Electrical & Lights Pre facelift headlight misting: warranty extension

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 15th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The Symptom
    Water enters the headlight, causing severe condensation or fogging. For HID Headlights it may also cause low beam failure.

IMG_2815.

The Cause
    The insufficient bonding between the headlight lenses and housing which allowed ingress of water.

The Fix

On the initial symptoms of this issue on the following chassis CL7, CL9, CN1 CM1, CM2, CN2, the customer cars were fitted with revised clips which has more clamping hold. The success rate of this fix was limited with a low percentage of first time fix. So Honda made a revised headlight for all prefacelift car i.e. 03,04 & 05 production rum. The sealing performance between the headlight lens and housing was improved to prevent water ingress. The only solution was to replace entire headlight units were being changed on customer complaint.

TIP

Owners fitting aftermarket HID, if you are drilling the caps to get the gourmet and the wire into the back of the low beam. Make sure the hole you drill isn't bigger than the gourmet size ,a larger hole will allow moisture laden air to enter and cause condensation. Please note dealer finding aftermarket kits will /may not entertain any extended warranties.

When you replace the headlight cap make sure you coat the large O ring with a thin and even layer of Vaseline to moisten up the o ring and it will ensure a good seal.
    If you note this does not resolve the issue the last resort is to introduce silica gel bag toward the bottom of the head light beam. Make sure you don't get the silica gal bags toward the lower bean reflector. The heat of the beam can burn the outer bag causing the silica granule to burst and create a mess.

Extended Warranty

Warranty extension is normal warranty +3 years - Mileage limitation : 95,000 miles

Majority of prefacelift cars are outside the remit of this TSB, however all Honda dealers are doing special deals on prefaclift headlight. Honda logistics has a large stock of halogen headlights which they are actively clearing. So please consult your local dealer if you want to purchase new headlights.

Last edited: Tuesday 15th Nov, 2011
    SayamaAccord likes this.
  2. according to andy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

headlights condensation in lamp houseing

Have wondered any thoughts gentlemen on how to cure condensation building up inside headlamp casing, someone suggested drilling small hole in headlight case , i believe this is a common fault, any ideas or thoughts would be welcome

3. colinkick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

headlights misting up

Hi all,
    I have just purchased a 2004 Accord and thought i'd join this website for a bit of advice. Both front headlights suffer from misting which according to the dealer is a known accord issue where the rubber seals fail. It detracts from the rest of the car so I want to get it sorted. A brief check online shows that new headlight units aren't cheap (£200 each). Can i reseal my current units and has anyone else suffered this issue.
    Thanks.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Re: headlights misting up

There was an extended warranty offered by Honda on this issue, see this thread http://hondakarma.com/threads/108/

Even this extension will probably not help you, given the year of your car but worth speaking to Honda UK about it ... they may be kind enough to help you out a little, perhaps offer a much reduced replacement headlight.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  5. colinkick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that. Is there anyone who has suffered this problem and found a solution without going down the warranty or replacement unit route

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think some people have put silica gel inside the lamps in the past to dry them out.
    Haven't a clue how effective this is though.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've not done one myself, so can't give you specific instructions but in principle you need to take the headlights off, take them apart and then reseal them with new silicon or rubber seals as appropriate.

Moderate DIY skills should be sufficient to under take this task.

BTW I forgot to mention it's customary for new members to pop over to the "Introduce yourself" section and say a few words about yourself and your car. It helps us to get to know you a little better :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hmm yeah but that isn't really getting to the route cause of the problem. There is a break in the seal somewhere which is allowing the moisture in.

8. colinkick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for the advice so far. Didn't expect such quick responses. I'll go and have a chat at a local honda dealer first and see how i get on. Failing that, i may try a silicone sealant or similar to try and cure it.

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's a much easier fix if people haven't got the finances for new headlights, or the skills to repair the seal.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Colin, one thing you should check is that the rear caps on the headlights are on properly and have their rubber seals in place.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm not sure how well it works, so you drop a packet it. After sometime it will be soaked right, so what do you do then, do you need to fish it back out of the headlight ? It could have lodged itself anywhere. :Unknown:

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As I said originally I've never tried it so don't know how effective it is. Although a large bag of silica should be quite effective at soaking up condensation. The point I was trying to make is that you wouldn't want to spend around a fifth of the cars value on replacement headlights.

12. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    If you have heat in a area like a head lamp housing it expanse the air. Then when the lamp is off the area cools down and moisture laden air leaks in. If you look at a root cause analysis the seal is the problem. I have used Silica gel before the pack sizes are around 50X50mm and they worked well. If you pass any power transformer the breather pipes are connected through gel filters. In normal operations it is blue (dry) and pink when moisture laden. I wonder if the bulbs used in these plastic lens are getting too hot ?.

13. Elkingyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had my Accord into my local Honda dealer to diagnose ABS fault and they told me that there was a warrenty repair (2003, 90k miles) due on my car. Good news is that ABS sensor and lights should be fixed as booked in next Wednesday. Good times :Happy:

14. thumper Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Hi all, I've recently become the owner of a 2005 (54) Accord. Had fogging headlights, Johnsons Honda in Milton Keyns couldn't have been more helpfull if they tried 130000ish miles and still put the new clips on under warranty. They have been super helpfull with other things too.
    Hope this helps.

15. Elkingyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, after having the magical extra clips added,I still have misty headlights :Frown:

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    try blow drying it with a hair drier with the low beam cap off in the spring time. There is too much of moisture in the air currently to avoid condensation.

If that does not help in Spring then it will be headlight replace.

17. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I have a 2008 run out 2.2 I-CTDI saloon EX with satt nav. i had a guy run into my front driverside in 2010 and had a new headlight + 10k euro of repairs. I have notice light fogging and light misting in this head lamp. Tonight I notice big water droplets inside the lamp. I was going to put a few packs of silica gel into it for a week or so. I have 82 k miles on the clock and the car was bought first in the UK in Jan 2008. What are my options ?.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If it's a new headlight, it's obviously got a fault and isn't sealed properly. Take it back to the place that did the repairs and ask for a replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

If it's a new headlight, it's obviously got a fault and isn't sealed properly. Take it back to the place that did the repairs and ask for a replacement.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In a nutshell not a lot .. in sense of free replacement! no chance in hell will that happen.

if the headlight was replaced when you had the accident with a new unit then you won't have a crack or fracture?

Check the low beam cover and see if it is locked into position and the o ring is present. if you can get the headlight and check for cracks that will be better!

if the headlight is OK then get the low beam cover off and get a steam stream of hot air to get the moisture out.

20. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    12 months after the crash the low beam blub blew. When I went to chage it there was a screw holding the cover onto the headlight unit. When I finally got it off I noticed there was no rubber seal on it. I took it to work and got a rubber seal made for it to the same size as the other hed light. On yesterday I moved the driver wheel wing cover and checked the cable entry and parking light and they seemed fine. Had a look at the main beam and it seem OK as well.