Introductions Potential 1st time Honda owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by airwaves1112, Thursday 31st Mar, 2016.

1. airwaves1112 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Richard Bristol
    Hello my name is Richard and I live in Bristol. I'm thinking of buying an imported Honda and just wanted to reach out to what is always the best knowledge base, the actual owners of Honda's

2. airwaves1112 New Member Getting Started

Would be worth mentioning that I'm thinking of buying an imported Honda Spike, my concern as this is not my 1st import is getting parts. I used to have a Nissan Cube which the owners club had discovered was a Micra under the fancy body. I'm hoping that someone here has done the same investigations which will make it less of a worry to buy one.

3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had never even heard of a Spike :-/

Welcome to HK though.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Richard, welcome to Honda Karma :Hey:

We've got quite a few people on here that own and drive imports @jd1959, @Jbob, @numpty67 to name a few.

Have a look in the Other Honda models section Other Honda Models

Well ! You're a Ford man what would you know about Hondas huh ! :Laughing:

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Interesting looking car

Honda_Mobilio_Spike_2002.

Welcome to HK

6. airwaves1112 New Member Getting Started

Have a look at the leg room and the size of the boot, one just sold for £3500 OTR from a UK importer before it even got off the boat!! But I need to know I can get the parts.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thank you for the warm welcome.
    - - - Updated - - -
    That pictures a bit bland, have a look at the ones on ebay with body kits on!!

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    The name is Mobilio Spike! Pretty cool car with bags of space.
    I have seen plenty of these but not in UK. I think it is based on an extended City/Fit/Jazz platform and I can see that I uses L-series engines and CVT-7 which are again from Honda Fit/City so I have every reason to believe that it shares many parts from them.

8. numpty67 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Richard and welcome, really like both the Mobilio and the Mobilio Spike and was seriously tempted after I got rid of my S-MX but decided against it after the trouble I had sourcing parts for the S-MX. If you have an understanding of how cars work you should be fine, I don't, I had to rely on mechanics solving then fixing any issues that came up and in the end decided it wasn't worth the hassle, for me.

Here is a link to the Japanese Wiki page, always good for info on JDM.
    https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ホンダ・モビリオ

And a link to the brochures, sometimes pictures can be helpful, click on Imports and Worldwide.
    Brochures & Manuals

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

10. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Hello! Welcome along.

Would normally suggest checking parts diagrams for comparison with European models on jp carparts.com but the site seems to be having issues at the moment...

11. airwaves1112 New Member Getting Started

Thanks for all the great advice, I love a good exploded view of car parts. Just have to match it up to one of the suggested models. Loving legend-ary's eye for detail!!

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

:salute: It even has the same instrument cluster / steering wheel as the Jazz/Fit/City if you notice

13. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

FirstHonda likes this.
  14. airwaves1112 New Member Getting Started

Amazing, that gives me some serious studying to do!! I saw the 4WD version online but normally the rear wheel mech runs in a raised tunnel through the vehicle which would ruin the boot?? There's a rare 7 seater version as well.

Should I start looking to compare Jazz parts 1st? Is there a 1.5 petrol engine out there?

BB Baboonface likes this.
  15. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Not sure the 1.5 made it over here, the other guys may be able to confirm this.
    Pretty sure all the petrol Jazz models have L series motors like the Spike, so they should be essentially similar. At a guess the differences will be the bore and stroke of the internals, but don't quote me on that!

As for the boot space vs 4WD thing, maybe comparing pictures of 2WD and 4WD vehicles for sale on Japanese sites like goo.net and Tradecarview will give you a better idea of potential differences.

16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

L15 went to USA as well as Malaysia/Indonesia region. EU only the L13 as far as I am aware.

17. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Many of the parts are available and are in common with the Jazz. I never had a problem with common service parts air/oil/cabin/brakes and so on. Just had a quick look for a front brake disk and it was used across 20 different models of Acura, Honda, and Rover. Only real problem would be struts, springs and new glass could be a major headache. There are Japanese auction sites you can get used/new parts as well. I use JAPANESE GENUINE OEM PARTS CATALOG|JP-CarParts.com or Japanese cars online catalogs for part numbers and then look for aftermarket or other Honda equivalents from yoyo parts or similar. Most parts stores won't be able to help from the books, but can get most stuff in if you approach them with a Mintex or other aftermarket part number.

I was chatting with someone on the StepWGN FB page about the same car yesterday, but if not you check the CVT it's the only problematic bit of the whole thing if it hasn't been maintained properly (use only Honda CVT fluid)! Walk away if it judders on starting from a standstill or if the fluid smells burnt. They use the first generation EPS which can take a bit of getting used to. Other than that they are good economical little vans. It would be great to have another Mobilio/Spike in the garage here hope it works out well for you.

FirstHonda and BB Baboonface like this.
  18. airwaves1112 New Member Getting Started

Every thing is pointing at me getting one on import, "jd1959" says "another Mobilio / Spike in the garage" does that mean some one already has one??

19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Yeah @jd1959 used to own an earlier Mobilio. The one before the Spike. If you look under his post you will see it listed as 'Previously owned' or just click this: 2004 Mobilio

20. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Twas me that owned the 04 one :Wave:. The Spike was a Mobilio with extras, a good few of the Jap Hondas do the same, Mobilio-Mobilio Almas-Mobilio Spike, Freed -Freed Spike, StepWGN -StepWGN Spada etc, etc, etc, Same base model but might have for example a refrigerated compartment, wood trim, nicer door panels, different body kit options slightly different headlights/grill and different paint options. Production wise Mobilio 2001-2008 had engine options of a l15a iDSI or a L15a VTEC, Spike 2002-2008 offered only the l15a VTEC, I think there was a facelift in there somewhere, but didn't effect any of the drive train to the best of my memory. I'm happy to be corrected but I think the 02-03 Mobilio didn't have the 7-speed option but was the same SWRA CVT unit without the extra software for the pulley ratio presets.

Same base engine was used in lots of different cars in a 1.2,1.3,1.5L versions at the time and has evolved into the new L15b7 (new turbocharged engine in the '16 Civic) a good write up The Truly Amazing Honda Fit/Jazz on the design ideas if your interested.