say it does the same thing after stopping engine, this kind of suggests its not glow plugs as the combustion chamber would have warmed up by then anyway.

3. BSR67 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi

Sorry, to clarify. Starts far more easily warm. Not lumpy etc.

Fuel filter is genuine Honda, and approximately 16,000 miles old. Should be good for 24,000 I believe - every other service?

4. BSR67 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

And sorry, what's EGR?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you see any acronyms on Honda Karma that have dots underneath, this means you can hover over the acronym and you will get an explanation of the acronym.

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. This can get clogged up with sooty exhaust gasses. There should be a guide on HK on how to clean it.