Engine & Gearbox Potential clutch problem?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Paul Young, Wednesday 10th Dec, 2014.

1. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    I notice with my 2005 FR-V petrol (102,000+ miles) that sometimes at 2nd or 3rd gear the rev played up and down (around 2k rev). This doesn't always happen. On couple occassions, I could smell a burning smell from outside front of car. Is this the first sign of a clutch replacement? I had a clutch change changed about two and half years ago.

2. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Sounds look a clutch. Wait for the big guns opinion.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Rev played up and down?

Do you mean when you try to accelerate, instead of accelerating it actually just revs the car? Is it worse when you are trying to accelerate up a hill? What happens if you say have the car in 3rd or 4th and just put yr foot down as hard as you can. Does it just rev the car then or does it increase speed without any issues? A burning clutch is a very distinct smell.... smells almost electrical burning type of smell.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That does sound like a classic slipping clutch, as @Nighthawk says the smell of a burning clutch is quite unique and easy to identify.

When your clutch was replaced just 2 years ago, what was the replacement? What kind of mileage have you done since then? You should get at least 100k from a clutch on a Honda when using OEM equipment, I believe Exedy supplies the stock clutch for the R-Series engines.

5. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    Just took the car to try out the 3rd and 4th gear - it did rev so high without noticable increase in speed. Then I lost quite a bit of power and had to drive home slowly. Same sympton as last time - loss of power. Replacement two half years ago must be about 25-30,000 miles ago which must be drab! Car on my driveway. Cannot risk driving elsewhere.

6. Nighthawk Guest

Sounds like the clutch to me then however its unusual for it to fail after such a short distance but it depends on your driving style. Do you ride your clutch at all? As in, keep it at its biting point whilst sitting in traffic?

Was it changed at a dealership last time using original parts?

7. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    I tend to put my gear in neutral sitting in traffic, trying not to use the clutch at all. Basically anything to prolong its life. The replacement was made by a mobile garage (at his garage) - he picked my car up and returned it a day later. I suspected the garage used aftermarket brand but I never knew the brand.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That would explain it, he's probably used a cheap eBay clutch kit. I would consider using genuine parts this time as I guarantee it will last for many years (unless there's some other unknown underlying issue), you may find Honda themselves too expensive for the work, but they do the best job every time.

9. Nighthawk Guest

That was kind of where I was heading really - aftermarket brand. An OEM wouldn't go that quickly, I have burnt out original clutches on new cars before, but thats a totally different story and was purely down to the manner they are driven in. :Whistle:

At least a petrol clutch doesnt cost as much as a diesel one. Once you become a club member, you will be eligible for our club discount through our sponser, HH and will be able to get an OEM clutch for a decent price

10. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    There is a local garage chain that replace clutches, a 10-minute drive from my house. It provides a 2-year guarantee, regardless of mileage covered. Would you prefer me to go to a Honda dealer?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's more about what you think is right @Paul Young, if the price is a concern I would ask your local garage if they would be happy with you supplying the genuine clutch kit and still honour the guarantee.

12. Nighthawk Guest

As DD says above mate, its not about what we prefer, its all down to you and what you prefer. Check with your clutch garage and see what brand they use, make sure it is a good one. LUK is a decent brand.

13. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    Any other reputable brand apart from LUK? In case this garage fires me different brands on offer.

14. Nighthawk Guest

Honestly, not sure of others, I have always used LUK in the past when not going OEM and the only OEM clutch I have used is in my Accord. You should be able to specify that you want a LUK clutch installed being the customer and all, they supply OEM for a lot of manufacturers anyway. I don't know if they supply OEM for Honda though. @DeviateDefiant, @SpeedyGee or @Ichiban would be able to confirm that further.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

LUK tend to make parts for diesel Hondas @Nighthawk, the petrols tend to be Exedy - I personally would only go for Exedy or Daiken, and stay away from manufacturers such as Valeo or Blueprint.

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. Paul Young Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    Cheers guy! I will phone the garage and enquire.

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. Nighthawk Guest

Let us know how you get on

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would prefer Daiken over Exedy any day when I used to work for Suzuki Daiken were the chosen ones and they proved to take a lot of abuse and hold up really well. The Exedy one are good but on repeated heavy use they judder a lot,especially when setting off in first gear.

Nighthawk likes this.
  19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The only issue is that Daiken don't make clutch kits for many Honda models, I don't know if the R18 has a compatible kit.

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not if you got them directly from Japan, their grey market part or aftermarket parts scene is same as OEM quality.,