Aftermarket Kit Premium Sound System wiring - ICE experts in here!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Galgo, Thursday 2nd Jul, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Following on from my other thread, I've decided to ditch the faulty and antiquated navigation head unit and DVD drive in my Accord.

I will instead be installing a double DIN head unit with all the features I need. I would like to keep the factory amp, speakers and sub (for now).

Has anyone here done this before? If so, any advice or tips?

And I assume I'll need to buy and fit some crossovers so I can use the dash mounted tweeters?

Thanks.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @DJ Wozza could help you check out his car in the garage for some ICE clues and set up.

3. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I saw his project log but he's not using anything factory. I know how to wire up ICE as I've done it loads on other cars.

Just not 100% sure of the factory amp setup in my car. Part of me is thinking it might be easier to bin the factory amp and buy a 4 channel for the speakers. I've got a spare 2 channel Alpine amp I could use for the sub in the boot.

£££s though... :Frown:

4. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

At first I thought the head unit had a built-in crossover for the tweeters, but it seems like the amp has one instead! At least, that's what most Accord folks (and Civic owners for that matter) on other sites are saying. What a clever little box of tricks the stock amp is! Shame it's not very beefy.

I've checked on my workshop manual software and the pinout for the amp connectors seem to back this up too.

Last edited: Thursday 2nd Jul, 2015
  5. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Wozza Bromley
    Let me know if I can help at all mate

Galgo and Nighthawk like this.
  6. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Wozza :Smile:

7. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

image. Are you fitting one of those all in one units with heater controls built in, or a double DIN lower down where mine is?

8. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've bought one of those upper dash panels with the HVAC controls built into it. I know it's not the nicest looking of things, nor is it cheap, but I'd prefer having access to a double DIN head unit roughly near to where the factory screen is/was.

Didn't want to get one of those all-in-one head units; I wanted to buy a proper branded head unit lol

9. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any pictures or a link?

10. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

11. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I might be able to get that fascia cheaper for you . .
    Let me know if you want me to get a price.

Chris.

12. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Too late Chris I've already bought it and it's on its way to me lol

Thanks anyway. :Smile:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm interested to see how you get on with this kit. Personally I like to keep things stock looking but agree that having a double din unit so low down isn't user friendly so I understand your choice.

I'd would say that going aftermarket head unit you may as well ditch the factory amp and just add an external amp in to drive your speakers.

Galgo and DJ Wozza like this.
  14. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I would have to agree, if the budget is tight, pick up a smallish secondhand aftermarket amp from eBay from a seller with very good feedback, or one of the FB groups where people sell secondhand like Budget Boomers, it will be miles better than the stock amp.

If you go down this route, stay away from brands such as Edge, Fusion etc & stick with the big guys. Alpine, Pioneer etc. sound quality & reliability will be much improved. If this isn't an option, I still think the new head unit power would be a better option.

I ruled out what you are doing because those fascias have a bad rep with the diesel models, so had no choice but to situate elsewhere. Although not ideal, because I have DVD & TV etc, I have no temptation to watch either whilst driving, plus it is drawing less attention where it is from passers by.

Good luck whatever you decide mate, I will watch this thread with interest :Smile:

Galgo likes this.
  15. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys. I know it's not ideal but for now I'll just use the factory amp as that's the least cost option at the moment.

Once my wallet has recovered I'm planning on getting a new aftermarket amp and new speakers all round.

I also have a 10-inch JBL sub lying around from 3 cars ago so I might try and fit that in a custom side-mounted box in my boot (I've got a tourer and the factory 8-inch sub is fitted in the same way).

Of course, I need to put aside some £££s for any new bits first! Still, as long as I've got a working stereo for now that uses the factory amp I'll be happy. Phase 2 of my ICE upgrade will have to wait a few weeks.

DJ Wozza likes this.
  16. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

BTW does anyone happen to know what the power rating is for the stock 8-inch Pioneer sub? I'm guessing not a lot since it's powered by such a tiny amp!

17. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Probably less than 50w rms at an educated guess

18. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I was thinking something along those lines. It never really felt that bassy when I turned up the volume (and yes I did adjust the bass level lol)

On a separate note, did you have to buy an adapter for the aerial cable Wozza?

19. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm pretty sure I didn't mate

Galgo likes this.
  20. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I seem to have what looks like two antenna cables? Is the smaller one for the antenna 'power'?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435950272.773997.