Engine & Gearbox Problem with FR-V - black smoke from exhaust and smell of plastic burning from engine compartment

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Peter S., Wednesday 18th May, 2016.

1. Peter S. New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Peter S. Whitwick
    Hi everyone. I wonder whether anyone can throw any light on a problem I have had with my diesel FR-V.
    I stalled the engine at a road junction. On start up I got a grating noise from the engine accompanied by loads of black smoke from the exhaust and a distinct smell of burning plastic/rubber and smoke in the engine bay.
    I left the car for a while then started it up and it ran fine and has done so ever since. A local garage has had a look at it and can't find anything amiss.
    I have wondered about a developing turbo problem.
    Anybody got any ideas please?

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello @Peter S. and welcoem to HondaKarma.
    Its customary for new members to atleast introduce themselves in Introduction section before asking questions :Smile: but oh well
    Let me start off by asking a couple of questions.

Is the car mapped?
    How many miles has it got?
    How long have you had it?
    Did you change anything recently??

Zebster likes this.
  3. Peter S. New Member Getting Started

Hello.
    No the car has not been mapped.
    It has done 54k miles.
    Owned it since 2009.
    Not had anything at all done to it recently and it is always serviced at a Honda main agent

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    @Zebster our diesel expert might be able to shed some light on this... :Wink:

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The burning smell is an odd thing! Black smoke does indicate a lack of boost, but that may have been something other a failing turbo, like a loose boost pipe (that has now somehow resealed?)

Did the engine warning light come on? Did the garage check for stored diagnostic trouble codes?

Had you just bought fuel?

6. Peter S. New Member Getting Started

Interesting about the boost pipe - I'll get that checked out.
    The engine warning light didn't come on and I hadn't bought fuel recently.
    The garage that I took it to didn't have any sophisticated diagnostic equipment.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You'd only need a basic OBD2 scanner to check for stored DTCs... Any garage would have at least an OBD2 scanner.

More sophisticated diagnostic equipment - such as the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) or a Snap-On machine with the correct key - would be able to run a series of interactive tests on the different engine sub-systems to look for any weaknesses. That would be a good idea.

The turbo would probably be making more noise than normal if it was beginning to fail. Is the engine oil level OK?