Bulletins & Advisories Power Tailgate damage

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Service News, Wednesday 31st Jul, 2013.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    This is heads-up to all 4th Generation CR-V cars equipped with power tailgate to make owners aware of a potential issue when you manually close the CR-V tailgate. Honda has seen a few related issues on the latest 2013 models The damage can occur if the owner tries to close the tailgate manually while it is already operating in power close mode (for example, the owner becomes impatient waiting for the tailgate to close and applies additional force manually to the tailgate to speed up the closing process).

Honda have measured this and noticed even with a relatively small amount of force (~ 25kgf) applied to the tailgate close to the handle can be sufficient to deform the tailgate frame.

1 AOCUK CRV Tailgate.JPG

When the owner presses the remote open button on the fob the power tailgate motor clutch is engaged during the closing operation, any additional force applied to the tailgate results in the open/close rod acting as a pivot point for any additional force applied, and this may result in deformation of the tailgate frame as shown.

2 AOCUK CRV Tailgate.JPG

Please note this warning is NOT in your owners manual.

Please ensure all 4th Generation CR-V owners are aware of this potential damage if the power tailgate is not operated correctly. Honda dealers have been instructed to tell all new customers for the same.

Can all 4th Generation CR-V owners check their tailgates if they have damage then you need to contact your dealers for repairs, since you were not aware of this flaw.

On a personal point: Honda should have strengthened this tailgate frame on their initial testing.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Very surprised to see this - not what I would expect from a Honda.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Surprising isn't it,it only happens on Swindon made cars? The 7th Generation and 8th Generation Tourer have had remote tailgates for over ten years and this is not an issue.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

This feels like a design issue rather than a manufacturing issue (although likely a bit of both, as I imagine strengthening the tailgate frame would partly resolve) - was the CR-V designed in UK as well as being manufactured here?

Can't imagine this going down well with customers in Japan, as I assume CR-V's are exported there from UK?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes you are right it is a design issue on the tailgate stamping process, the swindon press will be pressing the tailgate out of steel sheets as per the design specifications from Honda japan. However they could reinforces that area by adding strengthening ribs. They will need to use slightly more sheet metal or even have that section into a box section with strengthening ribs.

On saying that the design of the CR-V was done solely in Japan,however the Swindon gestapo went to great lengths to get the message to suggest the 4th Generation CR-V was tested by european engineers,on european roads for for european owners and it totally unique and bespoke for our needs.

What a load of tosh they need to get a grip and start acting like a Japanese firm of quality.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Anyone who forces down the tailgate when its operating by use of the button deserves it to be damaged.

If you're in a hurry/rush to shut it, why use the power tailgate button in the first place?!

Not really rocket science?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hope to recover the missing images in this thread when another restore is done.!

TDK I agree with you I have always use the electric motor to shut the tailgate on all my tourers. I have opened it manually but I insist to use the electric shut when closing.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You should have seen the looks I got - I was opening/closing the boot a fair distance from the car in various car parks etc - people watching in amazement, but unable to see who was doing it!!! :Rolf:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I get that all the time at the supermarkets too :Smile:

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Indeed so, but there is no accounting for some people...!!:Aghast:

Many years ago Citroen had an issue with their AX tailgate (remember those?). The tailgate was made of plastic, and was fine if shut when standing BEHIND the car as most people would do. The problem was, people tended to shut the tailgate when standing to the SIDE of the car...which meant that there was an amount of "flex" and that started shattering rear windscreens.

French designers knew how to do a design fault PROPERLY!!:Foolish:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda has made an amended to this TSB this now affected all CR-V models of all year models with a power tailgate.

PanayiotisPal and FirstHonda like this.