Pre-Purchase Potential new owner..

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by zero, Monday 26th Oct, 2015.

1. zero New Member Getting Started

England Chris Derby
    Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my ford focus estate (167000 miles on, its done well). Looking at 4x4s and I've test driven a 2006 executive model CR-V. Really liked pretty much everything about it! I was hoping you guys could give me some insights/advice.

My commute is 90% motorway, 60 miles of it, and some countryside at either end. I've got a fair bit of money to spend potentially. I like the equipment, the height and the better than average chances in the snow. I lurve the automatic as well. I'll not be doing offroading (not on purpose) but I do need to get into work reliably whatever the weather (I work at a hospital and not getting there isn't really an option)

So questions..

• I've heard that the front end handling isn't great in the wet, is this true? are reviewers driving it like a hatchback? (expecting too much and generally overdoing it) is this a tyre choice thing?

• Any common faults to look out for?

• Can the satnav be swapped out for a standard double din? (really showing its age)

• The one I saw was £5500 with 85000 miles on.. does this seem to be an ok price? (From a dealership) i've seen later models but the price seems to jump up, allot! is there anything major service wise around this mile mark?

• What are the costs like compared to something like a ford focus? mpg wise for my commute it looks fairly equal according to numbers, my mechanic reckons a service is similar.. how about parts?

• What's a typical life expectancy? my focus is surprisingly ok for its millage, will the honda go for this many miles without major problems? (I know, how long is a piece of string, but assuming its been reasonably well looked after is 200k+ feasible?)

Thats a few for starters! Any other advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

155695 likes this.
  2. CaptainSlog Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Halstead
    I'm thinking of getting a 2014 diesel auto to replace my Disco 4 - mainly to reduce outgoings on fuel, road tax and maintenance/repair costs - so awaiting replies eagerly :dribble:

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello and Welcome to HK Chris & Alan.
    There are plenty of very knowledgeable CR-V owners here who can answer your questions once they wake up :Grin:

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @zero :welcome:

If you are looking at a 2006, I assume it is a petrol?

Petrol Hondas generally can go on forever if well maintained, but as with most cars regular maintenance with the correct oil and OEM filters etc. is essential.

If you are looking at a diesel (I-CTDI) then there are more issues if the car hasn't been well maintained.

Have a browse around - there are plenty of threads on most subjects - I've enclosed links to a couple. Last thing I would say is that I believe the petrol/auto at this age isn't the most economical.

CR-V auto - bad or good (Pre-Purchase - )

Latest map update for 2006 sat nav CR-V (ICE & HFT - )

CaptainSlog likes this.
  5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    3rd Generation CR-V is a very comfortable and capable suv. Mine took on the snow and ICE and won. Running costs are fine, plenty of 3rd party parts available also if running in a budget.

Sat Nav is dated and discs expensive but sound quality excellent and using a CF card with adapter allows quick access to your music library. I think the unit can be replaced, it's a funny shape but I've seen custom CR-V ones on eBay. Not sure how reliable or good they are.

CR-V drives like a regular car but has a nice height and good handling for an suv.

If getting a diesel listen out for turbo flutter, the transmissions do make a slight whine but if it does it whilst stationary and revving then it could be the turbo. Also check the clutch if you end up going manual.

Have a look at my garage page which shows all the issues I had but I think I was a little unlucky. Fortunately Honda took care of almost all of it and the car is now perfect and with my dad for many, many years of happy driving.

Last edited: Tuesday 27th Oct, 2015
    CaptainSlog likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Welcome to you as well @CaptainSlog :welcome:

The 4th generation CR-V is a fine thing. If you are considering the latest I-DTEC diesel / auto you may want to have a look at the thread below and a couple of others that may be useful, as economy looks like it can be a bit variable. If you aren't doing the miles, the 2.0 litre petrol comes a) cheaper b) without any off the potential diesel DPF issues and c) with 40+MPG perfectly achievable.

Fuel economy (Fuel Efficiency - )

Your CR-V Likes & Dislikes (& Share Your Tips/Tricks!) (Service & Maintenance - )

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Here's my log that I kept for the 3rd Generation. A lot of it was either regular servicing or fault finding because of the turbo issue. The clutch and DMF were actually fine and were misdiagnosed by Honda. The pedal box thing is a common issue.

It's also worth bearing in mind I'm a bit anal about noises when it comes to cars and tend to pick up on small noises that others may ignore and end up zoning in on them! lol My theory being if you catch it early you could prevent other components becoming damaged through association.

The turbo was badly sooted apparently and required reconditioning. I would hesistate a guess that it was either a lack of oil changes (or crap oil) or/and a lot of local runs causing the build up. I think I was pretty unlucky here but the car has been faultless since May 2015.

Can't comment on the 4th Generation CR-V although the interior does seem more luxurious. There was some talk of AWD issues, I personally prefer the 3rd Generation's dual pump system because it's physics which makes it work rather than a computer trying to work it out. But I'm sure the 4th Generation is more than capable and it was just a software update that was required, can't remember though.

Just as a quick note, although there were a few issues with Honda they always took the car in without arguement and eventually sorted it. You can see that they spent a small fortune on it as almost all the work done by Honda was done under warranty. Pretty damn good for a 7 year old used car warranty!

PERIODMILEAGETYPEACTIONCOMMENTS
    25 AUG 201472,175INFOPURCHASED CAR1 YEAR WARRANTY AT A COST OF £258.00
    AUGUST 201472,275SERVICEENGINE OIL REPLACED MOBIL 1 5W30 C3
    SERVICEOIL FILTER REPLACED
    SERVICEPOLLEN FILTER REPLACED
    SERVICEAIR FILTER REPLACED
    SERVICEBRAKE FLUID REPLACEDBY PHOENIX HONDA
    SERVICEBRAKE SYSYEM BLEDBY PHOENIX HONDA
    SERVICECLUTCH FLUID REPLACEDBY PHOENIX HONDA
    SERVICEFUEL FILTER REPLACEDBY PHOENIX HONDA
    SERVICEREAR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID REPLACED
    SERVICETRAMISSION FLUID REPLACED
    SERVICEFUEL SYSTEM TREATED
    SERVICE4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT DONE
    SERVICEWHEELS BALANCED
    SERVICEHYDRAULIC LIFTERS TREATED
    SERVICEX4 DUNLOP TYRES FITTEDBY PHOENIX HONDA
    REPAIRNEW CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDERBY PHOENIX HONDA
    REPAIRNEW CLUTCH PEDAL BOXBY PHOENIX HONDA
    REPAIRNEW GEAR STICK UNITBY PHOENIX HONDA
    REPAIRNEW PARKING SENSOR N/S/FBY PHOENIX HONDA
    REPAIRLEATHER GEAR GAITER REPLACED
    REPAIRREAR BOOT CLOSE POSITION ADJUSTED
    SERVICEEGR VALVE CLEANED
    SEPTEMBER 201473,000SERVICE4 WHEEL GEOMETRY ALIGNED
    OCTOBER 201474,000REPAIRAIR CON PUMP CLUTCH REPLACEDBY PHOENIX HONDA
    NOVEMBER 201475,500REPAIRCLUTCH REPLACEDBY PHOENIX HONDA
    REPAIRDUAL MASS FLYWHEEL REPLACEDBY PHOENIX HONDA
    DECEMBER 201476,500REPAIRREAR DROP LINKS REPLACED
    REPAIRREAR ANTI ROLL BAR BUSHES REPLACED
    JANUARY 201577,000REPAIRREAR WINDSCREEN REPLACED
    REPAIRREAR RETRACTABLE PARCEL SHELF REPLACEDOEM HONDA PART (DUE TO LADDER FALLING ON IT)
    REPAIRSMALL REAR DENT REPAIREDBY DENT MASTER AT PHOENIX HONDA (DUE TO LADDER FALLING ON IT)
    FEBRUARY 201577,700INFOCURRENT MILEAGE
    FEBRUARY 20155,425INFOMILEAGE SINCE LAST SERVICE
    FEBRUARY 201578,337INFOMOT - PASSED WITH NO FAULTS. NEXT DUE 01/03/16BY PHOENIX HONDA
    MARCH 201579,101SERVICEENGINE OIL REPLACED CASTROL EDGE 0W30 C3
    SERVICEOIL FILTER REPLACED
    SERVICEPOLLEN FILTER REPLACED
    SERVICEAIR FILTER REPLACED
    SERVICEWINDSCREEN WIPERS REPLACED (MICHELIN)
    APRIL 201580,497REPAIRAIR CON RELAY REPLACEDBY PHOENIX HONDA
    APRIL 201580,497SERVICEAIR CON REGASSED + ANTI-BACTERIA BOMBBY PHOENIX HONDA
    APRIL 201580,523INFONEW VACUUM CHAMBER FITTEDOLD ONE WASN'T FAULTY - PART OF TURBO NOISE FAULT FINDING
    APRIL 201580,600SERVICEFRONT TYRES BALANCED
    MAY 201580,724INFONEW VACUUM SOLENOID VALVE FITTEDOLD ONE WASN'T FAULTY - PART OF TURBO NOISE FAULT FINDING
    MAY 201581,007SERVICE4 WHEEL GEOMETRY ALIGNED
    MAY 201581,100SERVICETURBOCHARGER FULL SERVICE & RECONDITIONBY PHOENIX HONDA
    MAY 201581,214SERVICENEW FRONT BRAKE PADS FITTED
    MAY 201581,300REPAIRNEW FRONT SHOCK DUST COVERS FITTED
    MAY 201581,300REPAIRFRONT DROP LINKS REPLACED

8. zero New Member Getting Started

England Chris Derby
    Hi again all, many thanks for the welcomes and helpful info!

It'd looking pretty positive right now, if its still at the dealers there's a good chance I'll have it :Grin:

Its a petrol engine btw, 2litre. (I'd have had either tbh)

All being well I'll update with pics!

9. CaptainSlog Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Off to test drive a 2014 2.2 diesel auto this morning - not exactly the best weather for it though! Will report back. Thanks for the replies!

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I would have thought heavy rain was perfect to test an SUV?! :depressed:

:goodluck:

steve4536 and Zebster like this.
  11. CaptainSlog Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rain eased off as I arrived at the dealers. First we looked at the differences in spec & trim between the EX & the SE-T. Generally impressed with room & finish etc. Then test drove the EX on 18" wheels : performance was fine and steering/handling very car-like but was very disappointed by the NVH levels. As this is the long journey vehicle, I'm not sure I would want to do 3 hours at a stretch. So we then tried the SE-T on 17" wheels which was an improvement but still marginal. The real problem is that I can't see or feel the savings in MPG and other costs when I'm driving so it's not really a fair comparison with the Disco. Will have a good think!

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I have the petrol rather than the diesel, but that does surprise me.

I find the CR-V very quiet and smooth. Everybody is different though, with different tolerances and expectations. Why not drive a petrol for comparison?

Have a look at this review of the 2.2 I-DTEC. They even comment what a good long distance cruiser it is due to how quiet and smooth it is...

13. CaptainSlog Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The engine noise was acceptable - it was the road noise, wind and transmission of surface variations that was more problematic.

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I'm amazed, but that is the point of a test drive - better to trust your own view than the reviews, as you've got to live with it!

Everybody who has been in mine has commented on how quiet it is. One friend even bought one the same because of it.

CaptainSlog likes this.
  15. CaptainSlog Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes we have two friends with CR-Vs who are very happy with them - wouldn't have anything else - but I had not been in one before today.

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Sure I read somewhere that about 25% of people buy a car without a test drive. This experience shows how mad that is!!

If you haven't already, why not have a look at the Mazda CX-5 for comparison.

17. zero New Member Getting Started

England Chris Derby
    Deposited deposit, new car being picked up friday :Grin:

FirstHonda and legend-ary like this.
  18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Congrats Chris :Thumbup:

Look forward to seeing it when you get it.

19. CaptainSlog Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As part of my re-think, I'm wondering if I was put off in part by the idea of having to part with the Disco AND about £5k to put me in the CR-V? So what difference (other than mileage and age obviously) if I were to look at CR-Vs for around £18-20K which would avoid any substantial cost to change? It looks like a 2012 SR or EX would come in at about that sticker price - what would I 'lose' by comparison to a 2014MY please? TIA

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@CaptainSlog - The 4th Generation was launched in 2012, and revised earlier this year.

If you look at my car in the garage it is the 2012-2014 MY.

The facelift car dropped the 2.2 Diesel engine, and replaced it with the 1.6 I-DTEC, along with a new 9 speed auto gearbox.

Other than that, most of the changes were cosmetic. There is a lot more chrome on the newer version, and it comes with the Honda 'Connect' system rather than the older satnav unit.

I specifically bought my CR-V as a 'run out' on a deal as I think did @Zoot

Personally I think the savings to be made by having the 'old' model are well worth it. And if you drove a 2.2 you would have been driving the old rather than the 2015MY (if that makes sense!).

Zoot likes this.