Guides problem with Cruise Control

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Tom163, Tuesday 26th Jun, 2012.

1. Tom163 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cruise control issues

Hi everyone,

I have a strange problem with my cruise control the actual cruise control button works and the light comes on the dash but the set button does nothing even when pushed and held it won't keep the speed. Has anyone got any ideas? any fuses I can check? not clued up on cruise control parts lol.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Cruise control issues

Tom,

IIRC 2004 2.0 does not have electronic throttle body, can you take picture of throttle body please?

I have a sneaky feeling your is on the cusp of the 2005 model and your car could have has the cruise control actuator. Follow the throttle cable from the TB and you will see this black box.

If you got the box then you have the non DBW throttle on your car.

3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tom when you press the set button does the second green light come on?
    It could be the switch on the brake pedal or the clutch pedal incorrectly set or not working.

4. Tom163 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will get some pics ASAP mate.

It does'nt no dude wasn't aware there was a second light.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

I would check all the fuses and then as RobB says check the clutch and brake switches for starters.

6. Tom163 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What fuses does the Cruise use as theres nothing in the book and do you know how i'd check these switches? multimeter?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I think you can test by driving above 30mph, pressing the Set button whilst raising either clutch or brake pedal with your left foot, if it comes on then that pedal needs adjusting. Do that test on both pedals.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Your fuses are probably OK actually as the cruise control unit is activating.

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cruise control issues

Becareful if it's the clutch switch you don't adjust it down too far. It has the same effect as riding the clutch.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

In the fuse box in the engine bay Fuse num 13 20A check for that
    In the fuse box under the dash fuse num 18 15A check that too

does your horn work?

Rob has already suggest the brake and clcuth pedal sensors

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If the cruise switch wasn't being pushed with the pedal up, wouldn't the pedal need to be adjusted upwards ?

12. Tom163 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys I will test the pedals tomorrow on the way to work and also have a look at the fuses and I will report back.

Cheers

13. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cruise control issues

I'm sure the switch is adjustable in and out. It's a known issue when the clutch is changed.

14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Cruise control issues

You wouldn't adjust the pedal you would adjust the switch. The switch screws in and out for adjustment then held by a lock nut.

15. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Any luck Tom?

16. Tom163 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry guys didnt have chance today to test but I definitly know it doesn't set when down the motorway with just bit of accelerator and clutch and brake pedals up.

17. Tom163 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update guys! good news I think its either a faulty clutch switch or it just needs adjusting. Today down the motorway it wasn't doing anything when pressing set but as you guys said I just dipped the clutch and brought it back up and it worked!! so happy lol the only thing when going over odd humps it knocks it off as the pedal moves so going to try adjusting it down a bit to make it less sensitive.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Tom did you get the pictures of your throttle body so we can have a look?

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants

I have Cruise Control on my Accord (CL7, '03), up to now I have had no idea how it's meant to function. The steering wheel button activates the dashlight, I'm right in saying I need to depress then let up the clutch to activate it?

20. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cruise control issues

Should be some buttons under the main button on the steering wheel, set accel resume they could say as I'm not near my car at moment pressing set should put another light on next to the cruise main light and then it should work. If it doesn't then you may need to adjust the cruise control switches either on the brake or clutch pedal there is a guide on here somewhere as pressing either of these pedals will turn off the cruise control when it's set so if the switches aren't set right it will think your pressing a peddle down so the cruise won't set.