Engine & Gearbox Possible engine mount?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by siscragg, Sunday 11th Nov, 2012.

1. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello all, my 2004 I-CTDI has developed a vibration through the pedals and the body, it feels like the engine is touching the body is there any place in particular I should look. Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Does the engine move a lot when you start it up ?

Could be engines mounts... could be drive shaft imbalance .. CV joints.. unbalanced tyres.

3. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I replaced both drive shafts at 160k, it's coming through the car in all gears at about 2000rpm it doesn't seem torque related. I have tried to rock the engine by hand and it seems firm enough.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Did you replace with new or second hand drive shafts ?

See this link, driver shaft issues seem to be common cause of vibration on these cars http://hondakarma.com/threads/55/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  5. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

New shafts, it's not in the drive line, it's the engine. It will do it when stationary. Thanks for the replies.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ah ok .. do you feel any vibration in clutch peddle when engaging gear ?
    It could be dual mass flywheel issues, especially given the fact its worse around 2000 rpms.

7. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No there's no vibration in the clutch which I'm thinking is a good thing. The noise seems to come from the O/S or front of the engine, especially on over run when you take your foot off the gas. Could it be a vibration damper issue? The car runs fine it just feels like the engine is on your lap.

8. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

update

The car got me home, booked it straight into my local garage. On inspection they found a seized belt tensioner, had it replaced today along with the belt £250 all in. Took it home tonight and the vibration is still there, the mechanic told me that the idler pulley wasn't the best but it would take 2 days for Honda to get one. I will get the pulley myself and fit it next week. Anyone know the best place to get one as I should imagine Honda won't be cheap and Christmas is coming.

9. hondavtecr Trader

Chris Manchester
    check your lower arm compliance bushes, once the bush wears the metal arm sits against the subframe.

10. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that can you give me some idea where to find these on the vehicle?

11. hondavtecr Trader

Chris Manchester
    Remove your front wheels, the compliance bush is on the lower arms. Theres your ball joint that goes to the bottom of the hub and then two bushes that bolt the arm up into position. The ones to check are the big bushes towards the front end of the car.

12. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Would this cause the engine to vibrate through the chassis?

13. hondavtecr Trader

Chris Manchester
    It can do yes, there's no harm in looking regardless to be honest.

14. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for that I'll have a look next week when I'm in work.

15. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok here's the update, engine vibration has developed. Today going to work I lost engine oil pressure, I wasn't going fast so managed to switch off before anymore damage was done. I take it the oil pump chain has broken. My question is, what's the best place to get a kit from? I've seen them on eBay for £599 is this the going rate, or is there an OEM kit I can purchase out there. £600+labour =scrap car :Frown:

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi bud

Sorry to hear this but this is not uncommon :Sobbing: what the value of the car you need to decide total cost of car versus repairs cost. As for the damage you won't know if you were able to save the engine in time until you strip it down. if the chain has snapped whilst driving then there will be damage irrespective that is for sure.

Ideally you need to strip the engine to see if there is damage before buying parts,its a tough call.

17. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

With 177000 on the clock it's only worth maybe 1k, shame to scrap it, but not cost effective. Looks like I'm in the market for a new motor. Anyone want a nearly new belt tensioner?

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup the best option then is to scrap it or dismantle it for parts.

19. siscragg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies, what do you think is a fair price for salvage. It's in good condition, half leather, 17"alloys all the sport refinements apart from the engine :°(

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you take it into a scrap yard you will get bottom dollar.if you can strip the car yourself and when required and sell the bits yourself you will get more than its scrap value.

One caveat there are loads of I-CTDI in the same boat you don't need to go far on eBay and other site to see a large number Accords being stripped. If you got the patience and time over the winter months you could shift the car and get your grand of investment back.