General Power Steering Fluid - To change or not to change

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skhell, Thursday 5th Jan, 2012.

1. skhell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

As the title indicates, I am looking for opinions/suggestions about changing the power steering fluid.

My car is from year 2000, and I suspect the power steering fluid is still the original stuff...
    I opened this thread to discuss if we should or not change the power steering fluid, and what method should be used. I have already made the same questions on other places, and there are lots of opinions, and the all seem to be "afraid" of changing the fluid and leaving air in the system and make some bad things happen.

Honda seems to say that the fluid is "life-time"..., but nothing last for-ever...

My fluid level is almost in the minimum level, so will have to top it up. But as I am working on it, I might as well replace the it...

Let the discussion begin :cool:

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

OK I'll make the opening bid...

...Honda say it doesn't need changing, and I had no power steering issues whatsoever with my 11 year old 6th Generation, so personally I wouldn't bother.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well I am going to throw a spanner in the works, I have purchased all Honda Accord workshop manuals (please don't ask for copies) and in all of the Accord's equipped with a hydraulic system there is no specified change interval.

However there are detailed guides listed in how to replace the power steering fluid, in case one has to be removed or fix a leaky rack. The older Accords did have serviceable parts like seals racks and pinion, modern hydraulic power steering as seen on the 7th Generation and above don’t have any serviceable parts on them.

Have a look at the Honda Customer Communication Book

look at the page where is describes the visual aid for the fluid based on that if you deem necessary to change it change it. The master technicians I have spoken to are scared of draining the system dry to then replenish the fluid. My take if you can justify 6 litres of PSF with a second pair of hands you could do a flush and rather than a full drain and then change.

The danger of the latter is the system runs dry the chance of damage is higher , especially on older racks. If that a risk worth taking?

Can see a DIY thread coming along..:cool:

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Clutch fluid isn't specified for change either...but I couldn't see that lasting the life of the car...

Honda workshop manuals have a procedure for changing the PSF...they say to remove the return pipe from the reservoir...they don't give any special health warnings in the instructions so I think it would be okay...and I can't see it would do any harm...

However clutch fluid is hygroscopic so will absorb water and deteriorate but PSF isn't/won't...so I can't figure why it's necessary...happy to be persuaded though...

5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure mysle fon whether you should change it or not.

I can remember reading a guide on another forum (not Honda) on a guy who used several litres of fluid and using a syringe he emptied the reservoir and then topped it up. He did this for several weeks and kept samples of each. Over the time the fluid slowly changed colour back to what was in the bottles. Very time consuming and there must be parts not changed but he was happy.

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the return pipe method is best. just keep adding the fluid while the old is pumpd out. the preasure is not too great as it is after the rack, its personal preferance realy but unless the fluid is looking a little worse for wear i wouldn't loose sleep over it.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will change the fluid on wifey dears car and see what happens how about that ! perhaps that may change some cast iron perceptions.:Wink:

8. skhell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I guess I might just remove the fluid in the reservoir and fill with new fluid, and do this a couple of times, just as Paul mentioned.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Skhell I picked up the other thread on your power steering leak , are you going down the route of power steering conditioner or a stop leak fluid.

10. skhell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure...
    I have read that this conditioners thicken the fluid and may harm the power steering pump... Have to research a bit more on that...

Any way, I think I will replace the fluid in a couple of weeks, since the fluid level is a bit low and very dirt. I think it won't make in bad...
    Still I will not run the system dry. Will remove the return hose, put it in a bottle, and then keep the system working, turning the steering wheel very slowly, and pouring new fluid in the reservoir to prevent it to run dry...

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How about diluting it with a lower concentration of stop leak?

12. skhell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's an idea...

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone going to attempt this over the summer period I may try a siphon off the power steering bottle and gradually introduce fresh fluid into the system until the fluid is clearer.

may need over 5 litres to do a flush anyone got thoughts?