Engine & Gearbox Problem accelerating not picking up sometimes

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by spoty, Monday 13th Aug, 2012.

1. spoty New Member Getting Started

Hi, I've got a 2004 diesel Accord. We just did a trip abroad and noticed some problems on the motorway when trying to accelerate ... when we are about to overtake and push the foot to the pedal but there is a delayed reaction which varies in time from 2 to 10 seconds. It doesn't do it all of the time but it can happen in any gear from 2nd through to 5th. The turbo charger is working fine
    so it seems as though it might be some sensor or valve problem. I went to the garage today and ran it through the computer which gave us an error code 5002. the garage didn't know what this is but we could cancel the error code using the computer which means that the problem is not there all of the time. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience of the same problem and could shed some light on it for me or if anybody knows what the error code 5002 stands for?
    thanks,Peter

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Peter.

welcome to AOC, when was your car fully serviced with all the filters( Genuine Honda parts) being changed. As DTC code was it P0502 ?

please search for the same symptoms on the 7th Generation section it which give you some pointers.if you get stuck please let me know.

3. Jon_G Guest

...Or maybe P2005, intake manifold runner control stuck open?

EDIT: Sorry Peter, I should have explained that '5002' (P5002?) doesn't appear in any of the usually reliable reference material that I use - hence suggesting that maybe P2005 could be a possibly misread alternative. Can you check again with the garage that they gave you the correct error code?

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 14th Aug, 2012
  4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello Peter and welcome to AOC.
    Being a diesel, I just wonder if your problem could be due to the clutch slipping sometimes.
    The diesel tends not to slip on takeoff but when changing gears. How many miles has yours done?

5. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Hi Peter,

... some users in the german Accord-forum had similar problems (don´t know their failure code, but is wasn´t P5002 - I think P5002 is unusual / doesn´t exist anyway) - they had sometimes a malfunction at the "Acceleration Pedal Position Sensor" (APP-Sensor) They found out, that sometimes it simply helps, to disconnect and reconnect the elctro-plug of the sensor (... contact-problems ...). Sometimes the whole sensor had to be changed. The sensor is placed in the engine bay (board of the passenger cabin - the black accelertor cable runs in the housing of the sensor) I don´t know if it really solves your problem, but pherhaps your garage can have a look on it.

Best Regards
    Harald

Last edited: Sunday 19th Aug, 2012
    Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Or can I put the above are inbuilt german gremlins in the bosch sensors and ECU which need reseating, it just goes to prove my stance on DTC on the diesel Accords.

My advise ignore them keep clearing them and see if reapear ,wait until they refuse to erase from the memory then you know you have any issue.

Come on Honda you have to ditch Bosch as the preferred diesel partner they have been bad news since day one and they still are. Please settle your differences with Denso and get the accord some much need Japanese realialbilty. Bosch have been the biggest weakest link on both diesel engines and you know it so please address it.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  7. Jon_G Guest

Maybe, but you can't blame Bosch for the weak clutch and crack-prone exhaust manifold...
    ...two things that currently worry me the most!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Please don't take this is as diesel bashing or anti diesel sentiment. I am fair in my criticism it is with valid grounds backed up with historical data and trends.

I agree with you that the above two components do not have direct relation to Bosch, However you won't see those issues on the I-DTEC the lessons have been learnt and addressed as part of the Honda continuous improvements to vendors.

Those two components are not made my Bosch so it outside their remit. :Wink:

9. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Normally, it´s not my coup of tea to foul the own nest - but I agree, that maybe DENSO had been the better choice / more reliable Common Rail System for the I-CTDI. 2004 even Mercedes Benz and BMW had been on the verge to kick BOSCH out of their diesel jobs (big call backs / the assembly lines of several diesel car´s stopped for a few weeks - BOSCH having big wear problems coming up with their fuel lubricated new high pressure CR-Pump "CP3") The problems were caused by a bad charge with some high loaded pump parts, having a defective wear protection surface / market change to low sulphur diesel with bad lubricity. As the same CP3 is part of the I-CTDI as well, I think using some diesel fuel lubricity improvers could be a good "old age insurance". (I myself permanently add some semisynthetic, low ash-two-cycle engine oil to the diesel fuel - improves lubricity, stopps coking of injectors as well - fortunately never had any problems with the I-CTDI, it runs and runs :Smile:)

But concerning reliability I think BOSCH made a big step forward after this incredible disaster in 2004 and DENSO in the meanwhile some steps backwards. Looking at the current CR-Generation with rised working pressures, multiple injection piezo-injectors (with ultrafine bores) modern particulate filters + afterinjection on the hand hand and biodiesel "contaminated" diesel fuel on the other hand reliability and undestroyable Dieselengines were in the past, I believe. May be DENSO has the little bit more reliable ECU design, but in general both fight against ecological wind mills. Those modern systems are too complicated an overdesigend, a well maintained 90´s Landy, Peugeot, or Mercedes surely is much more reliable and lasting.

Ichiban and SayamaAccord like this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup spot on advise there bud.

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

With regards to the exhaust manifold, I think Honda did the honourable thing and extended the warranty massively. I doubt any other manufacturer would have done that.

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Diesel Accord or German Diesel Mer, BMW VAG no competition, even with the issues noted and a few besides common to the Accord it is still a far better engineered car than anything on offer by the Germans.. No question of that.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Mrbee123 New Member Getting Started

Mrbee123 Chesterfield
    Hi

I've recently had my car serviced and the 5002 unknown code has come up and won't rev above 2000 RPM .

Has any one any ideas what this can be?

Ian

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to the forum Ian, please do pop over to the Introduce Yourself and say a few words about yourself and your car.

Where do you see that code ? Can you take a picture ?

Also was the fuel filter changed as part of the service ?

15. Mrbee123 New Member Getting Started

Mrbee123 Chesterfield
    The fuel filter was changed as part of the service , the mechanic has plugged his laptop in and it just says 5002 unknown code

Ian

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If you can have the code reread somewhere else it may turn out to actually be a different code altogether. 5002 doesn't really mean much.

Was a genuine Honda fuel filter used ? These cars tend not to like non genuine fuel filters.

17. Mrbee123 New Member Getting Started

Mrbee123 Chesterfield
    I don't think a genuine filter was used cos it wasn't a main dealer that did it.

Could it really be that picky About tge filter used ?

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'll let the others guys chip here as diesel is not my forte.

19. Mrbee123 New Member Getting Started

Mrbee123 Chesterfield
    Thanks

I'd appreciate a speedy diagnosis as I am now without a car

Cheers

Ian

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team