Suspension, Steering and Brakes Power steering heavy

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by daz2208, Sunday 23rd Aug, 2015.

1. daz2208 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom darren wolverhampton
    hi I kinda posted this in introductions as well sorry just had the Civic sport 1.6 2003 and whilst stationary the steering is light and responsive when driving its tight and feels like I have to correct every turn my EPS light lights up on start up then goes out my first Civic so id like it to be a good experience one to enjoy but that said apart from steering being tight I kinda like my first Civic so need advice if available please

2. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    My Mobilio had a first gen EPS unit on it and had the same type of steering at speed. Needing to correct the steering constantly till I got used to it. If anything it behaved like it had no power steering at motorway speeds where very small inputs would effect direction and was only light under 15km/h. Ultimately after changing my steering habits and developed a 'light touch' it didn't bother me any more. It seems to be a characteristic of the earlier EPS systems across the board with concerns raised from Jazz/Fit, Stream etc.

If your worried take it to Honda I believe there are centering procedures and tests that can be done if deemed to be faulty, but from your description seems to be normal from my experience with them.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Thread moved to correct location.

4. daz2208 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply jd will keep driving and hopefully I will get accustomed to the way it steers thanks

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I haven't noticed the steering being overly heavy on my Uncles Civic, probably because the steering on my Accord is so heavy, but it does have a bit of weight to it, which is nice IMO, however it does constantly need correction and I can't stand it personally.

6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    It did take a bit of getting used to and apparently the newer versions have sorted out the drive a bit. I personally l prefer 'old fashioned' power steering as well.

Never the less it seems to be the way of the future as the drive for greater fuel economy increases. Hydraulic power steering accounts for approx .5% of the parasitic loss in a car, as much as the alternator. If your into that type of research http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicle...cles_and_systems_simulation/vss_17_fenske.pdf makes an interesting read.

exec likes this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I've driven new cars with EPS and they are hell of a lot better, less twitchy and don't need any correction, so I guess the systems have improved, but they are still no match for hydraulic steering. EPS systems are just completely devoid of any life and feel, the newer systems feel even more detached.

I loathe the fact that hydraulics are pretty much phased out on standard road cars, as steering feel is very important to me, its the thing that connected you the driver to the road.

8. daz2208 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looks like its just going to be a matter of time until I get used to it then thanks for posts replies much appreciated thanks

jd1959 and exec like this.
  9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    My 2004 Civic Type-S is the same as this, and after a bit, you will get used to the steering. In fact, I got so used to it that driving a car where I did not have to 'micro adjust' the steering when cruising felt like something was wrong :Smile:

10. daz2208 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers all for the replies feel better now I was thinking esp was playing up bad experience with a golf but my light lights up and goes out so thank you for putting me at ease