Suspension, Steering and Brakes Power steering leak. Solution?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Scotboxer, Wednesday 15th Aug, 2012.

1. Scotboxer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The ps cooling pipes in front of the radiator have succumbed to rust and I have a leak. The expensive option is to replace the whole lot with new parts. It may come to that but it would involve a lot of work doing so. Is it possible to fix the leak by (for example) cutting out the rusty section and replacing it with high pressure fuel hose or hydraulic hose and suitable clamps?

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had a similar problem on a Vauxhall and just cut out the rusty bit of a pipe and got some high pressure rubber hose and decent jubilee clips and replaced the section so much cheaper than replacing the whole lot.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup have to concur a that is a suitable band aid jobby. it will work make sure the clamping of the clips is good as the pressure is pretty high on the rack.

Or if you can get rust free one from the scrap yard and give loads of coating of paint and stone chipping covering.

4. Scotboxer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Dave. Any suggestions as to where to source the hose from?

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got mine from a local hydraulics firm, you may have a company near you called Pirtek they do high pressure hydraulic hose repairs etc they may sell you some otherwise try your local motor factors.

6. Scotboxer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is indeed one a couple of miles away. Will give it a try tomorrow. Many thanks.

7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice one let us know how you get on!

8. Scotboxer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK. Looks like I may not manage to do this job immediately. Couple of questions ...

1. Just bought a liter of Honda fluid to top up the system. £11:Aghast:. There are two types of power steering fluid. Use the wrong kind and you feck the steering box but Honda don't say what type their's is! Anyone know a cheaper correct alternative?

2. If anyone reading this has a vernier caliper and an Accord of the right vintage, I'd be very grateful to have the dimension of the outer diameter of the power steering pipe which sits in front of the radiator.

Cheers.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Two type of power steering fluid :Blink: what names and part numbers where you given.

10. Scotboxer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

None. This was the guy at Autoparts (not the Honda people) when I tried to buy a generic fluid. He had no reason to tell me porkies!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well there is only one Honda power steering fluid , so if he doesn't work for Honda dealership how does he know there is two.?

12. Scotboxer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK. Tried that and I still have a leak but possibly not as bad as before. New part is £120. Anyone know of a likely source for a second hand part?

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you considered bending your own pipe out of copper tubing of the same OD?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    On seconds thought don't make it out of copper the pressure involved in the power steering rack are pretty high. You need pipe of the same constructions.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Breakers yards bud

16. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is it leaking from the hose clips then? Did you get some decent ones when you got the pipe as I got some and didnt have any problems. Also did you use socket and ratchet to get them really tight? If I remember the hose clips I got where alot wider than the standard ones most places sell they were supplied by the hydraulics company who supplied the metal re-inforced rubber hose.