General Private Plate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDarkKnight, Monday 15th Apr, 2013.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Considering I am well and truly broke since deciding to opt for the new CR-V, I just a few moments ago decided to break a cardinal rule of mine and bought a private plate off the DVLA website so I can put on the car.

Didnt really like the allocation/selection of "13" reg number plates - and this one off the DVLA website was cheap enough as I had my eye on it for over a year but couldn't muster the cajones to make the purchase.

Ah well, open wallet surgey does hurt more than I imagined!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If I was in your boots I won't leave the showroom with the 13 plate I will want the private plate on it.

Get the Certificate of Entitlement (V750) to the dealer sharpish their guys can get the ball moving bud.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just made the purchase now, and so will take up to two weeks for the V750 to come, then that will be passed to the dealer to sort out for me.

:Thumbup:

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sure it took me less than a week from purchase to get my plate put on the car. The paper work came quick so I drove straight up to Shrewsbury DVLA and it was all sorted. It was easier than I thought:Thumbup:.

5. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hey well done bud. Hang the expense treat yourself :Grin:

I have thought if doing the same thing and surfed DVLA site once or twice. Would be nice to have a plate i can take with me with every new purchase. Nice one :Grin:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I reckon the ending is TDK or CR-V.

place your bets please.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It could be KN16IGHT

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You talkin to me punk! don't mess with the hoff

hoff-knight-rider-mustang.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hahaha!!

Nothing "CR-V" or "Knight" related, you Hoff-loving freaks!!

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I have to admit I've never been inclined to get a private plate, especially one that is meant to be like my name or something. But I've been thinking about it recently as it can be good to hide the age of the car to a certain extent. Are the worth it?

11. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I've had a private plate since 1990. Nothing special, just my initials, but it's easy to remember. Since I took early retirement I have kept my cars longer, so the plate no longer identifies the year. It also means that I don't pose with the latest number plate.

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think its worth it in the long run as long as you don't spend too much on it. As you said it can hide the age of the car which is good but it also makes it easy to remeber your reg which can be a pain if you change your car often. I was unsure if to get a private plate at first as it wasnt cheap (£600) but Im glad I got it in the end as I would have got F.A for my birthday!

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Suppose it depends more on what you want to pay for it.

I'll confess, I had never been bothered with private plates - every car has a registration anyway! But I thought I'd get one - been deliberating for quite a while anyway. If its any consolation, mine cost less than £500. Its nothing special, obvious or remotely interesting to anyone else but me.

14. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had my plate since 2002 had ten cars since then so paid more in transfer fees than the plate was to buy although it has gone up in value thats more than i can say for all the cars I've bought.

15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got plates on both mine which reflect mine and my wife's name. We also bought one for my daughter as a Christmas present which reflects her name as well. When I got mine I informed the dealer and they did all the work to get it on my car before it was delivered. The whole process only took a week or so I think.

16. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice to see your dealer looked after you and your plate, Bought my CR-V off Evans Halshaw! charged me a Admin fee to sell me the car then wanted £50 to do the plate transfer, or even put it on retention.:Angry:

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thats pendragon PLC for you :Angry:if they had their own way they will charge you to pump your car tyres too, they are just notorious for making up charges out of thin air not to mention extravagant prices for lot little service.

18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Actually I must admit it was probably the only good thing that Stratstone(SPIT) did for me when I purchased the car.

19. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    I purchased my plate using my iphone in just a few minutes, had it put straight on my ES GT when I bought it by my dealership- no problem.
    When I swapped to the CR-V , again my dealer did everything ( including giving me the old plates off the ES GT in case I Anne's to tow a trailer).
    Mine was just £250 and shows both mine and my wife's initials and my year of birth- simples!!
    My only problem is that I sometimes get letters from the dealership reminding me of services etc relating to the Accord instead of the CR-V.
    They are in the process of removing the link to the Accord.
    People have commented on my new CR-V and are surprised to hear that it is actually 3 years old.
    I did think of getting one for the wife , with the same initials but with her year of birth. For some reason she didn't like that idea?!?

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Aww you softie.. :Wub::Wub: Helen has no choice of private plates it all Honda related or it not on the car :Smile: