Suspension, Steering and Brakes Power steering fluid change

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by exec, Friday 24th Apr, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Planning on changing my PSF as it is looking rather black, so I have bought some PSF and look up the manual on how to change it.

But confused over a few things.

1) Manual says max fluid for system is 1.1l, i've only bought 1litre bottle, but I've seen in some videos people using loads of fluid, presumably to flush the system, is this necessary and will just the one bottle be enough?

2) On the manual it says to drain the fluid all out, but I'm worried as this will run the system dry it may damage the ps pump, is it safe to do this or should I keep topping the system out until it starts bleeding out new clean fluid?

Cheers for any help

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited: Friday 24th Apr, 2015
  3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Found this as well.
    It's for the 7th Generation though
    Power Steering Fluid Flush

Not sure why is it in 8th Generation section.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Likewise - sorted now, in the correct section

AccordCU2 likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Cheers for the links, looks like I need to buy another bottle :no:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    exec likes this.
  7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    If the system isn't presenting any problem, just siphon out the fluid and fill, run the car with a few turns of the wheel and repeat till most of the 1L bottle was used it brought the color back to almost clear. Very much like Speedy and Ichiban except in my case using a 150ml syringe (what was handy), a turkey baster out of the pound shop would work just as well. It won't change out 100% of the fluid but it renews most of it.
    '

exec likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So I changed my PSF today and used the "suck out fluid, pour new in and gradually turn old to new method".

It didn't work very well, the old fluid was like coke, so gradually changing it, I used one and a half bottles, and it changed to a golden syrup colour, rather than that light apple juice colour the new fluid is. I suspect another bottle flush would have done the job but I only had two bottles of PSF, so stopped before I ran out.

Next time I will just use the 'proper' method of getting it all out via the return hose and properly draining the system and top it all back up.

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I was asked this question a few days back about @jayok review of a PAS fluid flush Power Steering Fluid Flush Now it not ideal to do a flush on a system with engine running as you will cause damage no matter what and how quickly you run it for.

You won't do a engine oil change with the engine running will ya, and we all know why we don't do that.

exec likes this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    True and that was one of my worries as my car is very old the PAS pump won't exactly be in a top notch condition. But from what I read when I did some research the PAS pump is supposed to be very strong and resilient and won't break due to running with no fluid for less than a minute, not sure how true that is.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Exactly mate you going to brave and test it and then go around breakers yard finding the steeing pump or pinion you broke, why do something when the danger of shooting yourself in the foot is so high?

exec likes this.
  12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    To save some time and less grease spill I guess :Tea: I mean how effective is the gradual process? Afterall you are mixing and contaminating fresh fluid with lots of the old fluid, I'm no chemist but wouldn't that effect the properties of the new fluid and dilute it?

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's effective enough to cure a problem. Some months back my car starting to whine when turning the steering wheel. It was a really heavily prominent whine on the slightest turn of the steering wheel.

When I checked the power steering fluid, with the engine on it was frothing up. So I flushed the power steering fluid using the gradual approach, hey presto problem resolved. The fluid is now much cleaner than it was and obviously clean enough to resolve the issue I was having.

I too would highly suggest you go the gradual approach.

exec likes this.
  14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I admitedly did the opposite to this method and ran the oil out of the system using the pump, it ran for less than 10 seconds before it was dry, completely. Granted I risked damaging the pump. Also I broke the return line off the power steering reservoir, so had to get a replacement. I would now advise on the gradual approach, it uses more, but you don't break things.

exec likes this.