Introductions Problems with 2008 Honda Accord 2.0 Petrol Executive

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by scopie, Wednesday 18th Jan, 2012.

1. scopie Member

Hi there looking for information from members if they have experienced any problems with slipping clutch on 8th Generation Accords. A whirring rotation noise was experienced by myself and my wife some 8 weeks ago, when the clutch is released on pulling away from a standstill. Took the car to our local Honda Dealer, and no fault was found. The car went in today for an A + B service, and because we were still experiencing this problem we mentioned it, and could they take another look. My wife picked up the car after the service, and the service manager approached her to say that they had located the fault, during a rolling road test, but would have to drop the gearbox to carry out further investigation.

The car is 3 years old and has done 27000 miles. I am keen to hear from any other owners experiences of this problem. Any help members can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by SayamaAccord as per AOC Honda Discussion Policy

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Scopie and welcome to AOC.

I can't assist with your query as I own a 7th Generation Accord but other members will be able to.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Scopie and welcome to AOC

Sorry to hear your issues on the 8th Generation petrol Accord, this would be the first instance we have EVER heard of a petrol clutch on a 8th Generation to show your symptoms.

Can you please advise or expand on the history of the car and when did this issue start so we can narrow down the symptoms and guide you how to approach the dealers in order to get satisfactory resolution.

Please be constructive your posts to keep it objective, negativity will not help we want to help you.

4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very rare but as above can you explain the issues and we'll do our best.

Oh and welcome! :Smile:

5. scopie Member

Hi there,
    I will be glad to give further information, and I apologise if my post sounds quite negative, but it has been quite a shock.The symptoms started about 8 weeks ago after the vehicle had been in to have its back brake pads replaced. We noticed when the clutch was released after pulling away from the junction a whirring rotational noise could be heard, but only when pulling away in first gear. The sound does not appear at any other time, or during any other gear selection. The car has a full service history from Honda and was purchased by myself for my wife in July 2009 with 7000 miles on the clock from a Honda dealer in Newton Abbott(Devon).

I will contacting the Service Manager tomorrow to try and get some more information from him. I work with some aircraft maintainers who are big into their cars, and they have suggested the problem could be the Thrust Control Bearing. Any information that you could possibly supply me with that could support my case would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Scopie,

It's totally understandable your anguish and frustration to see a modern reliable car with the symptoms you are experiencing. To be a guessing man and not to speculate it would seem the first 7000 miles of this cars life have been epic and it been around the block a few times before you took ownership of it.

How the car has been driven and by whom in what manner is unknown, would I be right to say this car was an ex demonstrator? if so they are extensively tested by prospecting customers who are eager Lewis Hamilton's in the making.

Now not to say you and your dear wife are bad drivers it would seem there is a failure or damage to one of the components.

Since your car is a 2008 car it is technically out of standard warranty but if you approach the service manager is a friendly way. He or she can approach Honda UK for guidance on such cases for customer goodwill. 99.9% for Honda to ascertain what’s caused will instruct the dealer to strip the car at their cost.. Reading between the lines this service manager has pro-actively already done that for you perhaps forgot to mention this to you.
    Ask the dealer is they can do anything as a gesture of goodwill; they will strip and carry out a flywheel runout and physical inspection. If the examination reveals a manufacturing fault they will give you a satisfactory solution which can be fully funded by Honda or it may be partly funded by you.

This is directly dependent in how you approach it..

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    i have yet to see an 8th Generation petrol clutch slip. i am sure dealer technical support will be very interested in this problem if it is the case and no doubt the dealer who has looked at your car will have been in contact with them. has the car been serviced by honda since new?.....even so with your cars mileage you will find honda looks after customers very well if approached in the correct way. lets hope for a speedy solution.

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    sorry you answerd my question in the last post. FSH and low mileage is a bonus as far as goodwill goes and again, if approached in the right manor honda are very good at resolving this sort of problem.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Scopie any news on this from the dealer?

10. scopie Member

Hi there,
    managed to speak to the Service Manager on Friday, which has left me feeling a little better about the problem we are facing. The Service Manager has put most of my fears to rest and has assured me that they always work towards a satisfactory outcome in favour of the customer. The car is booked in on the 30th of this month, and they have supplied a courtesy car for the period it will be in the workshop. A big thank you to all the forum members who answered my call for information, it was much appreciated. I will keep you posted to any updates and developments.

Kind Regards

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to AOC Scopie, hope it's sorted soon.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well that a good start fingers crossed it is sorted for you.

13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks for the update...sounds a more hopeful situation.

It may be just one bearing...although speaking for myself, after 3 years and 30k I would replace my whole clutch if everything had to come apart to check, even if that cost me the price of the clutch kit out my own pocket.

14. scopie Member

Excellent result form Lincoln Honda, have just received a call from the service manager to say that they have looked at the clutch after dropping the gearbox, and it does show some premature wear for its age and mileage. The warranty company have agreed to fund the repairs (£800), and we should get the car back within the next couple of days. Fantastic result which has fully restored my faith in the Honda name. I would like to say a big thank you to everyone on this forum for their advice and assistance.

Happy Motoring

15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Happy days,superb news.

16. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

So a complete new clutch kit, costs covered under warranty, and back on the road next week.

That's a terrific outcome which will please everyone following this thread.

Thanks for letting us know, and enjoy the car now that this episode is behind you.

17. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Brilliant news and glad your confidence in Honda has been restored.

18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to the club and glad to see Honda have upheld their great service to its customers. Now you can look forward to many years happy motoring.