General Prepared For the Weather

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikon, Monday 2nd Nov, 2015.

1. Nikon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All

Are you all prepared for the weather yes its getting a little colder now and we have had Fog this week in many parts of the uk , and its gonna be a bleak winter , so be prepared and carry the
    essentials -- torch Blanket Big coat Jump leads Mobile charger , i have probably forgotten things but don't be caught out this winter oh make sure you have fuel , and be extra careful in the countryside only last year i drove down a country road in hudderfeild and there was total carnage a bus run into around 20 parked cars due to the road not being treated by the local council and there was severe black ICE and do remember busses are all well most Automatic and there not so good in Winter and yes most HGV are now automatic so members please be careful this winter always glad to help

Attached Files:

exec, legend-ary and SpeedyGee like this.
  2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Most of these horror storys of a snowmageddon are usually hyped up tabloid nonsens spouted every year, can't remember the last time we had a full on snowfest throughout the country, if anything the winter from november and december is so mild, gets colder during jan and feb.

3. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Yes, each year we do seem to get tabloid scare-stories, but just as with the story of the boy who cried wolf, one time it will prove to be correct. I've had a read of various weather-related web-sites, and there is definitely a mixed view. Some point to El Nino being a factor that negatively influences our climate, and the El Nino effect is presently increasing in the Pacific.

As for the definition of winter in this country, yes January to March is the best application for the word for "winter".

Finally, it is worth pointing out that, although "climate change" is semantically associated with "global warming", the reason why "climate change" is used is because whilst some parts of the planet will warm with increases in CO2 etc, some will tend to get cooler. This country could be one of those that will get a cooling trend over the years, because the Gulf Stream has usually kept this country milder in winter than eastern Europe on the same latitudes, and some people expect a decreased effect from the Gulf Stream, which would make this country less mild in winter.

Zebster and exec like this.
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    For a long time my car has held a mobile charger, a rug, a fleece, a waterproof jacket, a hi-viz vest, overalls, jump leads, a tyre pump, some water, a full fuel container, some crisps, some chocolate, jump leads, tow rope, a can of easy-start, snow socks, spare wipers, some engine oil, a proper spare wheel (with good tread and regularly checked!), Sumatriptan (for my migraine), Gaviscon, asprins, an umbrella, walking boots and loads of other things.

God I'm paranoid!

FirstHonda, exec and legend-ary like this.
  5. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

with that lot in your car I'm not surprised the MPG of your car is not brilliant :lol:

and, you're therefore making climate change worse, so one day you will need that lot (though I wouldn't fancy eating those crisps and chocolate, neither would I want to drink the water)

what about getting some snowshoes to go with the walking boots

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    ...Two socket sets, a tool box I can hardly lift, multi-meters and other diagnostic equipment, torque wrenches, everything needed to service both our cars when I get the time (including 11 litres of oil), 4 picnic chairs, some new calipers for the MR2...

Modplod and FirstHonda like this.
  7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

you need one of these

$_20.JPG

Zebster likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are we talking about a caravan here ? :cockywhistle:

9. Alano Premium Member Club Supporter

Are you preparing for winter or Armageddon @Zebster

Busa1340r, FirstHonda and Zebster like this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I think zebster is preparing for the zombie apocalypse :gotcha:

Zebster likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Do you carry a cuddly toy as well??

Last edited: Wednesday 4th Nov, 2015
    Busa1340r, Zebster and jimjams like this.
  12. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    You've more stuff in your motor,than I have in my house,can I move in?

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Haha - It doesn't have curtains or toilet facilities. Apart from that it's quite cosy.

Garrydhu likes this.
  14. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You were definitely in the boy scouts

Zebster likes this.
  15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't think so, he missed out nearly all of these, so he won't survive
    • A pocket knife (presumably more than just a knife, a Swiss Army knife for example) can come in handy in a wide variety of situations. It is useful for tasks as large as building an emergency shelter or lighting a campfire with poor fuel, or as small as repairing a damaged backpack.
    • A first aid kit can be a lifesaver. Literally. A basic kit for first aid might include adhesive bandages, medical tape, sterile gauze, moleskin, soap, antiseptic, a mouth-barrier device for CPR, and scissors.
    • Extra clothing to match the weather. Multiple layers are superior to a single massive jacket, because layered clothing is adaptable to a wide range of temperatures.
    • Rain gear is very important. Being wet from rain may result in hypothermia, a potentially fatal condition.
    • A flashlight is, of course, important for finding one's way at night.
    • Trail food is good for maintaining your energy. Hunger and low blood sugar can interfere with concentration and coordination.
    • Water is probably the most important of the Essentials. Dehydration may develop into heat exhaustion and heatstroke. The human body may only survive for a few days without water. Portable water purifiers and water stills may be used to obtain potable water from virtually any source. If a water-source is unavailable the use of a dromedary bag should be considered.
    • Matches and/or a firestarter may be used to light fires for heat, or for signalling purposes. (Publicly owned forests in the United States often have lookout stations for forest fires and signal fires.)
    • Sun protection may include sunblock, sunglasses, lip balm and a wide-brimmed hat. Used properly, it will prevent sunburn and possibly heat exhaustion.
    • Trail maps and compass are probably the most important tools one can carry in case of getting lost, along with the basic skills to use them. In knowledgeable hands, they can be used to determine one's location and the best route to reach another location.
    Scout Outdoor Essentials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Here we go again, shall I go grab a tin hat ?

jimjams and Zebster like this.
  17. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right,I completely forgot about the sunblock,,,bad mistake on my behalf

jimjams likes this.
  18. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ it will be needed in a "white out" in daytime, as will the sunglasses and lip balm. What is worse than no preparation for a bad winter, is someone who thinks they are prepared but isn't :lol:

Garrydhu likes this.
  19. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Big omission is a pkt of durex,,strictly to keep your fingers clean of course, in case of glove loss

jimjams and Ichiban like this.
  20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds