Accord Powder coating/wheel refurbishment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave, Sunday 2nd Aug, 2015.

1. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My Pentas are horrendous now and they let the car down big time so hoping to get them shot blasted and powder coated. Mine have got that bad with bubbling paint that it's actually coming off the wheels now.

Anyone else had this done and how are they holding up?

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My '07s rims were shot blasted, filled/sanded smooth, primed, base coated and then clear-coated. They look fantastic and are holding up really well, aside from a few scuffs which I can't blame the paint for :Laughing:

They were basically treated like bodywork, which came out really well and makes them very easy to maintain.

When they were first done:

49311_IMG_20140705_203044. 49312_IMG_20140705_203100.

After going on:

49363_IMG_20140707_172229.

Over a year later:

86535_accord-cl9-rear-brakes. 86536_accord-cl9-front-brakes.

I'm just now about to swap to some aftermarket rims and these will be going on the ATR.

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They look smart mate hope mine come out like that!

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I have the exact same problem with wheels in an awful state... The car would look great if it wasn't for the wheels!

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the (far) West Midlands that they've used? And what might be a ballpark cost for 5?

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Powdercoating weakens the wheel, I would just use standard method. I got my wheels refurbed recently and the bodyshop/garage did an excellent job, it was cleaned, rubbed down, filler-ed, primed, painted and laquered. Which reminds me I forgot to do a writeup and review of the job!

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've heard about it weakening the wheel but so many people still do it hopefully Honda will have over engineered the wheels lol. Cars just been dropped off now so will post pics when I get it back.

Here's what they look like now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438603097.860786. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438603114.005509.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I had mine powder coated about 4 years ago, they seem to be all fine and only have the expected deterioration on them.

Dave likes this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    How does powder coating weaken the wheel?

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It's the process used, sandblasting them creates micro cracks in the wheel, then they are put in the oven and baked at high temps which weakens the alloys. So say in the event of an accident your alloys could snap and collapse as they have become more brittle, well thats what the doomsdayers will say. :Tongue:

Zebster likes this.
  10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    @Dave - the EP3 wheels I put on my EV1 looked like yours, with a lot of paint bubbles, but no major curbing damage. I took mine to Oxford Performance Autos, and they sand blasted them and them powder coated them in Anthracite colour (I think)

These are them before (sorry for bad pictures - taken from the eBay ad I bought them from). One of them had some obvious curbing damage, but that is all gone now.

This shows them after
    $_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57.JPG
    It cost me £70 per wheel, including balancing the wheels when complete. I think that's a reasonable price for the quality of work, and I absolutely love my wheels as they are now.

11. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They look in a lot better condition than mine do! Mine are getting done in Anthracite the guy showed me some BMW wheels he'd just done and they looked good.

RogerH69 likes this.
  12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I think you'll like the result. They should look good on your car

13. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah fingers crossed mate she's nowhere near a minter with the mileage but the wheels let her down so much.

14. Perosteck Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jared Gainsborough
    Similar to my car, no oil painting but wheels really let it down, looking to get a refurb in Anthracite aswell, just hunting around prices at the moment :Smile:

15. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm paying £40 a wheel and that includes tyres off and back on and balancing. If they look as good as the ones he showed me I'll be happy.

16. Perosteck Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jared Gainsborough
    Blimey thats cheap, if its a decent job can you give me his details and I will book myself in :Smile:

17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

City powder coating in Birmingham. I paid £30 a wheel on the wife's car and they did a great job. It's £20 if theres no tyres need .

Zebster likes this.
  18. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    that is crazy cheap. . . I was quoted 380 quid to refurb my 18s. . which is why I am just going to do them myself.

19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Is that with refurbishment as well? I paid £70 per wheel for full refurb (acid dip and sand blast I think) plus sdand blast.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    They must be skipping some steps to be doing them at the price.

RogerH69 likes this.