Suspension, Steering and Brakes Power Steering problems

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by foursail, Tuesday 1st Oct, 2013.

1. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello after a bit of advice please

Set off for work other week and it was bit colder than normal and as get nearer to work can hear a whine noise gradually getting worse until i stopped popped the bonnet and the fluid in power steering reservoir foaming like mad. After work started up no noise steering normal but lots of air still getting pumped through reservoir. Went on net as you do noticed lots of similar posts with same symptoms, one on this site about the o-ring on the union between hose and pump. It didnt mention anything specific about FR-V but o-ring was same so ordered the new orange type o ring and replaced but to no avail still lots of turbulence & foaming in reservoir. Checked the pipes no leaks checked the pump no leaks had the reservoir off drained cleaned filter at bottom and its still foaming in the reservoir but no whine and steers normally. I have no leaks anywhere the fluid in reservoir is remaining at same level but where is the air getting in? its warmed up a bit of late but im sure the whine will return when weather gets colder.

would appreciate some advice before resorting to going to garage! its a 2.0 sport FR-V 2005 73000 miles

many thanks

jim

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi there have you topped up the PS bottle with any other liquid than the Honda power steering fluid ?

3. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I'm using genuine honda fluid. When you look at reservoir when engine idling it looks like the fluid getting pushed to other side of reservoir from where return pipe feeds in and foaming when take top off and peer in. Should the fluid in reservoir be moving about so much is that normal just not the bubbles?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can you raise the wheel off the ground and remove the top cap and try moving the steering wheel lock to lock several times with the engine running.you may have trapped air in the system with the cap off you may be able to vent it.

5. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I've done this bled the system after had reservoir off it was foamy before and same after changing o-ring etc nothing has got rid of the foaming which makes me think it's still sucking it in somewhere

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will have to do a through examination of all the hoses clamps and PS oil cooler to see if you have some sort of pin hole leak which is sucking in air to causing the foaming or there is internal debris causing the flow to be restricted. Can't suggest anything else without looking at the car

7. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks it's a pesky problem I've seen numerous other examples of other models of honda having exactly same symptoms. Ill struggle on and let you know if I get to byte bottom of it incase anyone else gets this problem