Engine & Gearbox Power Steering pipe

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Mark11, Sunday 21st Aug, 2016.

1. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark chesterfield
  2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    There are certain things that I would either get OEM again or get one of a scrap car - this would be one of those times.

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd probably try a local motor factors like Andrew Page or euro car parts see if they can get one before I'd buy off eBay or take the hose off and take it to pirtek who make hydraulic hoses and ask them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cheers for that, ill have a hunt round. don't fancy paying £268 for a pipe

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    SpeedyGee and Zebster like this.
  6. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

no not tried them yet going to go see them this week cheers

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

been to pirtek going to put my ends on a new section of pipe 40 pound all done :Grin:

Zebster, Ichiban, Nighthawk and 2 others like this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent news mate dude do us a favour do a before and after repair of the pipe as I am sure a lot members on here will be beating down Pritek's door for all things hose related.

The saving are clear to see for everyone.

9. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok will do. Be next week before i get it done . he said he was going to weld my end from the top with a new section and weld that onto my bottom end what is on the rack. hes basically just taking out the bit of pipe thats leaking and welding a new section in. Got to take it up and wait which will take half hour to an hour which is a bonus. not sure if a common thing with the power steering pipes but i rung loads of breakers before i went to pirtek and all breakers said not got one in, unless did not want to take it of :Pathead:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Two pipes that you probably don't want to source from a breaker :-

1) Power Steering
    2) A/C pipes

Why ? If the pipes end up with contamination inside (which is highly likely) you'll ruin your PS rack or pump or A/C condenser !

Ichiban and Mark11 like this.
  11. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Been to Pirtek to get repair done.
    Here is the old hose
    20160831_104544.
    This is where it was leaking 20160831_104544. 20160831_104553.
    Pirtek braised one end on and the other was a high pressure joint as you can see in picture
    20160831_133155.
    20160831_133200. 20160831_133200.
    Cost me £40.

I drained some fluid out when i took the pipe off. put the new pipe on, started engine, let it take a bit of fluid, kept topping it up till it stopped going down. Used Honda PSF. Did the left to right motion to bleed it. car feels find when driving and steering is smooth. when stood or turning to park, it feels slightly notchy and the odd time im getting a fog horn noise coming through my wheels. im assuming this is trapped air, but i cannot get it out. I've done lock to lock loads of times with the cap off. It only took a little bit of new fluid. is there a special way to bleed these. im noticing when doing lock to lock there is a few bubbles coming up in the reservoir.

legend-ary and Nighthawk like this.
  12. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have found the problem with the vibration through my wheel and its nothing to do with bleeding it.

When i took my original pipe off there was a metal join in the middle. which i have now found out is a restrictor which reduces the vibration and the noise. The Pirtek pipe is no good without the restrictor.

Its fine when driving at normal speed, just a little noise, but when slowing down to turn a corner or to park the car there is more noise and a lot of vibration through the wheel, which i never had before.

My advice: Buy a second-hand one and clean it or buy a new one at £300 which i was reluctant to do, but i have no option now.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    can't pritek join the restrictor to the new pipe, ?or they will have a new one they can attach?

14. Mark11 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

they said can not do it they gave me a refund and said keep the pipe they made. I got a second hand power steering pipe on now and all is fine flush the system out with new PSF and steering feels good

Ichiban likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well you can't be fairer than that, how much did you pay for the second hand pipe?