Fuel Efficiency poor mpg

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by shayequr01, Sunday 31st Mar, 2013.

1. shayequr01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can anyone explain why I might be getting 25mpg from my car or something like that. I am getting 40 miles for every ten pounds I fuel up.

This consists of city driving. Not even driving fast at all.

Recently had a new clutch fitted.
  2. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Diesel or petrol?
  3. shayequr01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

diesel 2004 saloon.

I bought this car to save me money not empty me out. I am only a student lol

- - - Updated - - -

diesel 2004 saloon.

I bought this car to save me money not empty me out. I am only a student lol
  4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Slow stop start city driving in freezing conditions will only ever give you poor MPG. I wouldn't expect that low but probably not much higher. What do you get on a decent run at say 60mph.
  5. shayequr01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not really driven at the speed yet tbh.

Do you think a lack of service and tyre pressures could be the reason. Or do you think there is more to it?
  6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You're best checking your tyres and oil levels etc. I would take it for a run and you'll find once up to temperature you'll get far better economy. My first accord could range from 35mpg over a full tank up to 55mpg dependant on the driving I was doing.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you had a diesel car before this ? Could be to do with driving style. The trick to economical diesel driving is to change just before the turbo kicks in.

Getting the EGR checked/cleaned may help.
  8. shayequr01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think you are right about the EGR valve. Got it hooked up to a diagnostic machine and it came up that the state of mine is appaling!

Car is going in for a full service on Tuesday, will get the tyre pressures checked, tracking done and EGR valve cleaned out.

If that doesn't do it then I'm completely lost.

I have owned more diesels than petrols so I don't have any issues adjusting my driving.