Suspension, Steering and Brakes Power Steering Fluid gradual flush.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Monday 6th May, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda do not specify a power steering fluid change, it is a sealed unit with no service schedule.

This is what new fluid versus 6 year old Power steering fluid looks like.Do you reckon this fluid should not be changed?:Unknown:

I didn't want to remove the power steering return pipe with the engine running to drain the entire system out ..it too risky and may damage the power steering pump.Using Honda genuine Power steering fluid for the flush, I will suck out the old fluid out of the reservoir every day for the next two weeks and see how the fluid colour changes.

photo (25).

7year old fluid verus new fluid.:Blink:
    photo (20).

photo (19).

ACC-CDI-2T and intruder like this.
  2. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    How the Honda dealer would undergo the power steering fluid change? What method they use, do you know CJ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The dealers won't do it as its not documented however there is a documented procedure how to do it if you were removing the rack.

You don't want to do a flush when the engine is running.

4. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Interesting.. So it means basically same fluid can be used for as long as car being used on this earth. Maybe despite the fluid changes its color over the years, but it doesnt change its characteristic? I mean, maybe your 7 year old fluid does the same job, what fresh new fluid will do? heh.. :Blink:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which car fluid in this world remains within serviceable limit for life ..to be honest I don't think there is any fluid which can last a life time does anyone know of any which can ?everything has a shelf life and and end life.

By changing it I may be preventing a breakdown in 5-6 year , it maybe prolong the life of the rack, seals and gaiters?

6. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah, can't argue to that, CJ. But then I don't understand Honda politics regarding this.. :Unknown:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Naah there is no Honda politics really they just don't want to get people draining the fluid and causing more damage to the rack.Making it idiot proof.

With an average car life span of 15 years the system should be able to work with old fluid I reckon after this you will see seals going.

8. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

So perhaps your method of refreshing fluid by sucking out and adding fresh one day by day will help a little? :Wink:

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What are you using to suck the fluid out CJ ?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This badboy, the PS Bootle has approx 180 ml of fluid to top level so it will take some time to clear out .
    photo (2).

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Where did you get that from mate ?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds