Exhaust System post Dpf removal issues

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Aty01, Thursday 20th Feb, 2014.

1. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys

I have went and got the DPF removed a while back. However the car still ones into limp mode. The garage has went and remapped the ECU.

There is no lights that appear on the dashboard, but as I said the car still goes into limp mode

Please help guys

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I am afraid this is a problem for the company who re-mapped your car to sort out. Unless you put everything back to standard there is nothing honda or anyone else can do. Either the way it has been bypassed is not correct or it is a software issue.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's the danger of getting a DPF removed, the codes erased from the ECU which only stops the engine light coming on, even though a fault maybe still be thrown by the ECU.

4. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The garage claims that the pressure sensor is gone and are asking £200 for it to be replaced

P.s due to errors the garage has remapped the car twice till now

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Maybe put the DPF back and the errors will disappear.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I guess they've smashed the inside of the DPF to bits, leaving only the carcass in place.

7. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee yeah that's what they did bro

Why also bypassed the sensor so that it wouldn't show errors

And now they are asking for another £200 to change the pressure sensor

I'm going to a different garage tomorow hopefully to get a second opinion

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Unless the 2nd garage can read the remap they probably won't have a clue.

There is no guarantee the remap is even bringing up the correct fault code, or if there is even a fault.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So what do you thing I should do now ?/?

Last edited: Friday 21st Feb, 2014
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You need to go back to the original garage that did the DPF removal.

Get more details of their diagnoses. What's the code that they are using to determine the fault is a pressure sensor issue and which pressure sensor are they talking about.

Did it run OK for any length of time after DPF removal ? Or was this a problem that occurred immediately after DPF removal.

11. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The car runs fine for about 5-10 mins before going into limp-mode

As for the pressure sensor when I asked them they tapped on the following part circled on the lower left of the image. However when I looked at the pipes which are circled next to them on the image they were welded shut so I'm thinking that's why try are giving no pressure ?/?

image.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You still haven't said if it ever ran fine after the DPF removal work ? I'm assuming that these problems occurred right after you had the DPF work done as you haven't stated otherwise.
    From the looks of it that part is the DPF Pressure Differential Sensor and according to Lings website it costs £385 !

Diesels aren't my speciality but is seems as though this sensor looks at the pressure before the DPF and the pressure after the DPF to determine whether the DPF is working OK or not.
    So why would this mysteriously fail immediately after the DPF removal ?

I would be questioning if they have damaged it or or not connected it back up properly. Or done something in the ECU that makes it thinks that has failed.

What are the two welded pipes you mentioned ? Any pics of these ?

- - - Updated - - -

I've reread you're original post and along with the title, I'm now thinking that after DPF removal you have the same symptoms as you had before removal ?
    Please can you clarify what the situation is.

13. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I got the cars DPF removed, the engine management light came on after about 5 mins of driving, I took it back and they reset it. When I reached home, the light came back in it again and they remapped the car again. They then said we can bypass the sensor so that it will stop the management light combing back on

Now the car is going into limp mode but no lights are coming on

14. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The two welded pipes are in the same image that I posted before, it's the one on the right not sure what they are for but they are completely sealed shut

15. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah same symptoms as before but no lights are coming on

And £400 down

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I can't really see any welded pipes from that picture.

Anyway, so ... why didn't these guys come to the same conclusion before they suggested DPF removal to you as they have now about the pressure sensor ?

The problem now that you had the DPF removed is that probably no other garage will touch it.

So you are probably stuck with this garage that have done the DPF removal.

Also I guess it depends on how you approached them. Did you just go them and say I want my DPF removed or did you got them and say I have an issue what do you suggest.

If its the latter than you can try and pressure to fix the fault that is still there otherwise it looks you'll just have trust their latest theory about the pressure sesnor being duff, bite the bullet and pay up for that to be replaced and how it fixes your issues.

17. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    So were assuming here the limp mode before you had it remapped was due the the DPF not regenerating correctly and nothing else. Is that correct?

The garage has now knocked the DPF through and remapped it. The car is still going in to limp mode but without the engine light on due to a separate fault ie the part you circled.

If this part wasn't faulty before the remap then ether one of two things have happened. Either the garage has damaged it or the remap is bringing up a false code. The question is if this is part of the DPF system why wasn't this code also mapped out originally.

So basically your options are:
    1) Assume the remap is correct and replace the part.
    2) Have the fault mapped out.
    3) Restore the original map and see if the fault still occurs to check if the unit is actually faulty. This is assuming having the DPF knocked through doesn't confuse the original map and cause the same fault to be produced anyway.
    4) Restore the ECU and DPF restored back to original.

The part failing immediately after having the map seems to much like a coincidence to me and would lead me to personally believe the map is at fault. Having the DPF reinstated isn't really an option now without considerable expense. Restoring the original map will likely throw up a whole bunch of errors which will give you false positives as the DPF is removed, so that can't be deemed a reliable diagnostic method. I think your only option is to try and have the part causing the new faults mapped out as well and hope the mapping company can do a better job this time. If that don't work do some research and find a better mapping company, or have the DPF and original map reinstated. This is a lesson in doing your research and using a reputable company who have a good track record and independent customer reviews of doing this sort of thing.

18. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes that's right the car was not regenerating and it had the DPF light on.

The garage did knock the DPF out and because the light would continue to come on, they bypassed the sensor and remapped the car again so that the light wouldn't come back on again

The two parts that I have circled are pressure sensor (that's what the garage says) on the left and on he right there are two metal pipes which have been welded shut - that's circled on the right

Definitely it's a lesson learned

Last edited: Friday 21st Feb, 2014
  19. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What if I get a new ECU fitted, would that help ?/?

20. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

did you ever get this sorted in the end?
    a lot of discussion and then silence ... :Frown:

SpeedyGee likes this.