General Powering dash cam via USB cable in the car?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galgo, Thursday 9th Jul, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I recently bought an Anker PowerDrive 2 which converts my 12v cigar lighter socket into two USB ports.

According to the specs, it can deliver up to 2.4 amps and 24w per port.

I know that USB is 5v, and the adapter I've got converts the 12v from the car and outputs 2x 5v.

My question is this: if I bought a dash cam, can I safely power it via a USB cable that goes into my Anker PowerDrive 2?

Thanks!

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Should be fine, I use 1A fuses in my add-a-circuits for dash cams and they don't blow. Current draw is very small for dash cams.

Galgo likes this.
  3. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Awesome, cheers. :Grin:

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As mentioned above you will have no problems with power, if you are using the Mini series of cameras bear in mind that a power only USB cable is used (if the cable is capable of transferring data the cameras tend to boot into USB mode which prevents recording).

Last edited: Monday 13th Jul, 2015
  5. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Still haven't decided which camera to get, but have seen that it's possible to buy a charge-only USB cable so I'll be getting that instead of using a random USB cable from home.

I've seen some people taping up connectors on their USB cables and even cutting them and shorting two wires. But, I think it's nicer and cleaner to just get a ready-made cable. We're only talking about five quid or so, it ain't going to break the bank lol

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I didn't realise that with the mini series, I thought the base station was power only and you have to connect to the port in the actual camera for data transfer?

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As others have said, yes you can. Both of the cameras in the Civic are powered by a 12v to 5v USB convertor and it powers them both absolutely fine
    - - - Updated - - -
    If you really want to be sure, plug a USB cable into the convertor and use a multimeter to test the voltage before connecting it up to the camera