Fuel Efficiency Premium v Regular diesel

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Ralphk, Thursday 7th Jul, 2016.

1. Ralphk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom RK Malvern
    i have been running a Civic Tourer I-DTEC 1.6 for the last two + years and have always used premium diesel in the belief that that it gave me better m.p.g. And was better for my engine. As the car is now going and being replaced by a new CR-V 1.6 I am wondering whether it is really worth it. I know that the arguments rage on about the perceived benefits of premium but I have to say that I a not convinced and any evidence seems to be anecdotal with no concrete scientific justification given for the increased cost of the fuel versus the benefits. I have looked for a thread but have not found one on the site ( that doesn't mean there isn't one, it just means that I am thicker than usual) so come on, what can be said to justify the extra expense or otherwise!

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Ralphk

That's the sort of question that results in the 'can open, worms everywhere' scenario...:lol:

There is some stuff on this thread;

Petrol vs Diesel CR-V fuel economy (Fuel Efficiency - )

Personally, I've always found premium fuel (petrol in my case) gives an economy improvement of 3-4 MPG according to the computer. Does that make financial sense vs standard fuel? Almost certainly not, but I feel my car runs better on premium, even though I accept it is probably the placebo effect! I'd say there is no real answer, but if you feel better with premium and can afford premium, then use premium.

I'll await the usual debate, @Zebster for one takes the opposite view I think.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I use only Shell in my Accord. It runs smoother, more performance and better economy. For the price difference, I am going to keep using it personally.

4. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Having worked for a petrol chemical company (research dept) I can honestly say it don't make a iota of difference in the REAL world. Any perceived benefit is just that perceived as you have probably have driven differently cause you've spent that extra dollar and want more for your buck. As there is a limited no. of refineries in the UK the base fuel at shell, bp, total, Tesco, asda, Morrison's, ET al is basically the same. You only have to see which petrol road tankers leave the refineries. The petrol companies want you to spend an extra 15p/litre, 68p per gallon, £7.50 for a typical 50litre tank on "super" fuel.
    At today's prices £7.50 buys 6 1/2 litres of standard fuel which depending on the vehicle may get you an extra 50-60 miles.
    BP say you might get an extra 40miles out of a tank of fuel using their "super". So no price benefit per tank there. Interestingly Shell have more away from MPG and are marketing on a clean the gunk out of your engine and cylinders.
    (Whether you were an inny or outy RE brexit) all fuels premium and "super" have to meet strict bs/Euro standards so they are all fit for modern engines. For legal reasons I cannot go into too much depth RE performance but I know of probs cause by oil giant branded fuels and lambda sensors on certain marques of cars.
    It's all smoke and mirrors I'm afraid and clever marketing.
    I use supermarket fuel and regularly get
    CR-V 2.2idtec 2014 +50mpg
    Civic tourer 1.6idtec 2014 +75mpg
    The reason why supermarkets are cheaper is because they can
    1. offset the price of fuel against all their other items in the store. Penny here, penny there.
    2. they get a discount on buying huge volumes of fuel, stack of high and sell it cheap.
    3. more and more oil companies are getting into bed with supermarkets and selling the same fuel on a supermarket forecourt as a branded forecourt.
    It all boils down to buying a brand whether that's an oil giant or a supermarket.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When I was a company car driver and had riff raff cars Like Ford and Vauxhall until my petrol Honda Hybrid landed. Premium diesel made no difference at in MPG , the diesel engine is a donkey not a performance machine so use any diesel fuel.

The engine was quieter on premium fuel due to the increased cetane.

2.4 8thGen likes this.
  6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    this topic was extensively covered before Supermarket Fuels versus Oil Companies (General - )

it's a good read and I think you're getting refinieries confused with storage/blending terminals, plus, the price of the fuel on the forecourt is a function of the oil-fields used to obtain the crude that ends up at the storage/blending terminal, the supermarkets have vertically integrated with cheap blending companies that obtain the fuels at the cheapest global price Supermarket Fuels versus Oil Companies | Page 5 (General - )

7. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Shell stanlow oil refinery (as was) at Ellesmere port could be described as many things but a cheap blending company most certainly it wasn't. Many different outlets ran out of there for fuel and lubricating oil.
    At anyone time there are 5 or 6 super tankers sat in the English channel (off torquay) waiting for the price of crude to move. The price at the pump RE crude oil price in reality is miniscule when offset again the duty per litre + VAT and the fast buck the money men are making. Fuel never comes down in price as quick as it goes up, but they are different threads.
    RE this thread is it worth paying an extra 15p to 20p per litre for "super" fuel IMHO No. In laboratory conditions you might see a difference but in the real world with real drivers and real roads nope.

Zebster likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

According to the computer I get 3-5 MPG more from BP Ultimate. As I do the exact same 100 mile commute twice a week I can compare more easily than most I guess, and I always drive with the same (relaxed lol) style.

That small MPG increase is not enough to off-set the extra price, and in recent weeks - for convenience - I've been using standard Sainsbury unleaded. Economy on my run has dropped to 40-41 from 43-45.

What I'd really love to know is whether the various 'engine cleaners' in the super fuels actually make much difference.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think this thread is more relevant to Diesel , Petrol there are advantages all round using Premium primary being no ethanol.

10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd agree with that.
    With petrol, especially engines that adjust the timing using a knock sensor, there are advantages to using higher RON fuel.
    But the same cannot be stated for diesel engines, unless the better burn of a higher CN produces less carbon build-up over time ?
    The point is long-term engine condition, the less carbon build-up in any engine, the better the engine continues to run.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A donkey always farts and produces soot and carbon, since its a by product you cannot avoid it . Personally if you want to clear it out give the donkey a proper canning it will just drop its load. Again no need for premium diesel.:focus:

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ hahaha but you're forgetting one thing ....the DPF. I could postulate that a higher CN will help to increase the life of the DPF (cleaner burn etc), so that might have to be taken into account in a cost-benefit calculation.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    DPF is a glorified fart collector.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I have found it very difficult to see any significant difference in MPG between regular and Ultimate/Nitro diesel.
    However, there is a very noticeable difference in pick-up and acceleration. Our 'other car', (the diesel) is far more responsive when I use BPUD or SVPND, so I'm staying with them.

15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

switch from baked beans to grapes and the DPF will last longer

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've just been testing out BP ultimate in my auto petrol for the last 2-3 weeks with eco mode on and it's made no difference what so ever. I'm now going to try with eco mode off for a bit too.

I can only conclude that I need a more efficient tyre and some 0w20 oil. I also think that there's only one fuel going to the different pumps at the garages by me as other members are seeing a difference.