General power steering pipes and pesky mice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by richard baker, Monday 27th Oct, 2014.

1. richard baker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dick darlington
    I have owned 3 Accords since 2004 and clocked up around 300,000 miles with hardly a hiccup.
    My latest acquisition a 2.2 DIESEL EXEC Accord Tourer came complete with a stowaway however that chewed through the rubber power steering pipe.
    It looks like a long haul waiting for a replacement, December apparently, does anyone know where spares may be readily available please?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma Richard. Please do pop along to the "Introduce yourself" section and say a few words about yourself and your car.

What year is your Accord Tourer and which part of the power steering pipe was chewed away.

3. richard baker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dick darlington
    The accord is a 2006 model, the chewed pipe is the main pipe from the reservoir feeding the steering rack apparently.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I would look for a breakers near you and actually attend in person to see the pipe come off. Reason being if you just purchase from say an ebay listing you don't know the history of the pipe, it may have been sat around off the car gathering dust and debris.
    This dust and debris will then find it's way into the power steering system and potentially damage pumps or other components.

When it comes to power steering system or A/C system, ultimately it's best to purchase new piping to avoid the above situation.

5. richard baker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dick darlington
    Yeh, thanks for that.
    Its frustrating really, if the thread form was known outside of Honda themselves a hydraulic pipe supplier could make one.
    I believe I will have to wait until a new one comes in via Honda spares.
    I will when its sorted keep the old pipe as I am curious to know what threads are used, it could be useful to other owners, although probably only if they like me are invaded by mice, I don't recall ever having to renew a pipe, even on the oldest of my Accords.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Actually I was thinking you could temporarily repair the split part by cutting the hose, find some correct diameter copper pipe and using some jubilee clips to connect the hose back up.
    This will at least stop the leak for now and allow you use the car without the worry of constantly checking P/S fluid level.

7. richard baker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dick darlington
    Yes I guess so, I don't know what pressure the system gets to though, do you know?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Don't know exactly what pressure it runs at but it won't be all too much.