Engine & Gearbox Pre-Facelift Type-S, Throttle Issues

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by syzsounds, Wednesday 13th Aug, 2014.

1. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Morning all,
    The other half has a the above mentioned motor.
    Am i right in thinking this is an electronic throttle on these ?
    Reason for asking is its not a smooth pedal ..it seems to go as you put your foot down but sort of pauses as you apply more pressure to the pedal and then screams off again, like a bit of the throttle doesn't work.
    Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know where to start looking at it ?
    :Smile:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say its a wire run TB, open the bonnet and have a look at the TB fella and follow the cable.

Check the operation of the throttle pedal with your hand is it smooth is there any ressistance?try lubricating the spring on the pedal and take it from there.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    How did you get one with this ? Is the problem sorted, and if so, what was the cause ?

4. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tbh i havent had the time to look as when the weathers nice im out on the bike !

Did a monthly oil check and cannot find a throttle cable so i will look into it a little more when time allows.

5. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I'm sure mine has a cable. Mine is also jerky.

I'm gonna try red grease on it this weekend.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Yours has a throttle cable with an IACV @moob, the CL9 Accord is DBW. @syzsounds, search for and read up on the TPS relearn procedure, it has helped with issues like this in the past.

In general though the map on the stock K24 doesn't have the best throttle bias, the amount the throttle body plate is open doesn't following the pedal position 1:1. I had this changed when I remapped mine and I much prefer it now.

moob likes this.
  7. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This for a Civic dev .... same procedure ?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Which generation/model Civic is it @syzsounds?

9. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's not my area of expertise mate, but I've seen people use these "channelled clamps" to do it:

strawinserted.

moob likes this.
  11. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Cheers @DeviateDefiant, will take a look. I'm getting rid of this motor next year anyway, the ride quality is akin to a roller coaster car. The wife has a wee Jazz and I love driving that believe it or not, so I might pick one of them up. Small engined petrol is the way forward for my needs/job.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Funnily enough I've always thought the 7th Generation Civic wasn't a bad handling little car. I think the Jazz is a safer bet then any of the newer Civic though, they just seem built better.

13. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    It handles well, it's just really rattly and a bit of a bone shaker.