Tools Portable Battery Booster / Jump Start Unit - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Accord_N22, Tuesday 24th Jun, 2014.

1. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Guys

Looking to get a portable battery booster jump starter as I have been caught out several times in the past and thought it be a good idea to get one.
    My other cars "Honda Prelude 2.2vti and the wife's car "ford Puma" are both petrol so most battery jump starters should be fine but its getting one which would jump start the Accord. Being a diesel its a quite power hungry and I can only imagine if the accord's battery were to go flat it would require a beefy battery booster to get it to start.

Which ones have people got ? any recommendations?
    Would jumping the Accord cause any damage to its electrics or ECU components etc

I was thinking of this one - Really powerful but its weighs a hefty 19kgs
    Clarke Heavy Duty Jump Start 4000 | eBay

Cheers Peeps

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've had a CTEK battery charger for a few years, and it is a fantastic thing.

Looking to see if they did a jump starter, I saw this warning on their website:

jump start | CTEK blog

I've got no idea as to the technical accuracy of what they are saying, but it may be useful information?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lexus ECU get fried by these external battery boosters , Honda accord are ok but won't do a legend with it.

But I would avoid them.

4. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Crikey. I never knew until recently with jump starting modern cars. Will definitely thread carefully it think.

Definitely made me have second thoughts

5. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bought a Noco Genius Boost GB30 recently , tried it out removing the car battery and tried jumping the Legend just using the GB30 it did work a little pricey but it is very well made and very compact and portable. Also to note it is very safe to use does not create surges or sparks , and has fail safe modes in case you connect it up wrong etc

Superman001 likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oooh I like that !!

7. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Oooh that is nice.
    Small and portable too.
    Some reviews do say it fails to jump start a standard car though.
    Whats the Ah rating of this?
    Would it be juicy enough to jump start a hefty diesel?

specs here
    GB30 12V Lithium Jump Starter | NOCO Genius

8. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Accord_N22

Yes I read & seen the reviews on youtube prior to buying it, its not cheap but it started my Honda Legend which is a 3.5 V6 no problems. I removed the car battery and did a direct connecting from the NOCO GB30 and it fired up without problems. I also tested it on the Merc E320 Without battery again and that also started.

from what I gather it is 400A peak current rating. im not sure why there are bad reviews on this I am thinking they either have faulty units or they are using it wrong,
    for example if a car battery alternator is dead no matter how you jump start a car it will still fail ,
    on the Noco GB30 if it senses that the car battery is really low voltage there is a special override button which boosts the electric charge for start the car, and I am sure that is why some people are failing to jump start their cars. Of it can start both of my cars without the car battery attached I cannot see why it should not start yours.

If your still in doubt and if your a Amazon account holder you can always buy it and try it out yourself and if your still not sure you can always give it back for a full refund.

9. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers Sam.
    Sounds like a good idea. Will give it a go.

10. sgoaty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scott
    I originally thought smart charges were just a gimmick but after reading an interesting article on them I decided to buy a Ctek to try it out. My lawnmower has been very lazy to wind over for the last year or so sometimes just giving a click I had had it on charge several times with a conventional charger and it made very little difference. I put the Ctek on it overnight on the recon setting and it wound over instantly. I have since been running the recon cycle on just about every battery I have. I'm definitely a convert now.

11. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Penzance
    How sensitive are the FR-V's to these jump starters?

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

They aren't pickey at all as far as I know.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just wondering but how does jump starting cause a huge surge of voltage and current? Surely it's just 14 odd volts coming from the other car? Not sure about current though.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Something to do with difference in battery level between the two batteries meaning a high amount of current flowing to the battery that is low.
    When accessories come in the charging car (say A/C kicks in) the slight change in voltage is amplified to the low battery.

Hence it's recommended that you switch off all accessories in the car that is doing the jumping.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Was just having another think about this and when hooking a second battery up will it be in series or parallel? I don't think the current changes when in series but the voltage does and the opposite for parallel. I wonder because the flat battery becomes active then you will have one of these things happening?