General Power Magic Pro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phil1978, Tuesday 1st Apr, 2014.

1. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I've had my dash cam hard wired in for a while now, just used for recording while driving, but after nearly losing a mirror while parked the other day I'd like to set it to record while parked too, so can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative to the power magic pro which is about £50, it's a bit much for me at the moment.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Phil which ever system you go for may want to invest in a trickle charger bud as the camera recording will be draining the battery and the alternator will not be able to keep up.

You don't want to find yourself with all the footage in the world but no juice to crank the car.

Phil1978 likes this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Should be fine as the Power Magic Pro protects the battery, shuts off at 11.8V. Camera draws less than 1A and I leave mine on all the time including overnight and hasn't cut off yet. I've also got another device running similar power through it at the same time.

I picked up a genuine one from Amazon for about £35, don't use an unbranded one as I tested one out and it regularly failed. You don't want to end up with a flat battery! Lol

Ichiban likes this.
  4. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I was worried someone would say that, they're £42 now, it'll just have to wait a month.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry for thread hijack but thought might as well ask here instead of starting new thread.
    Can some of you lads that already have camera installed @Phil1978 ,@Doc ,@ArcticFire tell me what other bits except camera and Power Magic Pro will i need to do a nice install like you did.
    Starting to get a bits together and want to get all i need before i do it.
    Also what camera can you recommend ideally under £100.
    Thanks in advance

Nels likes this.
  6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm also looking to invest in a good dash cam eventually, any tips and tricks welcomed. Though the guides are pretty thorough!

7. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    In my current setup all I have fitted apart from the camera is one of these* wired in to the fusebox using one of these, some cable ties, as for the camera mine is the Blackvue 380HD and was over the £100 mark so I can't really help, I'm sure one of the other lads can help with the camera.

* I didn't pay that though WTF *

AccordCU2 likes this.
  8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm wondering if Blackvue are clamping down on the 3rd party sales?

Best camera for under £100 has to be the Mini 0801. It's pucker HD with a high bitrate and you can get it without GPS for £89.99 or with GPS for £109.99 but to be honest I don't use the GPS because the windshield black dotted thingy stops the signal and also the GPS will use a fair bit of power. I don't really need it anyway. No parking mode with this camera, I just leave it rolling. I've heard parking modes can be over sensitive anyway and pretty much always record! lol

http://www.carcamerachoices.co.uk/black_bullet_camera.html#sthash.gRvtJGsY.dpbs

Avoid the cheaper cameras, they may be HD but the bitrates are so bad it will give you terrible video quality.

Doc and I have both done guides, but all you need is:

• Camera
    • SD Card (preferably 32GB)
    • Power Magic Pro
    • x2 Add-a-circuits (mind you get regular or mini blade types - check your fuses!)
    • Multimeter (unless you know for sure which circuits to tap into - but it's still handy for checking connections before installing and saving a headache later on!)
    • Pliers for crimping (or a crimping tool)
    • Some basic tools such as sockets (for removing the grounding bolt or if you want to remove the roof lining but you can probably just tuck it in where it meets the windshield seal and save about 10-15 minutes hassle)

It's worth paying the extra few quid for the genuine Power Magic Pro.

AccordCU2, Nels and DeviateDefiant like this.
  9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the info.
    I would buy more expensive camera but just bought 4 new tyres budget is a bit tight.
    Will do some more research and buy best one I can.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for clearing that up Graham but Honda cars do like the magic number 12.4 Volts to be presented for a good crank. so bear that in mind too when the starter is laboring..

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Add me to the list too many scam artist out there need some sort of protection.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Best advice when looking for a camera is to ignore manufacturers videos as they will always be in the best conditions and look at user videos, especially at night. Look out for user reported problems such as the latest Blackvue struggling with trees because of lower bit rates so it can wirelessly transmit to smart phone. Dual camera setups often have lower resolution to second camera etc

AccordCU2 likes this.
  13. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    A quick heads-up to Blackvue owners, I thought I'd posted this a while ago but after a search I must have forgotten, here's a post from another forum I am on.

check the plugs on your blackvue. Ensure the plastic cylinder piece inside the plug end is secure - This keeps the middle bit (the power) from touching the outside (the earth) - This piece fell out of mine and caused a mini meltdown culminating in the ultimate blowing of fuse 10 (probably a good thing it did....) and a re-wiring of the blackvue needed. Just check your plug is intact before plugging in! emoticon-0148-yes.

There were also pics of his melted loom :Aghast:

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    First I've heard of that but cheers for the heads up about the Blackvue. Did he contact them to see what they have to say about it? Good reason to use add-a-circuits and keep your main fuses safe.

What I like about the Mini 0801 is that it uses a small docking station which is powered via a mini USB cable so it's pretty routine stuff. The camera can simply be slid out of the docking station and stored for safety without have to remove cables etc.

Oh, top tip, check your add-a-circuits with a multimeter and also test with the device before installing because I had an add-a-circuit which was faulty on arrival.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I take it a Honda will still start though at 11.8V? This is just the protection state though where it shuts down so the battery will almost always be a much higher voltage. There's also a 12V cut off which you can select to be extra safe :Smile:

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I should have been more specific I was referring to the Minimum State Of Charge (SOC) which should be 12.4 anything below that is practically inducing excessive sulphation on the battery cells and a trickle charger will remove that sulphation and bring the battery to a higher charge conditions.

A car will start at 11.8 but you are damaging the battery as it always being left at a undercharge state and the battery will deteriorate faster and the alternator is NOT designed to bring batteries to ful charge condition , if you have shorter trips this will become a issue.

This is a guide for Honda to measure battery SOC via the midtronic testers. as you can see 12.4 is 60% of the total percentage of a good charge. 11.8 is practically a dead battery

SOC Chart.PNG

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Provides an excuse to go out and have a blast! :Devil:

18. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Is there not some voltage drop to be expected between the battery and starter motor aswell. Voltage will drop across connections, switches, fuses, resistance etc so although you could read full battery voltage between battery and starter you won't see its true reading until its cranked and the current flows.

According to this site, even upto 0.9v is considered acceptable, so if you are starting off at 11.8 you could find yourself in a no start situation.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/bad_starter_test/starter_oncar_tests_3.php

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I doubt they would be able to keep continuing to sell the units if they were preventing people from starting their cars. It may be a better idea to contact Blackvue about it as I'm not an electronics expert! lol

AndyB1976 likes this.
  20. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I am probably just erring on the side of caution, maybe an old battery, bit of corrosion in the starter wiring.