Suspension, Steering and Brakes Pot Hole = Squeaky Time

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by DeviateDefiant, Sunday 14th Jul, 2013.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Was coming up the M6 yesterday back home and hit a pothole at high speed. My driver's side suspension somewhere is nice and squeaky - I'd assume I've knackered one of the shocks, coils look fine from what I can see. I know my front lower bushes have seen better days aswell.

Does that diagnosis sound right? I'd assume I should replace the shocks as a pair, is there any reputable third party manufacturers or should play it safe and go OEM?

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    While we can agree with your assumptions to the cause of the squeak giving you a diagnosis over a forum is just not possible. If I were you I'd take it to a dealership or trusted independent and have the cause of the squeak confirmed. Then once you've found this out and the cost to repair you can decide if OEM or third party manufactured replacement parts fit your situation best.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I realise it's just speculation without looking closer at it, I'll get it confirmed when I'm back down south again but just trying to get an idea if there's anything else I should look for. Chances are I won't bother with a garage.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Would it be worth giving your wheel a good inspection? Could also have knocked the balance off or worse the alignment! Hopefully not but if it knackered your shock....

Can't you check your shock with the old push and bounce test?

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

My alloys are already in quite the sorry state, they were balanced a couple of weeks ago but are in need of a desperate refurb. When I get the time, I will refurb and then rebalance them again. Until then, if they're a little out it will have to do. Tracking seems fine still at least.

I've tested the suspension best I can on the drive way (bouncing it to hell) but cannot replicate the sound, if I take a speed hump however it's pretty damned noticeable.

- - - Updated - - -

Poor demonstration but here's a clip, took a speed bump at the speed limit to try illustrate the problem (apologies car). The glass crash sound is a crate of Becks in the boot :Rolf:

arctic, you can hear my crank time on the video too if you're still interested.

Last edited: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    That sounds to me like either the shock of the spring. Does it make the same sort of noise going round corners or is it just through up and down motions of the suspension?

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It just seems to be the up and down motion of the suspension, though I did note some kind of metallic rubbing sound around a bend earlier. It was gone as fast as I noticed it, hasn't come back since.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    What I meant is can you not push down on each corner of the car once and see how many times it bounces? If the shock is gone wouldn't it bounce a few times?

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Oh, well there's certainly no bouncing whatsoever, it's stiff as anything (though Type-S do have marginally stiffer suspension). The wheel arch shroud protecting the engine bay seems to somehow have shredded amongst all this and is rubbing against the wheel. I'm utterly confused.

It was dark when I caught on, so I'm going to get some pictures done later. If I get the time I'll crank it up and remove the wheel for a proper inspection.

10. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It sounds like your ARB droplink is out of grease and squeaking. Get a pry bar and try moving the bar to see if you can get it.

11. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I noticed a squeak on mine going slowly over speed bumps and it turned out to be the droplinks. The outer bar and inner cap had separated although it was still together on the car, a forceful pull and it came off one end completely.

I just done a brief howto in the 6th Generation section, best get a large prybar and try and move the ARB whilst paying attention to the droplinks and/or pry perpendicularly with a little force to the droplinks and see if they separate.