Suspension, Steering and Brakes Power Steering Leaking - HELP!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dave, Friday 25th Jul, 2014.

1. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Guys,

The 2 metal pipes that are visible in the lower part of the front bumper (below number plate) have corroded so badly that they are now seeping PAS fluid I only found this out tonight when it started getting noisy.

I'm sure someone else has had this problem on the I-CTDI and wondered what they eventually did with it.

CJ do you know what pressure the PAS runs at I'm thinking of replacing the rotten pipes with high pressure hose as I've done this previously with a similar problem on an auto box.

Cheers.

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Found it, was a 6th Generation looks like a trip to Pirtek for some hose then!

3. compo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Colin bradford
    That's the cooling pipe for the power steering fluid ,the honda part is about £160 but if you make one long enough it might cool it efficiently .

4. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I've managed to source one for £130 all in from my local dealer I could easily remove it and join the pipes up but not sure that will be the best option as the oil will eventually overheat and then the bill will be even more :Frown:

5. compo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Colin bradford
    yeah I got the pipe from Honda and got phoenixclose to fit it better to be safe.

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks a relatively straight forward job as had to remove bumper already to see how bad the pipe actually was and as you can see it's dripping all the time and the rest is well rotten so new pipe it is :Frown:

image1. image.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Lucky you spotted it before the system failed completely.

8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I only knew there was something wrong when it started to whine on the way home from work luckily it lasted 40 miles to get me home!

9. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Jeesus that's corroded to hell, I think I'm going to check mine! , what's the cause? few stone chips and rust?

10. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd say it's down to the age plus the fact it's almost done 180k miles so it's seen plenty of rain salt and stone chips.

I'll try and do a DIY for the replacement of it.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave, on my cars there is the first hint of rust after all its mild steel will eventually rust unless the pipe is made from proper stainless steel . glad you spotted the whine. Looking forward to the DIY its straight forward it not hard at all .

12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks like it is coated but even where it goes up to the rubber hoses it starting to corrode after all it's 8 years old now.

I had a panic when I heard it as I'd just had the A/C done the weekend before and the car had been sat all week my first thought was the A/C compressor it was only when I got home I heard it when turning the steering wheel. She did well to do the 50 miles home as when I topped the fluid up it leaked just by gravity!!!

13. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DIY done really quick and easy job to do.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good job Dave

Dave likes this.
  15. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks a lot better now

Before
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407058777.601864.

After
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407058718.276406.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  16. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Sorted! :Smile: