Engine & Gearbox Possible fuel trouble

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by sr6666, Wednesday 9th Mar, 2016.

1. sr6666 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom sr thurso
    Hi, I have just bought a 2.2 FR-V, one day out of the blue it cut out a quarter of a mile from the house.
    no lights on dash, it just died.
    Tried turning it over but it wouldn't fire up, I noticed the fuel priming bulb on top of the engine was soft and squidgy, so i got someone to pump the bulb while I turned the key, the engine would start but only rev to 2000rpm and once the person stopped pumping the bulb the engine wound stop.
    Any idea what would be the first thing I should check, many thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    In my humble diesel knowledge its either not building fuel pressure so fuel pump/fuel filter Or its leaking pressure off the rail due to leaky injectors or faulty over pressure relief valve.

3. sr6666 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom sr thurso
    Thanks for your help, does anyone know what route the fuel take EG is the filter between the tank and hand primer or hand primer and engine?
    As I was going to try starting the engine by bypassing the fuel filter for a few seconds to see if I can narrow it down before spending money on parts I don't need, i will also try checking the injectors to see if they are returning to much to the tank.

It just how it runs from the hand primer bulb that has me confused.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It sounds like the 'lift' pump might have failed (it's co-located with the high-pressure diesel pump and shares the same drive shaft from the engine). I have heard of the internal drive shearing on these CP3 fuel pumps. If the engine can be got running, then the high pressure pump must be successfully pressurising the fuel rail.

I blame the EU.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @vincemince @jimjams see he seen the light what a few days can do.. :Whistle:

vincemince and jimjams like this.
  6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I guess it's unlikely that the fuel pump would fail immediately you bought it! Maybe it was sold because of this problem?

It'll be interesting to see how it starts from stone cold. A hot running problem might support Speedy's suggestion.

Entering your car details into this website will give you access to vehicle schematics, you'll eventually find details of the fuel system...
    https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_catalogue_M01.php

Vote for Brexit!