Pre-Purchase Potential new legend owner....

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Silverdevill, Wednesday 19th Nov, 2014.

1. Silverdevill New Member Getting Started

Hi guys..... not been a member on here long but i'm really pleased to find such a community catering for so many different kinds of hondas!. I've had my fair share of tegs, CTR's, Accords etc in the past and now i'm looking to go for the big one!, the legend. So, looking around on here there seems to be a fair few owners reporting rattles, squeaks and niggly problems with the KB1 which i'm quite surprised at, not that any car is perfect (my current IS250 auto is no exception!). I suppose i'm looking for a bit of reassurance from current owners that the legend isn't going to be a huge let down after wanting one for ages, every honda i've had in the past has been pretty much bombproof and i'm hoping the legend will be no different, i understand it's a massively complex car and running costs will be fairly high, i just don't want it to squeak, rattle etc.... do they all do that at some point in their life? I had a saab that i could'nt wait to get rid of because of rattles etc..... it was like it had been assembled by a group of 5 year olds on their lunch break!. A bit of guidance on what to look out for would be great... thanks guys/ladies.

2. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Silverdevill. Had mine a year & 3 months now & at 34k miles on the clock no rattles or squeaks. Only problem so far (documented on this forum) is the alarm & that was just down to the battery. I love the car & wouldn't change it. Some owners (including me) find the ride a little harsh over poor surfaces. So watch out for that. Get one from a Honda dealer with warranty & service stamps & I think they do a 30 day exchange policy if you feel you’ve made a mistake. Not money back though mind you, just opportunity to swap to another car.

3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Legend is amazing and I would love to own one some day.

4. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi, in my honest opinion you will not regret it got a merc e class and the honda legend and I enjoy driving the legend more. I have no problems with rattles or harsh ride I have both the stock 17" and also the stock 18's" and both do a great job without any major draw backs.
    I have seen other threads on legend owners complaining about ride quality and I am baffled because I have no such problems for the money you can buy a good one for, I think its a great bargain even though the fuels costs are high I think it's it worth it , keeping that in mind with fuels costs I would advise to negotiate a good price to get one to offset the fuel costs.
    Although the interior is starting to look a little dated the technology is way ahead of it's time and it is very reliable; at the moment the missus and myself are looking around to change one of the cars and its difficult to decide whether to part ex the merc e or the legend I prefer the legend but my wife likes the merc lol , we are at the cross roads where we are looking at either a mercedes s class or a lexus Ls 460 or 600h if I was going to part ex the legend I know for sure I will miss it.
    I know this is nothing to do with what you asked but when I took my legend to honda to look at what they have to offer nothing in their line up took my fancy or come close to the legend in terms of quality this is from my own personal stand point hence I went to Lexus and Mercedes dealerships hope this gives you the idea of how high I regards the Legend.

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @Silverdevill - firstly, Welcome to Honda Karma and thank you for your kind comments :welcome:

I don't have a legend, would love to but my bank manager and I can never agree on my bank balance. As with most cars, it is going to depend on how it is looked after, my car is now 8 years old and it doesnt have a single squeak or rattle (fixed them as and when they have appeared - 3 very very minor ones in total so far which isnt bad). Found a good car, pay that bit extra and she will be just as bullet proof as the other Hondas you have owned.

Incidentally, put your previous cars in our club garage - they will then show in your signature field.

We look forward to seeing and hearing more about your search for your Legend.

6. dandoon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Silverdevill,
    I've had my Legend for over 4 years now. It was 2 years old when I got it and it suffered from various rattles and creaks - sunroof seal / passenger door seals / rear sun blind / passenger seat belt pillar adjuster / not-an-ashtray surround / instrument panel cowling.
    All I've done is clean all the hard plastic areas regularly with Einszett Cockpit Premium spray cleaner and treated all rubber seals with Einszett Gummi Pflege (rubber conditioner) - it took a while, but eventually all creaks vanished. Only regular maintenance now is the sunroof rubber seals which need Gummi Pflege applied quite often to stop them creaking.
    Not sure what the cleaner has done to the creaking plastics - if anything - but the noises have certainly stopped.
    Anyway, the cabin is now a joy to travel in - very quiet and relaxing. It may be that these sorts of creaks and rattles would go unnoticed in vehicles with noisier cabins.
    The Legend may be an acquired taste that may not suit some, but I'm struggling to think of a suitable replacement vehicle that will fill its boots when this one reaches its end.
    But the way this thing's built, I'll probably pop my clogs before it does - it's a tank.
    As long as you're prepared for the high fuel and tax costs, and the expensive spare parts - the car is a joy to live with. But prepare to be on first name terms with your local petrol station staff!
    It can be as sedate and relaxing as you want, but can go like a bat out of hell round the bends if you ask it. Doubt you'd be disappointed if you opted for one.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just wondering but could the legend be converted to lpg?

8. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had mine 4.5 years and over 100k miles never a rattle or squeak. Feels special every time I get in it. Go for an example with ACC/LKAS especially if you do a lot of motorway miles. Getting 27 MPG so by now an lpg conversion might well have made sense. If you fancy lpg then there are examples already converted that appear in auto trader every now and then.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If it can be done, I'm sure @SpeedyGee could do it.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Would the rather sexy and minimalist engine bay present any problems?

IMG_5241.JPG

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It can be done, a few forum members have converted Legends.

You can definitely maintain the OEM look of the engine bay by carefully locating LPG components.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Are there any additional challenges with doing a big 3.5 V6?

13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is exactly the type of project Honda need to launch - Legend Duel Fuel just to show their engineering prowess.

The good old Honda of old we all love and miss would've done it!

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nothing as bad as this big boy Standalone Projects - Accord Tourer 2.4 LPG conversion by Speedy | Page 2 400BHP, V8 LOL

The trick is to match the components to the engine, so reducer needs to handle more than the output of the engine. Quality injectors that can handle the HP/cylinder.

Other that its just a whole load more work than a normal 4 cylinder, double wiring, double the piping etc

Finding place to put components can be tricky in these tight packed engine bays.

15. Silverdevill New Member Getting Started

Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement with the legend, really appreciated. My search for one will more than likely start straight after xmas but for now i thought i'd post up a bit of my 'Honda history'...... they are many and varied and i;ve loved every one of them for different reasons. you can see how my tastes have matured over the years, haha... 98spec jdm. teg. DC5. nhb dc5. dc5 engine bay. FN2. CW FN2. ACCORD. enjoy!.
    - - - Updated - - -
    And this is what i'm currently driving....

lex.

lex2.

lex3.

lex1.

Attached Files:

John Dickson likes this.
  16. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    They look stunning - add them seperately into the club garage, they will then appear in your signature

17. Silverdevill New Member Getting Started

And this is what i'm currently driving....

lex.

lex2.

lex3.

lex1.

John Dickson likes this.