Suspension, Steering and Brakes Possible ADAS Issue?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by TheDarkKnight, Friday 30th Mar, 2012.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Maybe its just me, but I noticed once or twice on the M40 yesterday that ADAS was acting up a bit.

The LKAS was tugging the car slightly more to the left that usual. A slight manual correction by me then meant it stray too close to the white lines on the right. Its been fine since I had the new bumper fitted, but it was intermittent yesterday - I checked that there wasnt any coverage on the radar and upper LKAS camera so am a bit stumped.

Taking the car to be aligned later just to see if the tracking is out (which I highly doubt) but if there any other ADAS equipped 8th Genners out there or of course, our expert CJ, I'd be interested to hear your take on this.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Saj had you activated the ACC active curise control whislt this happened or was it experienced without activation. If you did activate ACC at what speed was set to and what car length distances had your defined?

I take it all your tyres are the same make same rating and tyre pressure is all as per specs

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Two Goodyear Excellence tyres on front, OEM Yokohama's on rear.

ACC activated with ADAS at 60 & 70 mph and still pulled to the left. When ACC was switched off, same again. Corrective inputs to "centralize" the car between the lines, both with/out ACC at 60 then 70mph resulted, as per my first post, a slight drift to the right almost on the white lines. Tracking done today and its all arrow-straight.

Just wonder if its was the road surface and its unevenness that may have caused the wayward movements.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will need to look into the Goodyear tyre specification to see whether the side wall and the rolling radius is making the CMBS and ACC aspect of the ADAS all worked up.

Just for your info when you set ACC the CMBS also kick in and it can be triggered by things other than cars. The radar in the front grill will potentially detect any object in front and calculate whether impact is likely. This could include horses, motor cycles, pedestrians, cyclists, brick walls, road signs.

So you can get these red herrings it also down to the distance pre-sets, you have three options of distance if you set it one bar then the radar will be keen to help CMBS to avoid collision. If you set it two and three and it scanning a wider field and calculates the impact with a bigger threshold.

Now the VSA also has a part in the CMBS and ACC if the VSA calculates the vehicle getting unstable nd deviating from it from it target slip rate then it disengages the system for the driver to intervene , this in your case can be by the adverse camber on the road..

Keep an eye on the things and report back. If you can give all the tyre marking and rating for the goodyears I will look to it.

ADAS was designed to assist drivers but not take control of the car operation it a fantastic system with so many computation to make in real time one factor a slight deviation it will disengage. I can wait to get my hands on my car and do a full proper review.

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Will do tomorrow CJ.

Personally I don't believe its the tyres as I have had them on a few months now and they've never caused any angst and the ADAS has been perfectly fine too.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't think it the tyres as you have the same tyre on the same axle but if they are not to ADAS tyre standards then we can have an issue.

7. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So so complex! :Messed:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes bud LKAS and ACC are very finely tunned to work within a specified range, Honda has done extensive research on this field and wrong tyres will throw a few curve balls.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That reminds me, will put up tyre details tomorrow.

10. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the OEM tyres and a 2-3 Psi diff can actually stop the LKAS from keeping in the lane, it's like when a lower typre pressure can make steering heavier, the 'assist' doesn't have enough assist to overcome. the information plate on mine states either 32/33 (can't remember) or 35 psi depending on kerb weight, with the kiddy seats and crap usually in mine the 35 psi makes sense for me, dropped to 32, LKAS got wiggy, back to 35 - working again..

Az

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I check my tyre pressures every couple of days given the driving I do.

They are fine. Ironically, the ADAS/LKAS hasn't played up at all this week. Its been spot on.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    in the famous word of Pink Floyd your LKAS had a "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

just been listening to it so found it apt.:Wink:

13. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    @Ichiban, can I pick your brain on the subject?

Just getting accustomed with the ACC and LKAS on the new car, and want to make sure I understand the reasons behind its behaviour, or identify an issue if there is one.

Consider the following two scenarios:
    1)
    - Truck in left lane doing 60
    - ACC set to lowest setting (although tried higher settings as well), LKAS on, speed set to 70mph
    - as I get closer to the truck, ACC lets me know there is a car in front (even though the truck is not on my lane) and starts slowing down
    - once I get closer it brakes harder, almost matching the truck's speed. Once near the truck the notification (the car icon with white colour fill), will change into the contour-only icon, and it starts accelerating back to the preset speed

2)
    - Truck in left lane doing 60
    - ACC lowest setting, LKAS on, speed set to 70 but doing 68 because I am already following another car in the middle lane and it slowed down to match its speed
    - We both keep coming towards the truck, overtaking it, without slowing down

Is it that intelligent that it knows that if the car in front can keep the speed and safely pass the truck in my lane, it will not slow down and also keep the speed?

On few occasions when on ACC and LKAS I had the ACC turn off even without a car in front of me.

This is a huge step from simple CC in the previous car, so I am still trying to understand it.

Also once more scenario that happened today, thought it wasn't quite safe.

Scenario one from above, but once it started speeding up to the preset speed once I started passing the truck, it failed to recognise there's a car in front of me. I have been watching it so I started changing lane but CMBS warning came up as well. Too many variables so far so need advice from someone who's been using those systems for a while

14. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    The first men in space had a monkey for a co-pilot, their instructions were "do not forget to feed the monkey"

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A person who has never used a system like this will say that , so sorry that just cack.

Rob this is going to be a short reply first check the tyres all around are they same make same spec and to the OEM spec, cheap tyres throw the ADAS system into a tizz. Tyres & Wheels - LKAS error on Dash

Secondly don't fight the system too much it will intervene Optional Extras - ADAS "Stability"

Have a read this In-Depth - 2013 Accord - Technologies Overview

CMBS and LKAS both work in tandem to run ACC. so what you are experiencing is both speaking to each other and then controlling ACC. If you were here I can demonstrate the system far better than writing an essay which mean nothing let think of your situation again and see how the system works and but pay importance to the CMBS Activate Condition these are variables which can cause it to go hyper active.