Dealers/Garages Preventative Maintenance - A Pre-emptive Strike ?

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by SayamaAccord, Wednesday 30th Nov, 2011.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No I don't mean public sector pensions.

I'm wondering if there are any parts so likely to go that it's worth changing them before they do.

I always change the battery before it's time because if it goes you're off the road and maybe left stranded.

In the past I've twice had an Accord driveshaft boot split on me when the car reached 9 or ten years old.

& 7th Generation seems heavy on anti roll bar droplinks.

If you want to DIY on the driveway better done in the spring and summer as winter is too cold for that malarkey.

Or is doing this sort of thing just wasting money & better to say if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Last edited: Wednesday 4th Jan, 2012
  2. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I am a great believer in preventative maintenance.

It seems like anti rollbar bushings on the rear are a fairly inevitable failure, as are the front ARB droplinks.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: A Pre-emptive Strike ?

My personal take is also preventative maintenance too . the drop links may look the same but these drop links(Genuine Honda Part) have different colour dots to differentiate the left and right.

Drop links with normal use last around 80K miles, if you have a habit of climbing kerbs or parking the car on a adverse camber these drop links do prematurely fail.

I won't recommend the aftermarket one as they are no where same as the Honda genuine part.

4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: A Pre-emptive Strike ?

To be honest I'm more of a reactive maintenance guy but i generally deal with things quickly when they do start to go. I do regularly check oil, tyres and fluid levels to be on the safe side and always keeo an eye on brakes.

One of the good things about owning an Accord is that things just don't go wrong very often. I went to my friends garage the other day and he commented that he never gets Honda's in to fix.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone else have an opinion after the service of this Jazz (dead link removed by staff)

do you still think reactive servicing is beneficial?

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
  6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    There's reactive maintenance then there's just ignorance and neglect. I think the Jazz was the latter!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well if it was reactive then this car didn't moan even after ignorance and neglect,this Jazz carried on working and became it only problem when these strange noises appeared. Then the reactive process was initiate:eek:

What I was leading to reactive maintenance regime leads to neglect.

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I like to change things before they go wrong.I changed battery last week that didnt need changing but was just over 3 years old and i decided to change it anyway.

9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some things I wait until they go but other things I prefer to change before they are worn. Tyres for example I will change when getting low but things such as coolant I'll wait until the times up for them.

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    i think the most important thing to do is get an honnest opinion from a decent garage on what to replace. i don't think its right to just replace everything but if you are told you need lower arm bushes by next service it gives you time to save up and isnt a shock when they require replacing. same can be said for everything realy.....proactive servicing means there are not surprises and massive bills in the future. the guy with the Jazz has put things off to the point where he needed everything sorting at once. its better to spread the cost than get a big bill!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Very true beefy MOT is due for me this Friday and need four new tyres .i rotate my tyres every 6k so they evenly wear just expensive replacing all tyres at the same time.

See you Friday

12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    no you won't!...ime in valencia with gaz.....woop woop....

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ahh yes the Stoke game have fun, hope you guys have a grin when you come back.