Body, Paint & Styling Poor quality workmanship?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by -BA-, Tuesday 11th Feb, 2014.

1. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK guys, the back story behind the lead up to me having these parking sensors fitted:

Bought the car second hand from an Approved Honda Dealership in November and the supplied it with only one key. I pushed for them to issue a second which they finally agreed to (I'll come back to this shortly).

Car was damaged in December as per my other thread, resulting in a new bumper needing to be fitted. This work was carried out under Honda Accident Management at the same dealership's body shop. The manager of establishment signed over the car to me but the chap below him (Body Shop Manager) decided to take one final look at the vehicle and recalled it. The car then had to go back in for further work as they needed to order another part. The upshot of this was that they offered to fit parking sensors I planned to purchase, at cost.

I subsequently bought the Bosch Park Pilot (see yet another thread) and was going to have a camera and LCD rearview mirror fitted. The cost to have the camera and mirror fitted was prohibitive (even at cost price) so I plumped for just the parking sensors (£90+VAT quoted).

This work was supposed to have taken place on Friday but the manager forgot to pick up my vehicle (no phone call, only when I rang and they said, "Oh yeah we forgot, sorry"). As I have been working from home this week we agreed for it to be done yesterday.

Now just before we move to the work done I refer back to the spare key. The key needed to be programmed and this was done last week at my local dealership (not the body shop) and I was there all of 40 mins and they lightly valeted my car (just for a key reprogramme).

My car has just been returned to me this morning and this is how it has come back to me:

This attachment was lost due to a bug in our old forum software before launching Honda Karma.
    If you are the author of this post, please try and re-upload this image for future members.

This attachment was lost due to a bug in our old forum software before launching Honda Karma.
    If you are the author of this post, please try and re-upload this image for future members.

Now worst of all is this one:

Now this car was delivered back to me by the main manager (sadly not the diligent body shop manager who originally recalled the car) and he said he never even noticed the gash on my bumper. How do you not see that when it is so close to work he should have been inspecting? I am right to think that is a screwdriver gash or similar tool aren't I? This is a rear bumper and just doesn't look like a stone chip.

Now the manager is calling later to take payment by phone, I have already spoken to Honda UK just for advice and they are happy to escalate it. The manager has already said they would take a look at the bumper if I bring it back in (30 bloomin' miles away) but I want them to take out the trim in the boot area and start again because I don't want it to start to rattle a few months down the line because of something they have missed and I can't check.

Am I being unreasonable?

If you got this far, many thanks for taking the time to read :Thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 7th Mar, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud I will get to the point ! so please accept my apologies this if it comes across as direct!

Why did you accept the car? you should have said let me inspect it and check before talking delivery. Once they have got your signature they have your approval.

Just get back to the service manager and lay out your concern as you have here and let them get it fixed to your satisfactions, or even engage Honda Accident Management if you get no traction from the SM. You have to give the SM the opportunity to fix your concerns.

3. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hiya and thanks for the reply, it is definitely appreciated. I have signed no paperwork as the car was delivered to my drive, I suppose I should have sent him off with a flea in his ear but it was dark and it was only in the light of day that I have been able to inspect it closer. At this point I have signed nothing and paid nothing. Yes the car is on my drive but he has already said to bring it back in for touch up work on the bumper. I have since noticed (should have done from the photo too I suppose) that they haven't sprayed the rings, only the inner sensors. The whole lot is supposed to be colour coded.

Really not happy as I have found two other scuffs on the bumper that are almost matching distances from their respective sensors (the two inner ones) and I think have been caused by resting the bumper on its face without protection (see below):

The mark is more visible in the second picture but is over to the far left in the first picture too.

Really not pleased but further advice would be most welcome.

4. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    That's disgraceful. Whenever my car has gone in for anything it has always been valeted and returned to me spotless. Even when I took it in just after New Year for the DPF update it was cleaned inside and out, and I had only had its first service done a few weeks before.

5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Courtesy car, rework carried out, and a reinspection done prior to the car being accepted.

Our country is full of dodgy workmanship and thousands of businesses that will work 10 times harder to avoid blame than they will to keep a possible return customer.

They are the professionals in this situation and what they have delivered is substandard.

If the first phonecall doesn't go as planned a solicitors letter should be drawn up to ensure the work is carried out, no loss of time or energy on your part and at absolutely zero cost to you.

I have damaged customers cars in the past, I would be certain pretty much anyone who has ever been near a car has damaged it in some way, but being honest and upfront has always lead to a continued good relationship and generally very little outlay on my part to fix my mistake. I guess that's why I will never be rich though.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The heavy hand approach is the last thing you want to go for when you want your car fixed. Give them the opportunity to address it first

7. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well the car has gone back in today for the work to be carried out on it. A rather lame excuse was given for why the rings weren't painted, something to do with the paint build up would have been too great for the ratchet system behind the bumper to then allow fixing. I said they should have just painted the fronts of them carefully and not get paint on the rear of the rings (can't be that hard surely).

Upon closer inspection the crap on my front passenger seat was tobacco; realised this when I looked at the white mark on the left hand side of the seat and realised it was fag ash. Needless to say he got both barrels for that. No one smokes in my car, period. Will be interested to see how well they repair the gouge in the paint on the bumper because you can actually feel how raised up it is.

Really don't think my car will ever go back to this bodyshop again. Very poor attitude and such a shame because the body shop manager who originally recalled the car after the bumper work clearly was much more aware of customer care than his boss.

8. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Feel for you.

We all work damm hard to buy our cars and then some reckless numpty takes the mick.

Not on, just not on.

Never mind fag ash, the smell of smoke etc...really, in the current economic climate and people still don't go above and beyond is baffling to my pea brain.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've just had my paint work damaged by a garage this week, some scrapes on the boot lid whilst they were trying to secure the spoiler as it was about to fall off. He showed me straight away and said he would get it sorted when it goes in on Tuesday to find out what on earth is clunking in the rear. I don't mind, accidents happen but I probably wouldn't have noticed it for a while because of the rain so would have put it down to kids going past the house or something. So, the fact that he showed me straightaway, admitted it and agreed to sort it without me even asking goes a long, long way.

They spent three hours diagnosing the car (I know because I was there the whole time) and also adjusting the subframe but wouldn't charge me because they couldn't find the problem with the rear and the subframe requires some more fine tuning. It's going back in for a whole day because they are determined to find the problem and hate being beaten! It's taken me a while to find a garage like this.

A long time ago my 6th Generation Accord's rear bumper was wrecked by Hyndland Honda and 1/2 the lacquer had peeled off. I spotted a very powerful diesel run jet hose around the back, the kind we use here for hosing down the excavators etc. I also found an 8" nail in the tyre and the car was pulling to the left as well despite them having just done the tracking (which is what it was in for). The denied everything of course and the manager wouldn't even come out so I never went back. It's now Phoenix Honda and I'm not sure if it's different people running it but I'm still wary and will only use them for parts.

I put my current car into the local Mazda main dealer for the AirCon to be fixed under warranty. Straight after getting it back there's this damn clunking from the rear. It could be a coincidence, or they could have been slamming it off the ramps and doing doughnuts in the car park. Just a bit fishy though how the suspension can suddenly have a problem afterwards but it would be an easy thing for them to deny though.

My Mondeo went into Parks Motor Group for warranty work and I got it back with the rear N/S door paintwork damaged. They denied it but out of good faith (lol) tried to fix it. They made it worse and burnt through the paint.

My dad's black 6th Generation went into an independent garage for servicing and I noticed a big thick scrape along the bottom of the passenger side upon return. He wouldn't do anything about it because he figured it was already there but I knew it wasn't. I suspect he knew the garage would just deny it and then there's be a bad atmosphere going forward. To me it looked like a trolley jack had scraped along it and I know he crams a lot of cars in there at night.

Every time my Mazda had to go in to the main dealer I photographed the whole car in their car park when dropping it off. I probably looked like a prat but who cares, saves a lot of hassle if something happens. Either way accidents happen but for me it's how honest they are and how they deal with it that matters the most :Smile:

10. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

To be honest, I think I will do the same from now on. I inspected the work whilst he was there and raised the gouge mark straight away because I could feel the damn thing! It was only afterwards that I found the other issues in the light of day.

11. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Feel for you.

We all work damm hard to buy our cars and then some reckless numpty takes the mick.

Not on, just not on.

Never mind fag ash, the smell of smoke etc...really, in the current economic climate and people still don't go above and beyond is baffling to my pea brain.

12. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right car has come back again this morning and I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the apathy of this body shop. I have taken some more photos and would appreciate some feedback before I speak to them (and pay the bill).

Concerned about this one as the sensor seems to be misaligned and the ring is not flush, you can get your fingernail behind it.

And having complained about the state of the car and being told it would be cleaned; this is how it has come back second time...

I am pretty much done with this garage and am not prepared to have the car go back to them again. Would love some feedback on how I take this forward. They have repaired the chip as you can see in image 1 but it's not exactly perfect.

13. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right I popped into my local dealership where I bought the car and got to speak to the GM. Really nice guy who listened to all my concerns.

He has arranged for his paint guy to take a look at my bumper to try and blend the mark better and is going to arrange for a full valet and lifeshine inside and out. He was pretty dismayed with the state of how my car came back to me.

He is going to get someone to check the misaligned sensor isn't going to cause any issues too.

Not how I wanted to spend my Saturday morning but at least some light at the end of the tunnel.

Going to just pay the bill and have done with it. Would you guys expect a discount or is that unreasonable?

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    They really needed to fill that gash and rub flat before painting. I'm also sure I can see orange peel.

15. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry to be thick but what is the significance of orange peel? I can see it too but thought that was just how the paint settled. It looks over a much wider area than anything they should have been painting.

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aesthetics and resale value I reckon. A decent machine polisher could probably sort it otherwise it'll need wet sanding. If they've rushed it then it may not have dried properly and although it's ok just now it could crack in a few weeks/months (that crazy paving look).

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    BA just keep tabs on the GM at the dealership and use the contact number at Honda customer relations to keep them in touch is they do not live up to their promises.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Nothing to add other than I'm completely dismayed at the fact that the dealer, still, hasn't rectified this properly.

19. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well it seems one of the missing clips is inside the bootspace somewhere because when I shut the boot there is now a rattle. So damn frustrated at poor attention to detail so I will be following it up with a complaint to Honda UK regardless of the attempt to appease me from the other garage (they are still the same dealership after all).

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What ever you do NEVER write in to Honda use the phone. take that as advice.