Service & Maintenance Post MoT service

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Mike c, Monday 6th Jan, 2014.

1. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Having sailed through the MOT on Friday, I was happy to send my car for its annual service at my local dealer.
    image my horror when I had a call to tell me that there was additional work required!
    They advised that the handbrake had excessive travel, the rear wiper smears,the battery was low (even though it was recorded at 12volts), the differential oil required a flush and the clutch fluid was contaminated!
    The car has done less than 19000 miles and is 4 years old at the end of this month.
    Last year the dealer advised that the brake fluid required changing and the clutch would need changing within a few months. I decided that it would be good to change both and paid out the £90 to do the job.
    As mentioned the car passed its MOT on Friday and no action was required at all so obviously there was no problem with the brakes or the wipers.
    At first I was tempted to get them to undertake the work but as they couldn't complete it by the desired time I said I would arrange it for another time. I then decided to look into what I had done last time. It was then I realised that the oils were less than 12 months old so why should they need changing again?
    According to the servicing schedule the differential oil should be changed at 8 years or 50000 miles and thereafter at 37000 or 3 years. My car is not even 4 years old yet and with less than 19000 miles it is no where near due
    The total cost for this additional work would be £396.20.
    whilst I have a lot of time for my local dealer! I do wonder if the work is really necessary.
    i will contacting the dealership fairly soon and having words with them.

not so happy bunny
    mike c

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's horrendous how can they justify wanting to do that work especially when it's just passed the MOT and the diff oil isn't even due I bet they haven't even checked the diff oil just out to make money out of you! This is why I won't use garages and do all my work myself or through a very trusted friend for the jobs that are too much for me which is ok for me as my car is too old for FDSH to matter now.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Sounds like the garage are trying to pull a quick one and create a list of extras. If your handbrake was loose it would have been picked up on the MOT and adjusted to pass. If the wiper was smearing that badly it would have been picked up and replaced at the MOT as well. You don't replace a battery producing 12 volts, it's perfectly healthy. As for the clutch fluid they have no way of knowing about any contamination until after they've removed it. And to advise differential fluid needs changing before half the recommended service interval is just highway robbery. To me it doesn't sound like any of the work is necessary.

My advise is never go there again!

4. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have a service plan with the dealer and this is the second service out of the three paid for on the Honda budget plan (fixed price servicing)- yeah right! The cost of the plan was £464 which on the face of it seems quite good but if the add on requirements are calculated in, it doesn't sound quite so good. Last year £90 , this year at £396. I think after the next one I will shop around a bit. It's a pity HH isn't a little nearer.
    Mike c

5. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mmmm I always thought a service plan covered the stuff they said needed done, if not I will have to check my daughters one for Renault Clio I got her :Search:she don't do a lot of miles that's why I got her that thing :Whistle:

6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    If they changed the clutch fluid just last year and now its contaminated then I'd be raising that with them. My clutch fluid is 12 yrs old and as black as two in the morning and still working.

A four year old 12v battery might need replacing, '12.0v' is close to 50% charge and if your car is only doing 19k in 4years then its probably sitting around discharging a fair bit. So although it could be ok just now, it might let you down prior to the next service. Buy from Holdcroft and replace it when it goes kaput or do it right away and forget about it.

Wiper easy fix - are rears checked on MOT, I don't have one on the saloon so wasn't sure? Hand brake travel is checked on MOT as said by Matt.

I understand if the diff is groaning on full lock then new fluid is recommended? I personally would be more inclined to service this maybe before the book interval, but thats just me and the fear of the diff destroying itself.

But other than that, I'd avoid that place too.

7. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

There is two ways to look at this, one= you are doing a lot of miles ( that's not your case) two= when you drive it you are driving short distance and not letting the car breathe as it should ? two sounds more like it, but that does not detract from the service plan that (should in my opinion) cover most of the things that need looked at, me I would push them to get more done on the service plan you got in good faith lol :Hey:

8. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    The car drives (and stops) perfectly and there are no noises in evidence . The fluids still look as clean as they did 12 months ago when they filled them. If they have tested the fluids and found water contamination I would consider that the storage of such fluids may be a fault prior to fitting. They do say that a can of fluid can absorb up to 2% water over night if the container is left open to the air.
    Another interesting thing I noted is that they have stated that the tyres are 13% worn ! In a few weeks and less than 400 miles- I think not!
    Mike c

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The report they gave you was definitely for your car wasn't it??

10. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds like the company accountant stood in for the mechanic while he was at lunch :Laughing:

11. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Well we are into May and the battery hasn't missed a beat despite the car sitting outside 24/7x360days and only doing around 10 miles a day! The rear wiper, I decided to change anyway. There is still no noise from the diff and the hydraulics are still as clean as the day they were changed some 16 months ago. Oh and the brakes and steering are still perfect, so I think my decision to NOT follow the recommendations of my local dealer were correct. The cheeky sods, text me last week to remind me of the work that needed doing.
    Mike c

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Back of the net , happy for you bud.

13. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Mike,
    I paid for a service plan when I bought the wife's Accord, I took it to two separate dealers over the five services and not once did any of them ask me for any extra money or extra items that needed work doing. The car had about 50,000 miles on the last service and it was approx 4.5 years old! Exactly what I expected, the service plan should cover everything that your car requires in the miles that it is supposed to do! your dealer seems to be trying it on!
    Is it about time we started to name and shame??

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @lefty name and shame makes it worse, if you really want action your feedback and concerns ate best directed to Honda Customer Services as they can take tangible action , all we will do is moan and nothing will improve.:Niceone:

@Mike c should also do the same.