Service & Maintenance Pre MOT report

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Skooshbag, Tuesday 24th Feb, 2015.

1. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    MOT is due in March, so I took it for a pre MOT MOT today. I expected a fail (due to a constant ABS light and no handbrake) but here is the full report:

Brakes failures: RBT Park Brake Efficiency: 1%

Anti-lock braking system warning lamp indicates an ABS fault
    N/S front ABS wiring excessively damaged
    O/S front position lamp(s) not working
    (rear joint) Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust fumes
    Exhaust emissions lambada reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits
    O/S rear anti-roll bar has excessive play in a pin/bush
    O/S steering rack gaiter split

garage said total repair will be around £500 and thats semi mates rates,

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For a 15 year old these are all wear and tear and you got to decide what you want to do spend the money or its flog it for a newer car.

3. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    I think it's going to be a case of doing alot of it myself. That £500 he quoted me inc parts, but the price I was given, for example, the lambda was £150, yet I found them new online for £65

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The only bigger job there is the exhaust, the rest are fairly easy to nip in the bud. For the lambda sensor make sure to get a Denso OE compatible at least, as @exec will tell you most of the aftermarket ones have known issues - and preferably replace them in pairs (Primary and Secondary O2 at the same time).

If you post up the parts list/prices we can always have a look through and feed back on it :Smile:

Skooshbag likes this.
  5. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    thanks @DeviateDefiant . anywhere specific I should shop and places i should avoid?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Not in particular, brands are more important than anything else. Obviously genuine will be the best quality by far, but I don't think you want to outlay that kind of money considering the age of the girl. To save on costs I'd use Blueprint for most bits, I just don't recommend them for everything.

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Here's my thoughts

Anti-lock braking system warning lamp indicates an ABS fault - Clean up the sensors and ABS ring, might be something as simple as that
    N/S front ABS wiring excessively damaged - shouldn't be too expensive if its just clip on wiring, I owuld look into Holdcroft Honda, often prices for certain parts for OEM is not much different to after market parts.
    O/S front position lamp(s) not working - not sure what is meant by the front position lamp ?
    (rear joint) Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust fumes - If it's just the rear box it should be less than £100, £200 for mid section and back box, kwik fit is decent, originally got mine from there before my catalyser was stolen.
    Exhaust emissions lambada reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits - as said by deviatedefiant, some aftermarkt work some don't so make sure you get the right one, the ngk/ntk one off ebay works, but the denso one doesn't, but the denso one deviate has got is compatible, so make sure you check, an original one costs a bomb around £160, aftermarket is half that.
    O/S rear anti-roll bar has excessive play in a pin/bush - Just replace the bushes, I would get them from Honda, because cheap aftermarket ones tend to be well cheap and they will start knocking and squeaking and don't last long.
    O/S steering rack gaiter split - Not sure on that one, but I remember my dad's previous car, on his final MOT it failed on a leaking gaitor, he just got a universal one fitted, a bit of a 'botch' job but does the job if you don't want to spend money on it.

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Front position lamp is the correct technical term for your front side lights

To replace your steering rack gaiter (boot), you have to remove the outer tie rod end. Not a hard job at all, just have to get an alignment afterwards.

The rear anti roll bar bushes are easy to change.

exec likes this.
  9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Ah, so just a bulb change, they are H1 or H7, can't remember which think its H1. Get the Philips Xtreme bulbs as they will aid with the lighting with the main lights, the standard bulbs are just poop.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

Not sure what they are for the 6th gens, 7th gens are T10s/W5W.

Check this out for your steering boot, read from teh start to step 4. Step 8 is reinstalling the boot - this will cover what you need to do to replace it. - Replacing Inner and Outer Tie Rods

Its for the seventh gen but to be honest, thats how you change the boots for pretty much any car regardless of make or model and its really simple to change. They arent expensive to buy (you can get them off ebay)

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

They're T10/W5W/501s or however you want to refer to them as above :Smile:

I have some 6th Generation steering rack boots that I don't need as I had genuine replacements popped in.

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

all relitively minor things really and £500 aint bad even at mates rates, Like with the lamba sensor, when it comes to exhaust parts, get quality items if you can afford it. Things from the likes of Bosal. Often cheap aftermarket exhaust parts do not line up properly and is one of the niggles I have for my own car, they also don't sound that good compared to OE. An exhaust system, including middle pipe for mine cost £120, (about £60 each section) ARB links are cheap enough, no probs there, you might need to make a trip to the scrap yard if the ABS wiring is beyond repair, they should just unplug and clip off if I remember rightly.

exec likes this.
  13. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    regarding bushes for the ARB, rubber or poly?

14. Nighthawk Guest

Personally I would go poly. Changing the rear ARB bushes is easy

15. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    anyone use the part finder thing on eBay and Amazon? when I put my reg in, it keeps coming back with it as a 7th Generation, when it's a 6th Generation. it's making for a nightmare

16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yes I've tried, its a freaking nightmare mate.

17. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries

I have trust issues with it now, as a few weeks ago I bought front and rear pads, and now I don't know if they will be suitable on the SHOW ALL COMPATIBLE VEHICLES it says accord 200 MKVII 1998-2014

anyhoo, other parts.

Front Lambda

rear Lambda

ARB bushes I can get locally from TMS for about £5 for a set (may as well refresh both) and the ABS sensor from local used car parts dealer DA Autos for about £22

question regarding the lambdas. When the MOT reprt came back and the fella rattled off the list, se said that the hole in the exhaust could be affecting the lambda readings, so would it be wiser to seal the hole then get it checked again or is he talking crap?

18. Nighthawk Guest

Personally I wouldn't touch those pads - they arent even branded in any way. New pads from HH wouldn't be much more than that and then you would guarentee that they would fit. They are brakes after all.

Sensor checks the air mixture rate, so yes, a hole could affect its reading

19. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    That pic is just a generic pic. when they arrived the rear are Trupart http://www.trupart.co.uk/ and the front are Abtex Plus+

RE the exhaust and sensors, I would be better dealing with the hole before possibly wasting £ on lambdas

20. Nighthawk Guest

Yes, I would get the hole sorted out first. The sensor could be absolutely fine.

Never heard of that brand before - look forward to hearing what they are like when you have fitted them.